eBay Bountyhunting? (LegalStrut Related)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I just had a thought inpsired by a possible thief who took my money. Would it be possible to file the claim/complaint with the police dept. regarding someone who either stole merchandise, stole your money (didn't ship, said item wasn't received) and then have someone go Dog the Bounty Hunter on them for a private party? I think there's a LOTTA eBay peoples who would do this big time if it was legal. Holleur your thoughts

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I just had a thought inpsired by a possible thief who took my money. Would it be possible to file the claim/complaint with the police dept....

Police departments are local entities so unless the person happens to be on the other side of the same town, I can't imagine that they'd be very interested.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    So if they cash a check I sent to them, it's not in their jurisdiction to handle fraud for not sending goods?

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    The problem with this is that the costs out-weigh the losses in most cases.

Am I going to fly to Germany to badger a dude who sent me a VG+ record instead of VG++? It's probably not worth my time/money.

Now, If we're talking about big ticket items like property, or boats, or cars, then I'll all for it!

However, even the legality behind such bounty-hunting would likely be questionable.

The moral of the story? Stick to buying shit worth less than $1,000 or whatever amount you can afford to lose and not be out on the streets because of it.

The few times I've had to converse with eBay customer service was a nightmare of scripted responses that didn't answer any of my questions. Online trading is simply too 'new' and 'risky' to be dependable enough for me to buy a major ticket item through it just yet.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    if you sent him a check... you've got his address.

round up some friends and make a road trip to his living room!

I sure do have his address, and if my goods or refund doesn't come shortly, he sure is gonna receive a visit.

And I might even get the sockface made for the occasion....

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    I just had a thought inpsired by a possible thief who took my money. Would it be possible to file the claim/complaint with the police dept....

Police departments are local entities so unless the person happens to be on the other side of the same town, I can't imagine that they'd be very interested.

Isn't the F.B.I. helpful in such cases (for those in the USA)?

I would imagine that interstate wire-fraud would come into play, no?

Even still, I imagine there are a few groups of people:

1. Write it off/Too ashamed to go to authorities.

2. Talk tough about calling law and never getting around to it/Content to leave

biting feedback.

3. Those who do contact law-enforcement, and get tired of all the red-tape,and quit.

4. Those who are successfully prosecuted, like the dude and his wife who stole

$25,000 in phony iPod auctions right before Christmas 2005.

Still, it seems like justice is rare on eBay.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yes I believe the FBI's website has forms you can fill out for mail fraud.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Late 80's there was a guy who went by the name Johnny Rock & Roll.....sold high dollar rockabilly 45's to lotsa Euro guys......ripped one off for a few grand and dude showed up at his P.O. Box in Florida and beat the crap out of Johhny R&R.

Hasn't been heard from since.

Bye Bye Johnny.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Mail b0mb?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    How about a soulstrut enforcer network?! The Soul Strut Gardian Angels or some shit! There are folks from tons of places, just hit up the network and find a Strutter in said town, and let him or her lay down the law on the crook in question. Not necessarily bodily harm (unless the enforcer is a real badass who's down for crackin' skulls), more like ominous hand delivered notes, flaming bags of poo on the doorstep, slashed tires etc etc. If we all band together, no record crime shall go unpunished! Power to the soulstrut people!

^^^^^^^ Soulstrut Hit Squad.............