international ring-finger question (NRR)

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Here in the states, married/engaged women wear their rings on their lefthand ring finger. (and I think it is on the righthand ringfinger in the UK, no?). Anyway, the last three girls I dated were from south america (Peru to be exact) and every one of them wore rings on their ring finger (US ringfinger). When I asked what was up, they said that they didnt pay attention to such things.Do latinas have a different way to signify they are taken? What about other countries? I dont want to hit on married women, but Im not tryin to miss out because of some cultural misnderstanding. International strutters, break it down.I need a ring-finger decoder-ring or something.

Comments

• umm, where are you finding all these peruanas?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Here in the states, married/engaged women wear their rings on their lefthand ring finger. (and I think it is on the righthand ringfinger in the UK, no?).

No.

That reversal of sides thing between the two countries only really applies to cars. Women wear their rings on the left hand in the UK too.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, my southamerican experience:

Women use the wedding ring just like over there:

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, that doesn't look like a woman's hand, right?

Wifey and I agreed not to use rings, so I am a ring virgin.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Wifey and I agreed not to use rings

That's interesting. Why?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Wifey and I agreed not to use rings

That's interesting. Why?

It was like "You and I know we're married, do we need the rest of the world to know it all the time?"

A sort of anti-conventional thing.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i believe its Eastern Orthodox who wear the ring on the right hand. Those who believe in the one true Church still wear it on the left.

Catholicism bitches!