Web hosting services...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
...what does everyone use, and who has the best rates for the service? I found some dude on craigslist who will design a startup site for free if I sign up with his hosting service:http://syberservice.com/sitesamples/samples.htmlthe samples on this page are kinda but he said he can do more creative ones. Thanks!

Comments

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    It really depends on what you intend on doing with the site. If you are going to do any e-com, lots of graphics, or expect heavy traffic, you would obviously need a more robust package. The thing about the link you included is that he doesn't say anything about how much data transfer you get, e-mails, ftp, etc.

I just changed over to bluehost.com and they have been very good, thus far. Excellent customer service (vital!), mysql/php, 15 gig storage, 400 gigs transfer, 6 domains on one account, etc. It was also super easy to change over from my last amazingly incompetent host. This was all for about $100 a year.

I would also save the extra money and get a homie to design it in a more creative way. But then again, i'm still not sure what type of site you are looking to do.

Hope this helps.

-lauren

...what does everyone use, and who has the best rates for the service? I found some dude on craigslist who will design a startup site for free if I sign up with his hosting service:

http://syberservice.com/sitesamples/samples.html

the samples on this page are kinda but he said he can do more creative ones.

Thanks!

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I have used bluehost for nearly one year and have been reasonably happy with their model and have recommended them to clients as well... but just yesterday a major DDOS attack took all bluehost servers offline for what I would say was a significant amount of time (more than 1 hr). I am watching their response to this incident closely to determine whether or not I am going to stick with bluehost.

It really depends on what you intend on doing with the site. If you are going to do any e-com, lots of graphics, or expect heavy traffic, you would obviously need a more robust package. The thing about the link you included is that he doesn't say anything about how much data transfer you get, e-mails, ftp, etc.

I just changed over to bluehost.com and they have been very good, thus far. Excellent customer service (vital!), mysql/php, 15 gig storage, 400 gigs transfer, 6 domains on one account, etc. It was also super easy to change over from my last amazingly incompetent host. This was all for about $100 a year.

I would also save the extra money and get a homie to design it in a more creative way. But then again, i'm still not sure what type of site you are looking to do.

Hope this helps.

-lauren

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    damn, i didn't even notice the downtime. good to know.

I know that alot of folks on here endorse powweb.com. I've heard nothing but good things about them as well.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Thanks Ana, Thanks Paren - good info to keep in mind...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    You get what you pay for. Don't expect great service for less than $10 a month. If I have a major site to host I always relied on interland.com (now web.com?) but for sites I don't pay much attention to it's godaddy.com all the way.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I have about 8 sites registered under bluehost.com, None of them went down during or after the attack. I'm about to register my 9th tomorrow.

- spidey