what's crackin' soulstrut???

2»

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yes, we all would like to toss your salad Ness.

Speak for yourself on that one pally.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Yes, we all would like to toss your salad Ness.

Ohhhh don't try to back out of it now. I've still got your shopping list for lube and syrup.

• Yes, we all would like to toss your salad Ness.

Ohhhh don't try to back out of it now. I've still got your shopping list for lube and syrup.[/b]

What's he fucking, pancakes????

• Yes, we all would like to toss your salad Ness.

Ohhhh don't try to back out of it now. I've still got your shopping list for lube and syrup.

stop projecting

Ness, I'd prefer to make a sandwich...I don't keep up with the young whirring salad set no more. Hope all is well.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Ness, I'd prefer to make a MAN[/b]wich...I don't keep up with the young whirring salad set no more.

• BlastmanBlastman 13 Posts
    I always love to bring the past forward, to make people remember, so what's crackin' soulstrut?

• With me, music wise I spent last night checking in on RXKNephew. He has 62 albums listed on Wikipedia since 2019. I came across a hilarious track where he does an E40 impression that is kinda spot on.

Also, much like Kool Keith is noticeably the #1 rapper for butt crack mentions, Neph seems like he's got dog shit on his mind. That's what's crackin'.

• Blastman said:
    I always love to bring the past forward, to make people remember, so what's crackin' soulstrut?

Everyone's in their 40s wondering why their utility bills are so high and why their wife can't shop at Aldi instead of Trader Joes.

Duderonomy

• On the plus side, I no longer read the Strut going "I have 15 records and won't be able to afford anything more I want till next semester". I now have actual records in my home. And a partner who goes "you SURE you can't get that digitally?" about every new one, so you're not entirely off base. Records are my TJ's.

And I'll have you know I only just turned 40...

Blastman said:

Everyone's in their 40s wondering why their utility bills are so high and why their wife can't shop at Aldi instead of Trader Joes.

I wonder if it will be the same when I'm 40... in 2048...

• You're about the age I was when I first read the Strut. Finding music you could listen to on the internet was new then, and the fact that there was a site devoted to talking about old stuff, stuff I didn't know, stuff that wasn't selling millions or playing everywhere in commercials and movies, was huge. I hope you find some stuff worth pursuing here like I did.

The good thing about all the on SS over the years is that music talk doesn't age out. You will never go back to outdated posts about the latest phone or software or whatever from 15-20 years ago, but music knowledge lasts. Tastes change though. Nobody gave a shit about boogie in 2001. Did they?
    Duderonomy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,945 Posts
    There was a boogie scene in Amsterdam/Brussels around that time, according to the mixes I downloaded. 

@Blastman you have to remember that 20+ years ago, streaming wasn't practical because the hardware under the internet just wasn't up to it.  Realplayer was the first attempt to get reliable streaming but it was super lofi.

I can remember it taking like a minute to pull 1MB down.  I worked in Dublin in 2001 and we were then right next to the Europe pipe.  They hadn't blocked the network route properly so we had blazing speed, like 100M/second.

I was therefore downloading everything I could and among all the mix sites I found, the Strut had the craziest board.

• Jimster said:
    There was a boogie scene in Amsterdam/Brussels around that time, according to the mixes I downloaded. 

@Blastman you have to remember that 20+ years ago, streaming wasn't practical because the hardware under the internet just wasn't up to it.  Realplayer was the first attempt to get reliable streaming but it was super lofi.

I can remember it taking like a minute to pull 1MB down.  I worked in Dublin in 2001 and we were then right next to the Europe pipe.  They hadn't blocked the network route properly so we had blazing speed, like 100M/second.

I was therefore downloading everything I could and among all the mix sites I found, the Strut had the craziest board.

Realplayer, that's great.  I remember playing mixes from i think ughh.com which streamed from via Realplayer and copying them onto cassettes to play in my car.  Quality was terrible.  Bitch was when it buffered and it would be playing those super low quality 32k streams or whatever it was and right in the middle of the song it would be like SCRRTCCHH.  It's like the early Internet version of recording off of the radio.

We all sound old. 

Apparently it was definitely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealPlayer#Reception

Reception
    Past versions of RealPlayer have been criticized for containing adware and spyware[57] such as Comet Cursor.[58] In 1999 security researcher Richard M. Smith dissected some of RealJukebox's network traffic and discovered that it was sending a unique identifier with information about the music titles to which its users were listening.[59][60] RealNetworks issued a patch, and the spyware was removed[61] in version 1.02.

Their download page stated RealJukebox included privacy enhancements and supplied the link to their updated privacy policy.[62] PC World magazine named RealPlayer (1999 Version) as number 2 in its 2006 list "The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time", writing that RealPlayer "had a disturbing way of making itself a little too much at home on your PC installing itself as the default media player, taking liberties with your Windows Registry, popping up annoying 'messages' that were really just advertisements, and so on."[61]

In 2007, it placed RealPlayer, versions 1996–2004, at number 5 in its list The 20 Most Annoying Tech Products.[63] US-CERT has issued multiple security advisories reporting defects which allowed remote sites to use RealPlayer to execute attack code.[64][65]
    Duderonomy

Also if Boogie is your thang, Walla P is your man: https://www.musicismysanctuary.com/?s=walla

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,899 Posts
    Jimster said:

The first Internet Television was broadcast using Cu-SeeMe around 1994. My friend was involved in that and helped start InterneTV.com which later moved to RealPlayer. We did a live DJ broadcast on the site in 1995 and then started broadcasting weekly. After a fallout between the two owners of InterneTV a new site Blastro.com was created and I hosted weekly DJ stream called UltraSound there from around 1996-2001. At it's peak we'd have around 5,000-6,000 viewers a week. At the time that was pretty huge. Sites like CNN and NBC for example were just started to stream some videos and our site was streaming just about as much as they were.

ketanJimster

You're about the age I was when I first read the Strut. Finding music you could listen to on the internet was new then, and the fact that there was a site devoted to talking about old stuff, stuff I didn't know, stuff that wasn't selling millions or playing everywhere in commercials and movies, was huge. I hope you find some stuff worth pursuing here like I did.

The good thing about all the on SS over the years is that music talk doesn't age out. You will never go back to outdated posts about the latest phone or software or whatever from 15-20 years ago, but music knowledge lasts. Tastes change though. Nobody gave a shit about boogie in 2001. Did they?

See I think my taste in this world is different, I seek the knowledge of things I don't really need to, so I can relate  to everyone I can meet. I use mac emulators for the time just to understand how lucky I am to be where I am. I cannot state how much I LOVE 'retro' or (even more quotations because stuff isn't that old) "old" stuff. I think it's because I grew up homeless, and I was adopted fast enough I never got to be the child of my time. I never played with kids my age, because I was being abused in my house for all my childhood, so I invent when I was from, and I love how far we've come. 

ketanJimster

The thing is that I can't really have truly experienced what you guys have, I wasn't there for it, but I wish I was with all my might. It's the same relationship I have with soulstrut now, I literally could not have been there for the beginning, that would be impossible, but I wish I was. I was actually curious a bit ago about realplayer because it was included in early versions of the Mac (I have emulators for the Mac because those are the most common old computer emulators, I don't care much for modern Macs) 

Jimster said:

The first Internet Television was broadcast using Cu-SeeMe around 1994. My friend was involved in that and helped start InterneTV.com which later moved to RealPlayer. We did a live DJ broadcast on the site in 1995 and then started broadcasting weekly. After a fallout between the two owners of InterneTV a new site Blastro.com was created and I hosted weekly DJ steam called UltraSound there from around 1996-2001. At it's peak we'd have around 5,000-6,000 viewers a week. At that time that was pretty huge. Sites like CNN and NBC for example were just started to stream some videos and our site was streaming just about as much as they were.

This fascinates me, if Blastro.com doesn't exist anymore, I'll have to look it up on the WayBack Machine. I'll let you know what I find!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,145 Posts
    weekly DJ steam

no but seriously, that's all fascinating!  what kind of music were you playing back then, Bill?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,145 Posts
    realplayer was so clunky, but was the only option for checking out Gilles and dem back in high school.  winamp ftw. 

and yeah, i was into boogie in 2001!  earlier tho. i was just into that sort of music on the radio growing up in the 80s, and peak debarge is a gateway to boogie.

by 2001, the disco strut comps were coming out, so there were definitely already scenes in places. but before dam-funk hit big (mid-to-late 2000s?), i often felt like ppl thought it wasn't "cool" music... like i twas too corny/syrupy for a serious dancefloor.  you had to find your crowd.  the "quiet storm" folks and rollerskaters knew the deal!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,899 Posts
    ketan said:
    weekly DJ steam

no but seriously, that's all fascinating!  what kind of music were you playing back then, Bill?

I mostly played Jungle / Drum & Bass and Techno. When the InterneTV legal battle ended the court made me custodian of all of the tape archives of my show. I held onto them for years but had to get rid of them when I moved. I wish I had kept a couple but didn't have room for them all.

Blastman said:
    This fascinates me, if Blastro.com doesn't exist anymore, I'll have to look it up on the WayBack Machine. I'll let you know what I find!

Apparently hackers have taken down the Wayback Machine today.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/internet-archive-hacked-data-breach-impacts-31-million-users/

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2024/10/10/2275908/-The-Internet-Archive-has-been-hacked-and-hit-with-ongoing-DDoS-attacks

• Blastman said:
    The thing is that I can't really have truly experienced what you guys have, I wasn't there for it, but I wish I was with all my might. It's the same relationship I have with soulstrut now, I literally could not have been there for the beginning, that would be impossible, but I wish I was. I was actually curious a bit ago about realplayer because it was included in early versions of the Mac (I have emulators for the Mac because those are the most common old computer emulators, I don't care much for modern Macs) 

Looking backwards is fun and you can learn things, but the important thing is to enjoy right now.  Instead of wanting what has already past (and who doesn't, in some way or form), look at what's going on around you right now and ask yourself how you can take advantage of that.  You don't want to look backwards later and instead of saying "I wasn't born yet" you'll say "I was there and I missed it."  Being 16 is equally part shitty and fun in my experience, and it's a really, really short part of your life.  Not to be cliche, but you can do anything.  And someday somebody will be like "Man I wish I could have been there when Cardi B was still dropping tracks."  I don't know why, but it will happen. 

• Blastman said:

PS Don't fuck up in school, don't get arrested, don't have kids before you're ready. Speaking from experience haha.

• That's so funny, get a copy of Dirt Bike 3.1 going on your OS9 emulator and you'll basically be 16 year old KETB. Being into old stuff is part and parcel with any serious interest in music. Less so tech, but I think that's pretty interesting as I think most people doing that kind of retro-tech stuff are doing it from lived nostalgia. 

But as others have said don't be the cliché fake youtube comment "I'm 12 years old and my generation sucks, I only listen to REAL MUSIC - shellac gospel 78s" (I'm convinced those comments are made by boomers to make themselves feel good about growing old).

There's always, always good new shit to find, happening right now, that you can follow, go and see live, interact with other fans of, etc. and that's worth a lot.

Looking backwards is fun and you can learn things, but the important thing is to enjoy right now.  Instead of wanting what has already past (and who doesn't, in some way or form), look at what's going on around you right now and ask yourself how you can take advantage of that.  You don't want to look backwards later and instead of saying "I wasn't born yet" you'll say "I was there and I missed it."  Being 16 is equally part shitty and fun in my experience, and it's a really, really short part of your life.  Not to be cliche, but you can do anything.  And someday somebody will be like "Man I wish I could have been there when Cardi B was still dropping tracks."  I don't know why, but it will happen. 

This is really well said and I appreciate that you would say this, I don’t know what makes me feel so set apart from my generation, its not that I would say “my generation is the worst” but I think we all are similar, did similar things and had similar experiences to each other just with different things and cultures. Music is something I really like and it finds its way into everything somehow. I also want to say that the odds of me finding this community just before its departure is very insane to me, it kind of reminds me of that episode of Rick and Morty where the 3 planets are about to get sucked into the mega black hole so they have huge parties. 

Also this is my first ever graemlin  

That's so funny, get a copy of Dirt Bike 3.1 going on your OS9 emulator and you'll basically be 16 year old KETB. Being into old stuff is part and parcel with any serious interest in music. Less so tech, but I think that's pretty interesting as I think most people doing that kind of retro-tech stuff are doing it from lived nostalgia. 

But as others have said don't be the cliché fake youtube comment "I'm 12 years old and my generation sucks, I only listen to REAL MUSIC - shellac gospel 78s" (I'm convinced those comments are made by boomers to make themselves feel good about growing old).

There's always, always good new shit to find, happening right now, that you can follow, go and see live, interact with other fans of, etc. and that's worth a lot.

Now I know how to spend my fall break!  

PS Don't fuck up in school, don't get arrested, don't have kids before you're ready. Speaking from experience haha.

Doing my best! I try to avoid life ruining events but they could sneak up on me at any time.