Ebay power outage

peacefulrotationpeacefulrotation 3,481 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
eBay experienced a power outage at a principal hosting facility in the Bay Area. Some eBay functions and listings are now available, and we are working to fully restore the rest of the site. We will keep you updated on progress, and we appreciate your patience.unfortunately this just happened/is happening, as a good amount of my auctions were ending. What recourse do I have, if any? I'm pretty damn positive this has effected the final values.

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outage Policy
    Our highest priority is your trading success. However, eBay occasionally experiences outages during which bidders cannot place bids or cannot effectively locate items via our Title Search function. When these outages occur, we offer this Outage Policy to compensate for your inconvenience.
    Title Search Outage of 1 or more hours:

eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings.
    The following listings will be eligible for credit:
    Any listing scheduled to end during the outage
    Any listing scheduled to end in the hour after the end of the outage
    Unlike our policy for Hard Outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended
    Hard Outage of more than 1 hour but less than 2 hours:

eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings
    The following listings will be eligible for credit:
    Additionally, credit will be issued for the 10-cent promotional fee on any 10-day listing that is running during the outage (regardless of the time it's scheduled to end)
    Includes either of the following features:
    View Item
    Bidding
    Unlike our policy for Hard Outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended
    Hard Outage of two hours or more:

eBay automatically extends listings for 24 hours
    eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings
    The following listings will be eligible for extension and credit:
    Additionally, credit will be issued for the 10-cent promotional fee on any 10-day listing that is running during the outage (regardless of the time it's scheduled to end)
    Includes either one or all of the following features:
    View Item
    Bidding
    What do we consider to be a Hard Outage?
    A hard outage occurs when no one can bid (specifically View Item pages are inaccessible and/or bidding functionality is not available) as a result of unscheduled system downtime. At our discretion, eBay may consider two outages that occur very closely to one another to be one hard outage when extending listings.

Listings that end prior to an outage will not be extended.

What do we consider to be a Title Search Outage?
    A Title Search outage occurs when items are not accessible via Title Search as a result of unscheduled system downtime.

During an Outage
    Updates will be posted on the Announcements Board during an outage. Please check there for details about the outage and possible listing extensions.

When Listings are Extended
    Following a hard outage of two or more hours, eBay will extend the end times for all eligible listings by 24 hours. This activity prevents bidding on these listings while the end times are being reset. After the listing end times have been reset, eBay updates search and listing indexes. Until these index updates are completed, these listings will be unavailable via Search or Listings. This re-indexing can take a few hours.

To End Your Listing
    eBay offers the Outage Policy as a courtesy. However, you may be satisfied with the bidding activity before the extended listing end time. If you are, you may end your listing at any time at:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

If you choose, you may cancel your auction after ending all bids at:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

SCHEDULED DOWNTIME
    eBay periodically schedules system downtime for maintenance and other purposes. This scheduled downtime is not covered by this policy. Listings that end during, or are otherwise affected by, scheduled downtime will not be extended nor will credits be issued, even though bidders are not able to place bids at the close of the listing.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Crazy. California's power grid is so fucked up, this is bound to happen again. Wait till the middle of the summer when everyone is running their air conditioners.
    eBay should look into setting things up on a more stable power structure.

• Hey thanks man...I should have looked that up! I didn't realize they had guidelines for that posted.

• Oh shit! I noticed the ebay skitzo thread is about this as well: rather than a crazed user with more than one personality...sorry 'bout that.

• WHAO!

So peep this...I went to go try to make some sense out of the botched auctions just now. To my suprise they are back up and running, ebay turned them into 6 DAY AUCTIONS! (as opposed to the original 5 days) Good way to cover their asses I suppose. That works for me.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    WHAO!

So peep this...I went to go try to make some sense out of the botched auctions just now. To my suprise they are back up and running, ebay turned them into 6 DAY AUCTIONS! (as opposed to the original 5 days) Good way to cover their asses I suppose. That works for me.

So that's why I was feeling deja vu this morning during my eBay and coffee routine!

DJ Ferrari