Short Eyes (CMR)

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Cant get enough of this album at the moment.and thats all i got to say about that.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This is a really strong record. It's also worth checking out the film to see Curtis bust into falsetto song in a circle of fellow inmates who are feelin' it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This is a really strong record. It's also worth checking out the film to see Curtis bust into falsetto song in a circle of fellow inmates who are feelin' it.

Oh shit.

I gotta admit ive never seen it,the album is just slaying me right now.
    im off to the video store to try and find it tonight.

• Supposedly this soundtrack brought Curtom to the brink of going bust; they over-anticipated on it being a hit the size of the "Superfly" score.

Dunno the full details though, so to anyone that can fill in the gaps: yes please!

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts

That movie is intense. Very good indeed.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    The do do wap is strong in here.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    "Short Eyes" is a great album. People tend to overlook it because it's all over the bins, but it's got some really strong songs on it. Never seen the movie. TexMex singer Freddy Fender is in it, right? Drewn, what song is Curtis perfoming?

Pax MD

• "Short Eyes" is a great album. People tend to overlook it because it's all over the bins

Plaese to tell me where these bins are.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    TexMex singer Freddy Fender is in it, right?

Freddy singing Curtis' "Break It Down" is easily my favorite scene of the movie. I was a little disappointed that Curtis only sang along to the soundtrack. Freddy Fender's was raw, on some acapella, bangin' the beat out on the table shit.

Herm

"Short Eyes" is a great album. People tend to overlook it because it's all over the bins

oh hell yes.

Freddy singing Curtis' "Break It Down" is easily my favorite scene of the movie. I was a little disappointed that Curtis only sang along to the soundtrack. Freddy Fender's was raw, on some acapella, bangin' the beat out on the table shit.

Herm

AS a matter of fact, I've posted my VHS rip of that song before. I'll try to find my CD and post it again.

Herm

• "Short Eyes" is a great album. People tend to overlook it because it's all over the bins

oh hell yes.

What is this, a 15-20 dollar record? Those records aren't "all over the bins".

"Short Eyes" is a great album. People tend to overlook it because it's all over the bins

oh hell yes.

i saw one for 20 euro yesterday. i wish music of that caliber was all over my local bins...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

oh hell yes.

Although of course the usual regional/geographical restrictions
    apply, this record was extremely common for years, because
    of the very thing refered to earlier in the thread - Curtom expected
    this to be a huge smash and pressed up massive amounts of the LP, only
    to have it be an absolute bomb, and the LP's sat on shelves. I can speak
    from personal experience that for years, Short Eyes was one of
    those albums where it would be the ONLY record in the Curtis "section" of
    your local store, when you were checking for Roots or Sweet Exorcist
    there would only be that same old copy of Short Eyes and maybe a
    Superfly with the flap torn off.

Of course, now things have changed somewhat, the record buying public's
    tastes have expanded, and it's not as ubiquitous, but it is still one
    of the more "common" Curtis LP's out there.

and maybe a
    Superfly with the flap torn off.

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts

oh hell yes.

i saw one for 20 euro yesterday. i wish music of that caliber was all over my local bins...

Short Eyes is very good indeed. One of the most underrated Curtis LPs..

(I have a few clean copies if anyone needs it..)

(I have a few clean copies if anyone needs it..)

Gentlemen start your PM's

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I sell the record for $20, and I generally pass copies now because I already have a few that aren't really moving. Slept on...

Herm

AS a matter of fact, I've posted my VHS rip of that song before. I'll try to find my CD and post it again.

Herm

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0L14CQBPRVLXF0EP937VVD53PC