Enough politics. I'm hungry. (SF related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone know if there's even a half-assed decent place in SF to get Mandarin/Shanghai style brunch? No offense to dim sum lovers but if I never cross another tin of shu mai in my lifetime, it'll be too soon.Gimme some yow tao, batches!!!

Comments

• edubedub 715 Posts
    dunno what yow tao is, but I went to Yank Sing yesterday for brunch. We had some of those little dumplings with soup inside - what's the name of those? damn, them shits was tasty!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    xiao long bao in Mandarin

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dunno what yow tao is, but I went to Yank Sing yesterday for brunch. We had some of those little dumplings with soup inside - what's the name of those? damn, them shits was tasty!

I posted a picture of yow tao, dude. Deep fried dough sticks for the unitiated. Very unhealthy yet

As for soup dumplings, I'm sure Yank Sing makes 'em passable but those originated in Shanghai, not Canton. If you want some real good ones, try the Shanghai Dumpling Shop in the Sunset.

I can't stand to eat yo tiaow anymore unless its wedged in a shao bing or something

do jiang gives me gas,

M

I can't stand to eat yo tiaow anymore unless its wedged in a shao bing or something

do jiong gives me gas,
    M

You're fake-lactose intolerant? Wicked.

dude,

I thought I was lactose intolerant and I converted to soy milk and next thing I know I'm keeling over with the worst stomach attacks ever.

Since I've cut out most tofu and soymilk out of my diet, I have been fine.

Yup faketose intolerant, hah. Took me 20 years to figure it out, too.

-M

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    you mean "yao ja kwai" like those they have for congee ?

thats that real schit!

• hi friends!

closest ive had was taiwan restaurant in the inner richmond. i forego that nasty salted hot soy milk shit though. the donuts are always fresh during brunch time and they make a decent bowl of sesame paste noodle jar jar meng [i know i fucked up the spelling]. their shanghai dumpling aint bad either. oh and they make those rice noodle disc shape joints. dont know what that's called but that shit is good. oh and the scallion pancakes. anyways, there's a bomb joint over here in like alhambra or somewheres.

• dude,

I thought I was lactose intolerant and I converted to soy milk and next thing I know I'm keeling over with the worst stomach attacks ever.

Since I've cut out most tofu and soymilk out of my diet, I have been fine.

Yup faketose intolerant, hah. Took me 20 years to figure it out, too.

-M

..much respect for un-hippiefying. Tofu and Soymilk is for girls

"If we stop eating veal, thats good, but if we stop eating meat entirely, we actually become vaginas."

- Southpark

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    hi friends!

closest ive had was taiwan restaurant in the inner richmond. i forego that nasty salted hot soy milk shit though. the donuts are always fresh during brunch time and they make a decent bowl of sesame paste noodle jar jar meng [i know i fucked up the spelling]. their shanghai dumpling aint bad either. oh and they make those rice noodle disc shape joints. dont know what that's called but that shit is good. oh and the scallion pancakes. anyways, there's a bomb joint over here in like alhambra or somewheres.

yes! Taiwan was my joint! My girl Thea and her kid and I ate there on a weekly basis. I usually had chow mein and chinese brocolli with veggie dumplings but I know they got some fried shit in the window.

but Ton Kiang is my fave for lunch, I know, it's dim sum, but I can't wait to go back now that I've started eating fish. It's on!

Taiwan, at best, is a'ight (though they do make the best General Tzou's Chicken round these parts). But in terms of coming right and exact with Mandarin breakfast? I know hole in the wall joints in Alhambra and San Gabriel (Real Shigz Know the Deal???) that would kick Taiwan's ass. SF is too Cantonese heavy I fear.

hi friends!

yes! Taiwan was my joint! My girl Thea and her kid and I ate there on a weekly basis. I usually had chow mein and chinese brocolli with veggie dumplings but I know they got some fried shit in the window.

but Ton Kiang is my fave for lunch, I know, it's dim sum, but I can't wait to go back now that I've started eating fish. It's on!

• give it a try man. it aint gonna compare to the alhambra joints but its about as good as you can find in sf. well, maybe. sam tung on irving and 11th has some northern chinese grub. one of my favorite spots ever!!!

hey man, you guys gonna do oshogatsu? wasnt your baby born this year? that means free mochi.

and

Hi DJ anna!