kicks79endlessrickGrandfathermikem

• Huge thanks!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,119 Posts
    ^^ Can't seem to make the like button work, but that was funny
    mikem

• can you do a new re-up?

thanks

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,781 Posts
    Due to popular demand, I have added a fresh link with no expiration.

klezmer electro-thug beatssticky_dojah

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    inspired by this thread...starting next weekend in Brooklyn, hopefully turning this into a monthly in the summer...the venue is close to the Bedford Ave stop off the L train and has an actual yacht! in the backyard...thanks again RAJ for all this great work! If it wasn't for Soulstrut, this would not happen!

kicks79Horia

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    I feel like the term “yacht rock” was actually coined on SoulStrut? It was at least thrown around loooong before it made the general lexicon. Wikipedia is claiming 2005 as the first mention, but I’m sure there are SS posts that predate that. Any way to check?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    I feel like the term “yacht rock” was actually coined on SoulStrut? It was at least thrown around loooong before it made the general lexicon. Wikipedia is claiming 2005 as the first mention, but I’m sure there are SS posts that predate that. Any way to check?

Interesting and totally plausible....

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,933 Posts

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bxev80wwgjly41rprkeno/Yacht-Rock-Rarities.zip?rlkey=p8llwnw3zjj8a9091miboxq5m&st=o3zevsq6&dl=0

Summer Re-Up!

Set link for Viewer access, let me know if it doesn't let you download it.

Electrodedj_cityboy

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,469 Posts
    oh man i am pretty sure i downloaded this a while back, so many gems in there…

*on an offtopic note: been listening to strut mixes A LOT! lately since summers hit..and man i dunno wtf i am going to do in order to find such dopeness out in the wilds without the strut, i been meaning to make a post in the “other” thread, but man i cant even find the words to show my appreciation for what ive learned and the connections i made, i’ve bought so many dope records from some of you, the “beatoffs” collected some cassettes, memories, a tshirt and without a doubt some of the dopest mixes i have ever heard… and man….4 months, damn, ugh i wish i found this place earlier, most of you have been here waaaaay longer than me, i hate social media, lol

ha ha i dunno even wtf the point of this is, i guess i am going to miss this place, theres so much info i want/need to save so some day i can read about where “ready on the right, ready on the left, ready on the firing line” came from and the “A to the K”, so much history that’d be almost impossible to collect it all, lol. the Biz stories gotdang, lol oh man, i need to smoke a joint yo, ha ha ha

<endrambling/>
    JimsterDuderonomy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,933 Posts
    I only found the Strut when I was looking for mixes and the level of knowledge about obscure shit, in one place, with most people happy to share, is what I'll miss.  You could say "I liked this Booker Ervin track, what else is like this?" and get answers that were utterly accurate - whereas the algorithms we have surrendered our agency too will just bat out more by the same artist, or the big names in the genre.  

Forums preserve history, and social media despises history - forever with the new content.  FB would have you forget yesterday like it was just another cup of poor, overpriced coffee.  It's what's known as "Enshittification" and there's a great breakdown on the whole process here:

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

"The Netheads were right: Technological self-determination is at odds with the natural imperatives of tech businesses. They make more money when they take away our freedom—our freedom to speak, to leave, to connect.

For many years, even TikTok's critics grudgingly admitted that no matter how surveillant and creepy it was, it was really good at guessing what you wanted to see. But TikTok couldn't resist the temptation to show you the things it wants you to see rather than what you want to see. The enshittification has begun, and now it is unlikely to stop.

It's too late to save TikTok. Now that it has been infected by enshittifcation, the only thing left is to kill it with fire."

I understand that to RAJ, and to many others, it's run its course because their lives don't revolve around it like they used to.  The maintenance and engagement numbers don't warrant spending valuable time on.  It doesn't make him anything in exchange for his time and RAJ has the family and grown folks shit to deal with, as many who have been here a long time will now have.

By the same token, I wouldn't want someone else to take the reins and turn it into something else because I personally like the pace of it, and it should be a testament to the work RAJ has put in.  I wouldn't mind it being busier but people never put down their phones and will never find it. I guess once life gives us more time back we will long for it, but it's been a blast.

Has anyone got the authority on Reddit to create a strut subreddit?