Ikettes or Raelettes?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Just finished watching the Ike and Tina Turner Live in 1971 DVD. Highly recommended! A tight band, a stiff German audience, Ike on guitar, Tina wailing on the vocals and the Ikettes looking good. From that DVD we switched to the Ray Charles Live in Sao Paulo which I also recommend. So which back-up singers do you rate highest?

Comments

• Just finished watching the Ike and Tina Turner Live in 1971 DVD. Highly recommended! A tight band, a stiff German audience, Ike on guitar, Tina wailing on the vocals and the Ikettes looking good. From that DVD we switched to the Ray Charles Live in Sao Paulo which I also recommend.
    So which back-up singers do you rate highest?

On the basis of 45s only I'd have to stick with the Ikettes. The Ikettes 45s I have on Modern are cool. The Raelettes 45s I've heard on TRC are a drag...

• Raelettes. That one solo song with the lyrics "if you wanna keep him, you'd better leeeearn how to treat him, better, than any other woman will..."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    both back up groups released LP's in the early to mid 70's both are funky and soulful at points.

Buy one off my BOOM BOOM CLAP set sale folls!

• Tangerine label I think.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    impossible to choose! ak! Ikettes by a hair though. Their version of I'm Blue gives me shivers everytime

I can't sleep at night for thinking of you
    every night about two
    my love for you
    comes tumblin down
    I can't stand being here alone
    I start a feelin and a fumblin
    but you ain't nowhere around

just kills me.

Mr. NevC - I heard a little piece on your bro's film on the radio this morning and I think they even spoke to him a bit - congrats! I hope he has a great time at the Festival.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Looks-Ikettes
    Singin'-Raelettes

• Looks-Ikettes
    Singin'-Raelettes

Agreed.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    On the basis of their individual records, I'd say it was a toss-up. The Ikettes could really bring it on tracks like "I'm Blue," "Don't Feel Sorry For Me," "So Fine" and "Beauty Is Just Skin Deep," but the Raelettes could be just as tuff - try "One Hurt Deserves Another," "That Goes To Show You," "All I Need Is His Love," and "One-Room Paradise."

I've never heard the Ikettes' full albums (there were two), but the Raelettes album on Tangerine is a flaming red disappointment. As excellent as the singles were, the album played like a Ray Charles tax-writeoff.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Were the Ikettes also the Mirettes?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yea ??? when they first tried to go on stage on their own tour as The Ikettes ??? away from Ike (and managed by Tina???s sister), Ike hired muscle to keep them from even getting onstage! Pure thuggery!

???Whirlpool??? and their cover of ???To Love Somebody??? are both scorchers! Absolute fire!

The name change was kinda their demise.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Yea ??? when they first tried to go on stage on their own tour as The Ikettes ??? away from Ike (and managed by Tina???s sister), Ike hired muscle to keep them from even getting onstage! Pure thuggery!

???Whirlpool??? and their cover of ???To Love Somebody??? are both scorchers! Absolute fire!

There are two Ikettes albums - one from the sixties, the other from the seventies - and I think both may have different lineups.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The one from the 70's is called (g)old & new. Features covers of 60's songs and a couple new tracks. 2 or 3 funky songs if I remember correctly

There are two Ikettes albums - one from the sixties, the other from the seventies - and I think both may have different lineups.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Looks-Ikettes
    Singin'-Raelettes

no doubt...Ray must have forgot to do the wrist/forearm/elbow check with those broads....YIKES!!! THATS A FUGLY GROUP!!

• Josie Armstead was in the Ikettes...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Vanetta Fields is pretty dope though, she can sang them songs real good.