"Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Came across an mp3 of a killer version of this tune, which *isn't* the one from Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson's "It's Your World" but *is* credited to Brian. The tune is a studio cut and features samples of Gil speaking, starting with "It always feels like.... Rain".Have googled a bit but no joy so far. Anyone have any more info?"When in doubt, ask the Strut..."

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    please to post said track for further investigation

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i second that request. Tried to first it but they like a log in. So yeah, could we hear it?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I am behind a firewall at work, so no access to "File Sharing" sites. But I can always email it to ya, if you can take a 9Mb mp3. Let me know. Let me know a good File sharing site if you want me to post it when I get back home.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You sure this isn't just the original version from PIECES OF A MAN?

There's never been a Brian Jackson solo record...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    You sure this isn't just the original version from PIECES OF A MAN?

I thought this too..isnt there also a live version

however the sample thing you elude too has me intrigued

There's never been a Brian Jackson solo record...

uhummm

found this on smooth-jazz.de that plus the cover =

further investigation shows me that brian jackson has been most recently featured on this poetic masterpiece

A friend has upped the mp3 for me here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zilvy9

Enjoy.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Jimster I found your answer it is on that brian jackson-Gotta Play album (pictured above)

I prefer the original to this ''smooth version'' but whatever floats your boat

The track is called Parallel Lean (featuring gil scott-heron)

www.brianjackson.net/music.html (you can hear it)

mystery solved
    Jimster

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Damn, allmusic didnt' have that BJ album listed... it also didn't have the recent Rufus Harley someone mentioned on here the other day... I guess they're slippin when it comes to underground jazz releases from well-known artists.

Thanks kids.

I tried AllMusic too, before I ran out of ideas.

I like this one too because I love the chords. Without checking it's already happened, I sense GSH won't be around much longer as his habit has been getting... mo' worserer, even.

• subsub 311 Posts
    id say it's called "home is where the hatred is" like the original. that at least the way brian calls it on his myspace.com site....
    http://www.myspace.com/itsyourworld

When in doubt, ask Brian Jackson:

ketanbillbradleyGibboElectrodeDuderonomyYemsky

FWIW : I really rate Brian as a musician; on the "It's Your World" version of "...Hatred", the Bilal Sunni-Ali sax solo that folds out into the line Masters at Work flipped for "Moonshine" and then Brian's full-on haunted-house chordbook masterclass are some of my favourite ten minutes in music.  They just play the shit out of it.

Never knew he's had a full-time I.T. career for over 30 years as well as having the legacy of the work he did with Gil.  Of course, Gil took Brian's rightful cut, so there was the pain of having to deal with that and supporting five kids.  He said they were as cool as they could ever be at the end.  Never knew Gil was only 19 when he penned "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" and was completely clean.  Esther Phillips, an addict herself who wanted to cover the tune, did not believe he could have written it until she met Gil.

Brian still definitely has it, at 71 - he's very youthful.  They were playing "We Out Here" fest on the Sunday and that concluded the tour.  Brian was playing keys and flute on Friday.  He and the band were in my hotel so we got to hang for a while and talked shit about most things.  I already knew Paul Jones (R) on drums for 30+ years from our days and gigs in Manchester.  Steve Walters (L) was on bass, he's got a CV with Sir Rod/Amy/George Michael/Mariah... so there were some good stories.

Doan't sleap!
    billbradleyketanklezmer electro-thug beatsGibboYemskykicks79Electrode

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Jimster said:

Dang! Nice one  

Flomotion

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jimster said:

Dang! Nice one  

Very cool! I saw his We Out Here show and it was my favourite set of the weekend. Were you playing WOH too?

Flomotion said:
    Very cool! I saw his We Out Here show and it was my favourite set of the weekend. Were you playing WOH too?

Nah, I caught them in Leeds the Friday before.  Would love to do WOH, the vibe I've heard is chill and the acts are ones I'd actually pay money to see otherwise.  Wifey has done Glasto et al and it sounds like an open prison to me.

More than any vinyl (!) I love seeing music being created in front of me, from the ether (or if you're lucky, the spirit realm) by humans with instruments.  Done right, it hits a mug right in the realities.

Go! WOH was honestly the best festival I've been to and I've worked on a lot of festivals... Amazing and varied music, and genuinely the best vibe helped by a lot of loved up people and a lot of serious dancing. Some highlights for me were Brian, Marcos Valle, Black Midi, Omar S, B.O.S.S, Gilles P and Patrick Forge's Dingwalls sessions, Eris Drew, and the truly banging roller skate rink sound system but kept finding good stuff all over. Lots of jazz, hip hop, disco, electronic, house, reggae, Latin and more good stuff. Huge beautiful country estate with tons of space, trees and hidden tents. Oh and fucking glamping is the future. 

Glasto on the other hand is my nightmare. Musically unappealing / way too big for me but the pop stars and crowds are what most people seem to like about it. Grew up round there so went regularly mid-80s to early 90s when it swelled to about 70,000. Last time I went it was 200,000 all in and I hated it. Now it's about 250,00 punters and probably another 75,000 working. And my idea of festival fun is not Elton John or Foos. WOH tickets for next year just released !

WOH Sold out already, from what I can tell.  A shame as Mrs was keen on it too.  Maybe I should put a band together and get on the bill that way...

Edit : Someone has already taken the name "Obi Band Kenobi".   

We are at Southport (in Bognor Regis) next year if anyone wants to say hi.  (Not performing)

Think I was was misinformed about WOH on sale.. not yet available so keep your peepers open. We bought tickets in April last year and they were still on sale in July. 

Saw a little Hobie Cat dinghy the other day called Hobie One Kinobe....