Laptop halp

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
I stupidly ignored the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and allowed my laptop to run a Lenovo Boot Optimiser which has now f@%ked things up. Start-up impossible, Windows Repair unable to fix the problem.

A Google search suggests this fix:

[quote]

Windows 7 Stop BSOD 0x00000050 Page Fault in Non Paged Area on boot

October 30, 2013

If you get this particular stop code on startup of Windows 7 on a Lenovo laptop, I have good news!
Your computer is not dead, and you don’t have to reinstall Windows.
This problem is caused by some sort of conflict between Windows updates and the Lenovo Boot Optimizer.

The simple solution is to boot into the recovery environment (aka startup repair) and choose advanced options.
In the list will be Command Prompt.
At the prompt, change to your Windows drive (this may be different, some systems it is C:, others D:, E:, etc. it will be the drive letter that has a Windows, Users, and Program Files directory) and change directories to windows\system32\drivers\ (e.g. cd C:\windows\system32\drivers).
Rename the fbfmon.sys file to fbfmon.old (or whatever) by typing ‘ren fbfmon.sysfbfmon.old’.

Exit the recovery environment. Once you have booted into Windows, uninstall Lenovo EE Boot Optimizer. [/quote]

Is this a good idea? Anyone here have any experience changing the Windows drive?

TAGGED:

Comments

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    he is not asking you to change the Windows drive, he just wants you to type in C:(or whatever the drive you have windows in) in cmd.

his explanation is spoon feeding, makes it hard to understand.

here is my version:
    safe boot
    type cmd into search, press enter
    navigate to \windows\system32\drivers\

rename or delete fbfmon.sys

should be safe to do, i would try it at once.
    Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    So...

Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

here I tried

X:\windows\system32\drivers\

'\drivers\' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

type in this:
    cd X:\windows\system32\drivers\
    ren fbfmon.sysfbfmon.old (i don't know if this works, i would think it should be written ren fbfmon.sys fbfmon.old(if none of them work just type del fbfmon.sys))

The system cannot find the file specified

and yet I tried starting in SAFE MODE and it listed core files and I saw it there! (before it failed to start windows)

a google search suggests looking in other drives C:, D: etc 

AHAAAAA!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll02_en/thread-id/15695/page/1

So this guy suggests searching different drives in cmd, also people mentioned that the same problem was caused by the boot optimizer being activated at the same time as windows updates.
    Everything seems ok now, but thanks for your time and help FOE!

can't you use search in windows and search for the file? it should tell you where it is.

Found & deleted it in CMD, E: instead of X: . Laptop running fine now.

...and this must be why people pay extra for Macs: no unexpected updates crashing the OS.
    foe