Record divider bonerz

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
https://koeppeldesign.com/products/horizontal-a-z-record-divider-stencil

This is some classy shit. And way out of my price range. 

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'll see if I can make it work with my setup.

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    DOR said:

Is that really yours?!? That is nuts. 

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    DOR said:

Naw. Ha.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Serious question: would you use these to organize your collection alphabetically overall or within genre?  

I gave up a long time ago - I have (broad) genre sections and just let shit marinate within that.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I have everything sorted by genre right now but have so many records that it takes a while to find anything. I'm planning on alphabetizing each genre section soon.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Only sociopaths alphabetize their collections
    ketanBeatnick Dee

ppadilha said:
    Only sociopaths alphabetize their collections

this is where i'm at.  

after one or two seshs it's hopeless for me.  i'm fine with the endless dig.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
     I'm planning on alphabetizing each genre section soon.

I’ve been saying that since the late 90s. 

Work in progress....

Admittedly, it was in strict alphabetical order when quantities were still in low four digit numbers in the mid 90s...

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts

DOR said:
    dizzybull said:
    DOR said:

Naw. Ha.

Deutsche Wertarbeit. 

Yours from €35,000 upwards depending on configuration. 

https://www.plattenkreisel.com/catalog/product/plattenkreisel

DOR said:
    dizzybull said:
    DOR said:

Naw. Ha.

It was the Curtis mayfield record that made me think “maybe....”

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    DOR said:

I was digging this until I realized how annoying it would be to reach down into those bottom shelves to find a record.

Unless it's all alphabetized, in which case I just know exactly where I'm going.

dizzybullDuderonomy

Where do the speakers go?

• Surely some kind of chain/pulley suspension system hanging from the ceiling, right?
    dizzybull

actually

billbradley

Fucking hell. I’ve been doing it all wrong. 

The thing is, the way those speakers are angled, you'd have to be sitting directly in the pocket there - maybe one person could benefit.  Yet the hot tub suggests a party.  ??

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    dizzybull said:

fucking hell i imagine getting those home and getting them all in place and BAM! 2 days later the letter “B” snaps off digging for beastie boys records... i imagine all of those letters snapping off over time, their sexy looking and slick looking but doesn't make much sense to me.

about 5yrs ago i finally bought some dividers, shit was plastic and were $2 each if i recall correctly, but they were the exact same dividers my local record shop uses, never been happier...

but now some of my filing is a bit “off” previously (before dividers) buck65 was filed with sebutones and sixtoo records and method man was filed with wu-tang records and Luke was filed with 2 Live Crew, now my shit is kinda mixed up a bit and still takes some time to remember that i will not find BDP records with KRSone records... anyone else having this issue or another issue i have sometimes is filing by last or first name....

Adderley, cannonball 

no problem. 

Adderley quintet, the cannonball

???

blakely, art

no problem. 

Blakely and the jazz messengers, art

??

The jazz crudaders changed their name to The Crusaders. Does that go in J or C? Separate  them or keep them together? Or do they go under T because of “the”?

da lench mob. File under D or L?

• To go with your three hundred dollar breakable dividers you clearly need some kind of professional archivist, maybe start on three days a week and move to permanent full time based on performance. They can set up a card catalog/reference system that will address all filing irregularity. Dewey decimal records.

I started out insanely, grouping stuff by label, and now it's a fucking mess because I'd use artists that released on multiple labels as the transitional material to the next label, but in the dimension we human beings live in, that means you can only have two artists per label (at the beginning and end of the section) that have releases on other labels. Which isn't how it is in real life. So you'd need some kind of non-euclidean branching shelf system that extends in all directions rather than sitting along a wall. An irregular labyrinth of records occupying all the human space in a room. So it's all fucked and just by memory now.

• KateKate 2 Posts
    dizzybull said:

fucking hell i imagine getting those home and getting them all in place and BAM! 2 days later the letter “B” snaps off digging for beastie boys records... i imagine all of those letters snapping off over time, their sexy looking and slick looking but doesn't make much sense to me.

about 5yrs ago i finally bought some dividers, shit was plastic and were $2 each if i recall correctly, but they were the exact same dividers my local record shop uses, never been happier...

but now some of my filing is a bit “off” previously (before dividers) buck65 was filed with sebutones and sixtoo records and method man was filed with wu-tang records and Luke was filed with 2 Live Crew, now my shit is kinda mixed up a bit and still takes some time to remember that i will not find BDP records with KRSone records... anyone else having this issue or another issue i have sometimes is filing by last or first name....

This whole chain has had me giggling today- thanks for that! I'm Kate, the founder of Koeppel Design, and maker of those classy dividers. I usually don't wade into online chats about my products, but I would just like to say, since starting the business in 2013, we have never ever had an issue with dividers breaking or snapping. Not one complaint! Once a client had a brand new puppy that chewed a few letters, but that was a bit different. In addition to being classy, they are strong as hell. They are not for everyone, but who or what is!

Thanks for the laughs today, and a nice bump in sales as well! -Kate

• The strut magic strikes again!   

Glad you showed up to defend your work. They look nice.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Soundtracks: filed by title or artist? There are ones which function as solo artist albums but also those which are various artist compilations. And what about records that are inspired by movie soundtracks? Who gets priority in cases like "Dells Vs Dramatics", "The Paragons Meet The Jesters" or "Otis Redding & Carla Thomas"? What if an artist popularly goes by their first name but I know what their last name is? 

• Surely Beck is in B... nobody is that anal.

The sheer number of ways your system can be inadequate makes me think maybe it IS better to just have a mess where you're like "I think that kinda stuff was in this rough physical area of this shelf" and just resign yourself to flippin'

Kate said:
    dizzybull said:

This whole chain has had me giggling today- thanks for that! I'm Kate, the founder of Koeppel Design, and maker of those classy dividers. I usually don't wade into online chats about my products, but I would just like to say, since starting the business in 2013, we have never ever had an issue with dividers breaking or snapping. Not one complaint! Once a client had a brand new puppy that chewed a few letters, but that was a bit different. In addition to being classy, they are strong as hell. They are not for everyone, but who or what is!

What’s up Kate! This makes me glad that we had nice things to say. I would have felt terrible if the thread were titled “ugliest record dividers ever”

Years ago I bought a bunch of the ugly plastic white dividers. My problem is I don’t know whether to write the letter facing up, or facing side ways. Of course they would be up, but Curtis mayfield has his own divider so that is obviously written sideways. Same with “wu tang” and cal tjader” for some reason. Anyways, names go sideways, so then I put individual letters sideways but then I run into a problem. 

The first was H.  When H is sideways it is capital “I” (not in this particular font, but you know what I mean). My sideways E looks like M. U or C... 

Z or N...?

I also have a section in “S” called “soulstrut”. The Leo sayer is there, and the stark reality (stones throw version of course), the welkshake and breakbeatrare, and then some other releases from members of days past like Asprin, Delay, Karlophone, and others. 

Kate

• KateKate 2 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Kate said:
    dizzybull said:

What’s up Kate! This makes me glad that we had nice things to say. I would have felt terrible if the thread were titled “ugliest record dividers ever”

Years ago I bought a bunch of the ugly plastic white dividers. My problem is I don’t know whether to write the letter facing up, or facing side ways. Of course they would be up, but Curtis mayfield has his own divider so that is obviously written sideways. Same with “wu tang” and cal tjader” for some reason. Anyways, names go sideways, so then I put individual letters sideways but then I run into a problem. 

The first was H.  When H is sideways it is capital “I” (not in this particular font, but you know what I mean). My sideways E looks like M. U or C... 

Z or N...?

I also have a section in “S” called “soulstrut”. The Leo sayer is there, and the stark reality (stones throw version of course), the welkshake and breakbeatrare, and then some other releases from members of days past like Asprin, Delay, Karlophone, and others. 

As long as you can figure out your system, thats great that it works for you! I've had so many conversations with clients just about weekly over the last few years about "the right way" to organize - although many will disagree with me, there really isn't a one system fits all, or single right way to do it.  It really depends on how you use your records and what you collect. I do believe having some kind of structure makes it easier to actually find what you're looking for, and keep track of whats in your collection, but my feeling is that the goal should always be to be listening to more music, more often. I make a lot of options for folks with different methods, and I think its really cool to hear about how everyone creates a system that works for them. 

I've developed a tough skin as woman in business, particularly in the vinyl and woodworking worlds... but ha ha, yes I am glad there was nothing desperately terrible said about my products here!

My daughter has done woodworking summer camp the last few years and she loves it. Has zero interest in records. She’s ten. I should send her to a workshop and tell her she can’t come home until dad has classy record dividers. 
    ppadilha

• Classy and unbreakable, don't forget

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I use the black plastic ones with the sticky letters.  Works for me.

:woah: