snitch? (nrr)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I was just in line at Dunkin Donuts and saw some dirty old man (probably homeless) creep up to the counter and swipe a dollar from the tip jar and then creep back to his seat. The guy in front of me definitely witnessed it too, but neither of us said anything. I feel like a b*tch now, especially since i get coffee there twice a day and their employees are generally hard working and courteous. On the other hand...while stealing is wrong, the guy who took the money obviously needed it and if I snitched on him, I can't imagine that anything would have been accomplished. What would you have done in my situation? And I don't mean after-the-fact (i.e, go back and put a dollar in the jar).

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I'd give him another dollar and tell 'em to stop stealin'.

• yeah I'd probably just replace the buck.

• I'd take his dollar buy myself a donut and tell 'em to stop stealin'.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    no way, man. that's fucking bullshit. i'd not only call him out, i'd call the cops, and then he could try his hand at stealing garbage again. sounds harsh, but stealing some minimum wage worker's tips, is low-ball.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    sending a sad, poor old man trying to eak out the most meager of existances by petty theft to jail, is low-ball.

• no way, man. that's fucking bullshit. i'd not only call him out, i'd call the cops, and then he could try his hand at stealing garbage again. sounds harsh, but stealing some minimum wage worker's tips, is low-ball.

i think your right. i am trying to rationalize my decision, but the real reason i didnt say anything was probably just because it was easier not to.

sending an old homeless guy to jail for stealing a dollar is definitely but i'm sure if me and the other dude said something to him (like: put that dollar back fool!) he would have just done it and bounced.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sending a sad, poor old man trying to eak out the most meager of existances by petty theft to jail, is low-ball.
    that's cool... what percetage of your net income is donated to said cretins? i'll bet it's less than 15%, plus, i'll also be willing to wager that you're not working a minimum wage, donut shop, type job.

-plus, calling the police probably wouldn't land "him" in jail, but he surely wouldn't go back to the same spot. a year or so ago, this happened to my girlfriend (she worked as a barista)... some dood just walked in and carried out the tip jar. she had been working all day, had a grueling day, and just started crying. would you coddle that guy too?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would beat the shit out that guy with the maglite under the counter if he did that to me at work