w4a files..what is it...and can it be converted ?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
just DLed some music but realized it was a m4a file which doesnt seem to be compatible with the Easy CD Creator program I use for burning. Can these files be easily converted to mp3 or something so I can burn them on CD?

Comments

• I think this is some sort of iTunes format bullshit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    jHymn can convert. Google it.

Doesn't work 100% of the time though.

• thanks

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    From answers.com:

".m4a is the file extension attached to names of files using the MPEG-4 Audio standard. The normal extension for any MPEG-4 file is .mp4, which is also mentioned in the MPEG-4 standard. The .m4a file extension has been popularized by Apple, which started using the .m4a file extension in their iTunes software and iPod music players to distinguish between MPEG-4 Video and Audio files. Currently, most software that supports MPEG-4 Audio also supports the .m4a extension. The most common type of .m4a files available are those using the AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio format, but other formats such as Apple Lossless and even mp3 files may be put inside a .m4a container file. You can normally safely rename the file extension of a .mp4 file containing only audio to .m4a or vice versa to get the file to properly play in your favorite audio player."

Peace