V.I.P. label

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I got this record recently by Hearts of Stone on the V.I.P. label which is a subsidiary of Motown. Any other cool records I should know about on this label? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Elgins LP is pretty nice; mid-60's male & female group soul.

There is a garage 45 on the label by the Underdogs, a cover of Chris Connor's "Love's Gone Bad" backed by a cover of Esther Phillips' "Mojo Hannah" that is KILLER. "Love's Gone Bad" is on the Nuggets box, and should be bought immediately if found.

There is a great Spinners LP on the label that collects their early 45's, and there is an early King Floyd LP on V.I.P. that is great, IMO way better than his later work on Cotillion/Chimneyville.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

the spinners "2nd time around" lp. if anyone's got a double of this holler at me. been trying to track down a nice copy.

• There is a great Spinners LP on the label that collects their early 45's, and there is an early King Floyd LP on V.I.P. that is great, IMO way better than his later work on Cotillion/Chimneyville.

It's a reissue of an earlier album that Floyd did for Pulsar.

• The Elgins LP is pretty nice; mid-60's male & female group soul.

There is a garage 45 on the label by the Underdogs, a cover of Chris Connor's "Love's Gone Bad"

It was Chris Clark a white artist on motown. Slammin tune! She has another one on VIP called 'I Want To Go Back There Again' that is really achingly beautiful. There is alot of classic shit on that label. The Spinners moved over from Motown proper to VIP and did 'It's A Shame' which you all know. Some really nice northern style shizz on this imprint. Elgins, Ivy Jo, Adantes, Velvettes, Monitors and the toughest Patrice Holloway. thats Brenda's sister.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's a reissue of an earlier album that Floyd did for Pulsar.

It was Chris Clark a white artist on motown.

Yeah, I'm generally only good for around 78 percent accurate information.

I wanna check out the Pulsar pressing on that Floyd joint.

It's funny I forgot Chris Clark's name, since it was on my mind anyway - a friend was just telling me the Chris Clark LP on Motown was his "score of the year." Since he is a globe-trotting obsessive digger in a touring band, I didn't take it lightly.

I have multiples of a Monitors 45 on VIP, and I think a few of a Spinners tune as well. I'd have to dig for them but if anyone wants a couple, let me know via PM.

• ok, i have question. is elgins on vip the same elgins on lummtone?

my favorite vip record is the common goodness "heaven must have sent you". i love me that song.

• ok, i have question. is elgins on vip the same elgins on lummtone?

my favorite vip record is the common goodness "heaven must have sent you". i love me that song.

Its not the same group. I think the shared name with the motown group may have been an issue for them cuz they later re-released their biggie 'I Lost My Love In The Big City' under the name the Daniels on Lantam. Great fucking cut!

• cool, thanks! i just find that odd cuz "elgins" doesnt seem like a very common name so that 2 groups were named this is just strange to me. unless there's some 60s context that im just not getting. anyways, my favorite elgins cut on lummtone is your lovely ways.