can't stop won't stop appreciation. backpack check

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Finally got around to this and I must say it's very comprehensive and (so far) a joy to read. Props to Chang and everyone else involved.*THAT REAL SCHITT*

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Finally got around to this and I must say it's very comprehensive and (so far) a joy to read. Props to Chang and everyone else involved.

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

It, unfortunately, derails towards the end but that first third is incredible.

• Yep, an amazing effort...
    I bought it when it came out & I'm still going through it. Dude has a BLOG[/b] as well.

Now to find an affordable copy of 'It's Not About A Salary'...

• Just finished the second chapter last night. I am really digging it so far. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it seems really comprehensive. The description of postcolonial Jamaica was really fascinating. I can???t wait to read more.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Finally got around to this and I must say it's very comprehensive and (so far) a joy to read. Props to Chang and everyone else involved.

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

The chapters on NY Gangs are ridiculous. I got less and less interested as the focus shifted towards the west coast, actually.

• that first third is incredible.

Word. You know, being the hattoire de rigeur that I am, I was ready for the gag reflex that I get when approached by "THAT REAL SCHITT"

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

The chapters on NY Gangs are ridiculous. I got less and less interested as the focus shifted towards the west coast, actually.

Well, I thought the west coast stuff was worthwhile, too; I was referring more to the way that his agenda of likening organic youth movements of previous decades to present-day "hip-hop activism" (something I'm not convinced even exists) dominated the closing chapters.

• Well, I thought the west coast stuff was worthwhile, too; I was referring more to the way that his agenda of likening organic youth movements of previous decades to present-day "hip-hop activism" (something I'm not convinced even exists) dominated the closing chapters.

So I take it you haven't read Bakari Kitwana's Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: Wangstas, Wiggers, Wannabes, and the New Reality of Race in America.

Unfortunately, I have read it. So much promise, in concept. So very in reality.

Well, I thought the west coast stuff was worthwhile, too; I was referring more to the way that his agenda of likening organic youth movements of previous decades to present-day "hip-hop activism" (something I'm not convinced even exists) dominated the closing chapters.

So I take it you haven't read Bakari Kitwana's Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: Wangstas, Wiggers, Wannabes, and the New Reality of Race in America.

Unfortunately, I have read it. So much promise, in concept. So very in reality.

That dude is not really a writer I can get with at all.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

Shhhhh....I am only halfway thru it...Professor Griff just gave his infamous "jews=wickedness" interview. Everything so far has been a pleasure to read n the bus.

This weekend I found a cheap new copy of "Yes Yes Y'all", the oral history of the first ten years, put together by Charlie Ahearn of 'Wild Style' fame. That has the pictures and first-hand perspectives that really illuminate the first few chapters of 'Can't Stop Won't Stop". Reccomended.

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

Shhhhh....I am only halfway thru it...Professor Griff just gave his infamous "jews=wickedness" interview. Everything so far has been a pleasure to read n the bus.

This weekend I found a cheap new copy of "Yes Yes Y'all", the oral history of the first ten years, put together by Charlie Ahearn of 'Wild Style' fame. That has the pictures and first-hand perspectives that really illuminate the first few chapters of 'Can't Stop Won't Stop". Reccomended.

Yeah, that book is great.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

It, unfortunately, derails towards the end around the middle, but that first third is incredible.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "Can't Stop Won't Stop" was indeed great. I agree that Chang seems to go out of his way to stress the importance of hip-hop as an overtly political artform, but the depth and breadth of the book is quite impressive. It really reads like what it is: a book written by someone who loves and grew up in hip-hop (as opposed to most "hip-hop books" that are written by academics who are outside of hip-hop but still want to write about it).

-e

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

It, unfortunately, derails towards the end around the middle, but that first third is incredible.

See how ya'll are?

Motherf**kers won't let me be positive!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

See how ya'll are?

Motherf**kers won't let me be positive!

hattin!

it's not really chang's fault anyways. there was too much hip-hop by 1990 to cover.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: WANG[/b]stas, Wiggers, Wannabes, and the New Reality of Race in America.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

*THAT REAL SCHITT*

Not much left to add here, but I will say, I wholeheartedly endorse *THAT REAL SCHITT*.

The breadth of info dropped in the beginning alone was pretty .

I also just got around to finishing this

The ending chapter with BDP and the Ultra section was incredible.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    it's not really chang's fault anyways. there was too much hip-hop by 1990 to cover.

I'm not sure that I can fully accept that logic, but regardless, my disappointment has less to do with the breadth of material covered in the bottom half (which, you're right, would be a tall order) than it does the relative lack of spirit with which the material gets addressed. I don't know if it was accidental (like, dude's enthusiasm just ran out) or deliberate (like, maybe he spent that first half working so hard to convey the energy of the music and the culture thinking that once he'd made that case for hip-hop's vitality up front, the abstract merits would be a given and he'd thus be able to focus on more concrete issues from there on out), but in either event, it made for a real lopsided read.