CDJ Evolution... Numark's CDX successor...HDX

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
phuck, just when you're almost focussed on getting some hardware, some new ish comes up... It's basically;"a CDX with an 80gig drive in it that you can link to either Mac or PC and use a keyboard for navigation"http://www.skratchworx.com/news/comments.php4?id=342if this thing deals with the issues that plagued the original CDX, goddamn! If you're already down with Serato, i guess its not to relevant to you...but as a standalone, looks intriguing(i.e wouldnt have to invest in a laptop)...plus the harddrive should be replaceable i understand

Comments

• yeah, it's pretty cool. We were researching it a couple of weeks ago at the shop. It's harddrive is removable, which is cool if you want to dedicate harddrives to specific genres or whatever. BUT - the CD player will NOT work independently of the HD. Meaning if the HD or CD player crashes, the whole thing is kaput. You can't use one as a backup if the other one fails.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    get serato.

Do you really not collect records? how did you get here then? You need record players young padawan!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yeah, it's pretty cool. We were researching it a couple of weeks ago at the shop. It's harddrive is removable, which is cool if you want to dedicate harddrives to specific genres or whatever. BUT - the CD player will NOT work independently of the HD. Meaning if the HD or CD player crashes, the whole thing is kaput. You can't use one as a backup if the other one fails.

oh really that sucks...

Bsides, lol, i'm here for the music, i'm about cds, i'm not concerned about the medium, plus monetarily vinyl's an addiction i can't handle!

here's video footage:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2351

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yeah, it's pretty cool. We were researching it a couple of weeks ago at the shop. It's harddrive is removable, which is cool if you want to dedicate harddrives to specific genres or whatever. BUT - the CD player will NOT work independently of the HD. Meaning if the HD or CD player crashes, the whole thing is kaput. You can't use one as a backup if the other one fails.

oh really that sucks...

Bsides, lol, i'm here for the music, i'm about cds, i'm not concerned about the medium, plus monetarily vinyl's an addiction i can't handle!

here's video footage:
    http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2351

so what? you wanna go "wigga wigga" with your cd's? A dj with no records is a dj with no records. Regardless of any new toys you get.

Im just trying to do you a favor man. THat thing looks like a piece of trash. How gay is hooking a keyboard up to a turntable?

theres really no excuse to drop 800 bucks or more on the thing if you dont have turntables. Vinyl is actually pretty cheap. DOnt let all the ebay madness fool you. MOst classic records can be found for under 5 bucks.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    dude, you will never find a single post of mine where i've ever claimed to be a dj, cause im far from one, and never intend to be one. i never intend on playing gigs or anything. i look at these things strictly as instruments, and want something i can use to play with when i compose my own sheit....ie, if i recorded some guitar/keys in cubase, i want to sample that sheit and phuck with it, and pressing it to vinyl is not very practical, especially financially. i've played with software simulations and they pretty much suck.

if you're a dj, then i dont see the need for something beyond serato. but the situation i'm in, a cdj is a great alternative, that's all i'm saying, but i respect your opinion. anyhow i would not invest in the hdx for at least a year and first see what peoples reactions are, cause i heard of a lot of bad sheit with respect to the cdx run.

peace