New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts

• Okem said:

most of this new stuff is reheated dnb, not that theres anything worng with that.

Hah - I can hear a Luke Vibert (Plug) tune in there with footwork beats over it and it just sounds so poop in comparison.
    I wonder if those kids have even heard Jungle? So much better for dancing to imo.
    There's a choppy, arrested quality in footwork/juke that's missing--or at least not as central--in jungle/d n' b, which seems to be more focused on forward motion. Forward is not always the thing, though, maybe particularly if you're weeknight rocking inside a brightly-lit storefront somewhere out in the endless nameless of America. Even a curdled old fuck like me can see the inherent ridiculousness of the idea that these kids would be dancing to something different if only they knew better, as if some A-plus record from some dude from some other city from fifteen or ten or two years ago is ever gonna do the same kind of damage or mean the same kind of thing as this B-minus mp3 of this track from my man's cousin's Soundcloud that's not even out yet. Like any kids dancing in any room anywhere, they know what they're doing, and know what they need. Great video. 

Last new thing I listened to was Allison Crutchfield's "Dean's Room." The accusation in its first chorus is "You just wanna / catch me alone!", the accusation in its second is "You just wanna / talk to me!", and I'm a little aflutter at how she makes the latter somehow sound dirtier than the former, like talking to her might be more of a score than getting her alone. 

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Hah - I can hear a Luke Vibert (Plug) tune in there with footwork beats over it and it just sounds so poop in comparison.
    I wonder if those kids have even heard Jungle? So much better for dancing to imo.
    The difference between the two could be highlighted perfectly in the way people dance to it. One is created purposefully fit with frantic footwork dancing, whilst the dancing at a Jungle / dnb night is very much secondary and pretty nondescript. 

Origins wise, Footwork has fuck all to do with jungle, it comes from Juke and Chicago Ghetto House (with some hip hop production techniques mixed in). It was mostly made on an mpc with the beats programmed in live, unlike Jungle that was, much more slowly, produced in a DAW with looped samples. This is very much reflected in both musical forms and makes them entirely different beasts. It was only when footwork got popular in the UK that the Jungle comparison was made and dots were joined by European artists, the results of which were often rather tepid in comparison. It is possible to enjoy both for what they are, but twisting it to be like footwork is just some jungle derived misstep is just plain wrong. It's not an easy listen if you're expecting the relative smoothness of jungle that's for sure, but they both hold their own rewards and merits. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    that footwork battle vid is crazy good.  thanks for sharing that, Okem.

yeah, footwork dancing is definitely >>> jungle dancing.  word to jnco never making a comeback.  actually, jungle dancing in my neck was more about rapid hand dancing (ifuknowwhatimean), which lends an odd symmetry to the comparison.

Duder - crazy that someone either is up on Plug in the footwork scene, or just sampling that same Major Harris break.  i agree it doesn't have the same punch.  that said, the track at 1:30 had a Vibert vibe and was done just right.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Okem said:

most of this new stuff is reheated dnb, not that theres anything worng with that.

Even a curdled old fuck like me can see the inherent ridiculousness of the idea that these kids would be dancing to something different if only they knew better
    Oh I know, it's a pure

statement, as if they care that someone thinks shit older than them is fresh.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've only read heard Do You Need My Love from Weyes Blood's new album and that is a hell of a tune. So very lush but strangely raw at the same time. 

Gave the new Kuedo a skip through and decided it wasn't really a skipthrough type album; need to revisit as Severant is one of my favourite albums of the last ten years.

Re: Footwork - as someone who grew up on hardcore and subsequently jungle and so on I'm well aware that I'm missing the point by sitting in an office listening to this on headphones. It's not really for me despite trying my best but literally stumbled onto a Footwork event(?) in an abandoned car park at 2am one Friday night and can confirm that it's an entirely different musical experience when you have the music and the movement. And this lot were absolute novices compared to the crazy shit Okem posted above.

Also, +1 for the handshape dancing to Jungle. Feet were very happy to do the skip step and let the hands do the work.

Junior said:
     handshape dancing

• Junior said:
    I've only read heard Do You Need My Love from Weyes Blood's new album and that is a hell of a tune. So very lush but strangely raw at the same time. 

Yea, the production is immaculate. 
    The first lp is way too Medieval Times dinner theatre same-sounding  for me. The Cardamom Times ep sounded like it moved out of the field and into the church but still lacked something.  I think this new one is a refinement and expansion of the first two.
    The whole thing is worth a listen.
    And they did a vinyl release.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    some other footwork shit, not new but interesting still

a doc on the Chicago scene

DJ Clent making beats

another battle vid

bonus beat

Duderonomyketan

bassie2 said:
    Junior said:

Yea, the production is immaculate. 
    The first lp is way too Medieval Times dinner theatre same-sounding  for me. The Cardamom Times ep sounded like it moved out of the field and into the church but still lacked something.  I think this new one is a refinement and expansion of the first two.
    The whole thing is worth a listen.
    And they did a vinyl release.
    Yeah to be honest I do struggle with the Carpenters aspect to her voice. Mainly as, when I was but a small child, our next door neighbours were a young couple who used to have blazing arguments; always ending with the guy slamming the door and leaving the house to drown his sorrows. As soon as the front door slammed the lady would start sobbing wildly before putting on the best of the Carpenters cranked up to the max and playing the whole cassette end to end. Every single time. The trauma is deep.

That apart though this is some lovely music and definitely feels more real and connected and just there than the slightly period piece ambiance of her earlier album (I skipped the Cardamom EP). Seven words is genuine chills up the spine music, so lovely, so sad.
    Am tempted to pick up the vinyl as the Bandcamp version has no delivery costs and, minus the digital VAT, it's about the same price as the WAV release.

Modern takes on old Jungle/Ragga related, this tape is bringing a massive smile to my face.....
    Duderonomy

Today I am sticking to the more ambient end of the music spectrum. Soothing, calming, numbing.

This Steve Hauschildt is pretty nice....

Duderonomy

In case anyone else is into the Mr Mitch style post-grime-whachu-call-it-I-don't-know-and-I-don't-really-give-a-fuck-can-I-just-enjoy-the-fucking-music sounds, his label Gobstopper, have 95% off everything on their Bandcamp today. Considering that most of their releases are normally 3 quid each, that means it's 50p per release. Sadly all vinyl gone but the digital is still there.

http://gobstopper-records.co.uk/music

Edit: I forgot to mention you have to add the discount code "friday" to the purchase screen to get the deal....

I sooo wanted the producer called "Tarquinn" to be good, but he didn't live up to the name.

Ha! Though, to be fair, how can you ever live up to a name like Tarquin? Doomed from the start.

In all honesty, most of the releases lack Mr Mitch's particular gifts and fall firmly in the nice instrumental category rather than being fully formed tracks. Stuff like the Strict Face and Social State are nice enough though. 

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

Been playing this a lot at gigs lately, been a fan of both of these artists for a while, was so happy to see them put a release out together!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

Whistle-register FTW.
    the_dL

Jimster said:

Whistle-register FTW.

This great thanks for sharing!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    the_dL said:
    Jimster said:

Whistle-register FTW.

This great thanks for sharing!
    No worries.  I love shit like this, if you have any other recommendations.  Selan on keys and Gene Perez on bass have been slaying grooves for years.

Jimster said:
    the_dL said:
    No worries.  I love shit like this, if you have any other recommendations.  Selan on keys and Gene Perez on bass have been slaying grooves for years.
    Did you mean updated versions of Disco classics or that mid tempo house stuff that doesn't necessarily sound like 4 to the floor house sounds, or little from column a little from column b?
    You're probably up on this, but this is an all time favorite of mine (Kon can you shed light on release details if you ever read this?) I have never seen it pop up on Juno or the like? I know it was for a Japanese comp, but it doesnt appear to be on the cd version, did it ever get an official release?

Okem said:

Origins wise, Footwork has fuck all to do with jungle, it comes from Juke and Chicago Ghetto House (with some hip hop production techniques mixed in). It was mostly made on an mpc with the beats programmed in live, unlike Jungle that was, much more slowly, produced in a DAW with looped samples. This is very much reflected in both musical forms and makes them entirely different beasts. It was only when footwork got popular in the UK that the Jungle comparison was made and dots were joined by European artists, the results of which were often rather tepid in comparison. It is possible to enjoy both for what they are, but twisting it to be like footwork is just some jungle derived misstep is just plain wrong. It's not an easy listen if you're expecting the relative smoothness of jungle that's for sure, but they both hold their own rewards and merits. 
    They're getting closer:

Jimster

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I get a  on this but I've been digging the Mura Masa production work.

https://soundcloud.com/muramasamusic

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Okem said:

They're getting closer:

^^^^ Kept waiting for MC Conrad to step in. 

ketan

Marker Starling/Mantler/Chris Cummings has a new album out of covers.  It's a mixed bag to me, but the good ones are GREAT.  

He actually covers Would You Believe In Me, which I was not fully sold on when I saw him live a few weeks back (it was one of my first loves in terms of "rare grooves"), but it's really grown on me over a few listens.

https://tinangelrecords.bandcamp.com/track/would-you-believe-in-me

For newbies:

Obviously, the cover isn't close to the OG, but it is what it is, and what it is, is sublime.

btw, I slept on the last album by Chris, Rosy Maze, and it's super, super good.  If you're fan of singer-songwriter ish it's essential: https://tinangelrecords.bandcamp.com/track/heed-the-call

Jimster

Kinetic said:
    This chick from New Zealand is only 16 years old, and apparently doing pretty well. It's pretty poppy, but catchy as hell and I really like it.

This is crushing me atm

Duderonomy

white_tea said:
    They're getting closer:

^^^^ Kept waiting for MC Conrad to step in. 

"oooh baby"

I also see some Footwork remixes being called VIP.