Howard Tate verve LP help please.

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
not his "get it while you can", but does anyone know if it was reissued as a s/t? I have a verve promo with the same songs as "get it", but a couple single b-sides added on. Cover has Howard and a bulldog on the cover. Thinkin it is from the time when he had his atlantic LP out. anyone know when this s/t is from

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I have a verve promo with the same songs as "get it", but a couple single b-sides added on. Cover has Howard and a bulldog on the cover.
    I thought this was the OG.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It is a second press of sorts repackaged with (IMO) a better cover and I guess a couple additional songs... although from my memory the two LPs had exactly the same tracks.

I actually get a bit more for the 2nd press, a bit less common and a cooler cover.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    not his "get it while you can", but does anyone know if it was reissued as a s/t? I have a verve promo with the same songs as "get it", but a couple single b-sides added on. Cover has Howard and a bulldog on the cover. Thinkin it is from the time when he had his atlantic LP out. anyone know when this s/t is from

1969. The Atlantic album is from 1972.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    thanks y'all...

yeah , "stop" and "sweet love child" are not on the original LP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It is a second press of sorts repackaged with (IMO) a better cover and I guess a couple additional songs... although from my memory the two LPs had exactly the same tracks.

I actually get a bit more for the 2nd press, a bit less common and a cooler cover.

Thanks guys, I've always been confused by those 2. I love HT.

Guess we'll agree to disagree, because to me a B&W photo of the man himself (on a purple background!) is far better than some pop-art drawing of Howard and a bulldog (as in "How Come My Bulldog Don't Bark," a song on the album?).

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    If you want to get technical about it, Tate has 4 pre-disappearance LPs (and several 45s to support each): The two Verve issues (1967's GIWYC and the 1969 Bulldog reissue), His 1969 Reaction album on Lloyd Price's Turntable label, and the 1972 s/t on Atlantic. After those, one 1974 single on Epic and two private press singles around 1980. Then, Tate entered a two-decade black hole of homelessness and addiction that nearly claimed his life. But in 2004, on a cold February night in Chicago, the man proved that after all he'd lost in the 35 years since his last hometown concert, he still had the voice (and, more importantly, his Soul) intact.

It bears repeating: Welcome back, Howard.

E-fucking-ssential Chicago soul.

Well, he's not from Chicago, but it is beyond a shadow of a doubt Essential Soul for damn sure!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I read in the Chicago Reader in 2004 that he was from these parts, which was odd, since I had previously thought he was from the south. Oh, well.

I don't know...he may have been born in the Chi, but I think he was based out of Philly during his hitmaking years.

• It is a second press of sorts repackaged with (IMO) a better cover and I guess a couple additional songs... although from my memory the two LPs had exactly the same tracks.

Guess we'll agree to disagree, because to me a B&W photo of the man himself (on a purple background!) is far better than some pop-art drawing of Howard and a bulldog (as in "How Come My Bulldog Don't Bark," a song on the album?).

Cosign. That picture of Tate with his uber-conk is amazing.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Oh god... never argue with JP or Larry about soul records... ok you like the basic picture of Tate on purple background... ok.... good for you two... to me it looks like pretty much a lot of other soul LPs from the time, more or less a stock cover with a picture of Tate which doesn't do much for me.