ebay "Want It Now"

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
i'm not too sure of how new this feature is (so pardon me if this question is premature), but has anyone had any success in tracking down their wanted rekkids through this?

Comments

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    i JUST saw it before you posted this. i think it's pretty new. seems like an OK idea as well.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    A Reynaldo wet dream come true!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yes. some guy sold me Skull Snaps for fifty cents.

• explain

explain

Ebay is a such seller's market, and this seems a weak attempt to turn it into more of a buyer's market. Let's face it, buyers are looking for a cheap deal and sellers are looking for top dollar.

Also, there is no way in hell I'm putting my wants list online the same place people also sell. I can come up on nice deals, but only through either perserverence or obscurity.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Want list are sacred

imagine the want lists of certain important people....and imagine if those lists became public

are these public want lists on ebay? i haven't checked it yet....esplain

• Ebay is a such seller's market, and this seems a weak attempt to turn it into more of a buyer's market. Let's face it, buyers are looking for a cheap deal and sellers are looking for top dollar.

Also, there is no way in hell I'm putting my wants list online the same place people also sell. I can come up on nice deals, but only through either perserverence or obscurity.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    explain

Ebay is a such seller's market, and this seems a weak attempt to turn it into more of a buyer's market. Let's face it, buyers are looking for a cheap deal and sellers are looking for top dollar.

I don't understand exactly how this works (well, how it works at all really) but you don't need to be doing these sellers any damn favors...

• Want list are sacred

imagine the want lists of certain important people....and imagine if those lists became public

are these public want lists on ebay? i haven't checked it yet....esplain
    i definately agree, as well as with aschrock's post. the only situation in which i'd envision myself using this feature, is when there's some not-so-rare record that i absolutely need at the moment, but can't find anywhere. and even then, i wouldn't expect a good deal or whatever...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Has anyone on here actually seen or known somebody who put up their record wants on eBay like that?

I don't know dudes, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Just like people watch some items just to see what they go for, etc - I don't think this Want it Now can be interpreted as a concrete want-list. maybe you own a record that you've never seen before on eBay and you want to know what it pulls or if anyone else is up on it.

or am i not fully undersanding the feature?

You guys talk as though you all don't want the exact same records.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    HA!

Here's what's listed as a Good Example of a Want It Now listing:

Good example (the item and description are specific)
    I am searching for: Beatles Magical Mystery Tour album
    Describe it in more detail:
    I'm looking for the original vinyl record, which was released in 1967. It needs to be in excellent condition with no scratches. My price range is $20 to $50. I'm willing to pay more for quality! Thanks.
    Category: Music

You guys talk as though you all don't want the exact same records.

Outside of a few singles, I don't have a wantlist

I don't know what I'm looking for until I've found it... and I don't really buy old records online.

HA!

Here's what's listed as a Good Example of a Want It Now listing:

Good example (the item and description are specific)
    I am searching for: Beatles Magical Mystery Tour album
    Describe it in more detail:
    I'm looking for the original vinyl record, which was released in 1967. It needs to be in excellent condition with no scratches. My price range is $20 to $50. I'm willing to pay more for quality! Thanks.
    Category: Music
    PS: I live in a cave.[/b]

I have no idea how this works or even where its located??? Where is it?

myebay in the column on the left

• Is the difference this and "favorite searches" the fact that "want it now" is made public? If so, I can see this as a useful tool for those that are seeking one specific perhaps esoteric thing.

I dont' get it... you can post the price you'd like to pay but its irrelevant because the item is still posted on ebay proper for all to see, correct?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this just seems like a logistical nightmare to me. i dunno. ebay needs to chill with all the crazy features. i'm hoping this is something they try out and it fails miserably and they give up.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I dont' get it... you can post the price you'd like to pay but its irrelevant because the item is still posted on ebay proper for all to see, correct?
    Yeah, but a seller might use a "want it now" price as the "buy it now" price--never know.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Yeah, but a seller might use a "want it now" price as the "buy it now" price--never know.

Therefor, nominate an arbitrary amount, and post it on all your wants (lets say $15) and your never going to tip anyone off to a fairly unknown record being worth bank, and you also maybe come up on said BIN's.

Yeah... one could even provide a number of links to fabricated ended auctions with said unknown $$$ record ending at like $15 a bunch of times with several bids. Damn, I got work to do...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Yeah... one could even provide a number of links to fabricated ended auctions with said unknown $$$ record ending at like $15 a bunch of times with several bids. Damn, I got work to do...

this is funny and sad at the same time

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This has been around for a long time - I tried it
    when it first came out, like a year ago, for a Clarence Reid record that
    was fairly common and I was hoping to get a little cheaper
    than it had been going for. Never heard from anybody - I get
    the feeling not too many sellers are checking it, partly
    because the way it's set up is too complicated.

I got mouths to feed.

I got mouths to feed.

Really? Wife and kids on your back?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts