DISCUSS... (movingimageedition)

2»

Comments

• chinatown is the mother, the sister, the motherfucking shit!

chinatown is the mother, the sister, the motherfucking shit!

Slap that crazy bitch!

Seriously, though, any movie in which the main character gets his nose nastily cut up -- and then that wound DOES NOT miraculously heal by the next scene -- is OK by me. I guess that says more about the crapiness of other films that the genius of this one. But that's beside the point. Any movie in which the title refers to a some crazy shit that happened before the film takes place also is A-OK by mean -- if done right, which it is SO right right here.

I am looking forward Polanski's take on Oliver Twist. I like most of his work, including the "The Nineth Gate" (even though the ending sucked).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Not to hate on Chinatown but it's least interesting thing Polanski did in Hollywood and has some unintentionally silly moments. Try What? or The Tenant if you really wanna see something.

I wouldn't say it's the least interesting thing he's done (have you seen Fearless Vampyre Killers? If you ever want to torture me - make me watch that film) - but it is not very Polanski-esque. I don't really think Polanski when I think of California.

The Tenant is wicked.

• Fearless Vampire Killers is THE SHIT and even if you don't get it you can't call it uninteresting, come on.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Fearless Vampire Killers is THE SHIT and even if you don't get it you can't call it uninteresting, come on.

LOL! i don't remember saying i didn't get it. i don't like it and find it boring because i'm not really into that type of wacky humour. i like dark-creepy-i'm-having-the-devil's-baby polanski as opposed to b-movie-eastern-european-benny-hill polanski.

• hey iron monkey. i kinda noticed a theme among these movies here and was wondering if i was just being a conspiracy theorist.

polanski committed statutory rape
    kazan was a rat fink whistle blower
    friedkin made some racist anti-arab movie
    coppola made jack starring robin williams

the only one i cant pin down is that mamet poo. am i on to something?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Glengarry Glen Ross- liked it alot, wouldn't mind rewatching it.

Rumble Fish- one of my favorite movies

To Live and Die in LA- never seen it

East of Eden- seen it so long ago that I don't even remember it

Chinatown- total classic

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hey iron monkey. i kinda noticed a theme among these movies here and was wondering if i was just being a conspiracy theorist.

polanski committed statutory rape
    kazan was a rat fink whistle blower
    friedkin made some racist anti-arab movie
    coppola made jack starring robin williams

the only one i cant pin down is that mamet poo. am i on to something?
    ?... shig, i'll give you $5 if you're onto anything with this.