Sample flip / Beat Thread

rain103rain103 476 Posts
edited July 2016 in Music
Hey!

So following Big_Stack's lead I thought it might be fun to start up another sample flip thread.  No prizes at stake.  No deadline.  Just for fun (and maybe competitive pride).  But let's just see what other people come up.  I randomly picked out a few records from the shelf and then quickly a song that had potential from each.  I tried to use records that were fairly "common" with the hopes that most everyone that wanted to participate either had these in their crates already or could easily find them online.  **If not, holler at me and I'll burn it to MP3/WAV/AIFF for you.**

I'm pretty sure all have probably been sampled before, but that's besides the point.  The point is to have fun with it and hear everyone's interpretation.  No need to use all 3, or even mix and match, just find 1 (2 or 3) that speak to you and flip it!

I'll try and get started on mine this weekend if not this week.  Can't wait to hear what is created.

"We Can Make It Happen Again" - The Stylistics

"Don't Wanna Be Left Out" - Freda Payne

"Thank God For Ya Baby"

Comments

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

double poast

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I don't have any of these tracks  

Could be interested in having a go... WAVs possible?

I don't have any of these tracks  

Could be interested in having a go... WAVs possible?

Whoops sorry.  Yes, let me rip them to WAV and poast them.
    cai

Here's what I came up with this morning for the first sample. I'll get to the other two when I get the chance.
    finelikewineHeyRiggsBig_Stacks

• I'm new here...this is definitely dope thread . I'm gonna take advantage and jump in on these joints tonight. I've actually already flipped that stylistics before so I'm going to try to see what I can do with the other two. I will post as soon as I can. Pretty excited 

Here's a zipped file of all three in WAV form.  Let me know if it's not working for some reason.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_YwETfyVG4QYUMyaHZQS3hZd3c
    Duderonomycove

I'm having a go at the Stylistics. Can't imagine using the PG&E with out adding some drums, but it's got lovely tones.

I'm going to have to try and forget that I listened to your flip Rain, very catchy!

Can't imagine using the PG&E with out adding some drums, but it's got lovely tones.

Add drums or even cow bell, there are no rules!

HeyRiggsdj_cityboy

DuderonomyBig_Stacks

Yeah yeah - some of us have jobs to do!

...will have something to share this weekend.

OK bee-yatches... here's my contribution:

leftrightrain103Big_Stackscovereza

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Gents,

Here is my entry:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    rain103

Major CHOPS!  Dope.

Hey Gents,

Here is my entry:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Eastcoast for sure!  Love it.

rain103 said:

Major CHOPS!  Dope.

By the time I had finished pruning there wasn't much of the Stylistics left so I had to add other samples. Would love to hear it loud as I made that on my laptop with headphones - I suspect it bangs.

All good man.  We get the picture.  It slaps!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Gents,

Here is my entry:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Hey,

I had to tweak the mix on my entry a bit.  Here is the revised version:

By the way, thanks for the kudos, Rain103, on the earlier version.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

I had to tweak the mix on my entry a bit.
    Yeah, me too - realised I missed a note on the 3rd bar of the intro, also the drums are too loud, but hell, it was fun to make. Anyone else working on a flip?

• I'm in progress, but I'm not sure I'll have time to do it justice. Was going for a purist type thing, no additional samples, just one song... why, I don't know!

I'm in progress, but I'm not sure I'll have time to do it justice. Was going for a purist type thing, no additional samples, just one song... why, I don't know!
    Hey Klezmer Electro-Thug Beats,

I think the song is supposed to be based on the one song, but I could be wrong.  As an FYI, I added some synth chords to mine to give it a little more dimension without using samples from another song.  Nonetheless, just do your thing and bless us with a hot joint.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I like the synth parts a lot. Makes me jealous that I don't have instruments. Also, away from my records, so I would normally find a beat I like and adjust the tempo on the deck to fit the song I'm working on before recording, but now I'm working with WAV files and just chopping.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
      Anyone else working on a flip?

I started the Freda Payne one last night.  #workinonit

• just a sketch by a dabbler. you guys show me some dope directions and I went with straight simplistic low-fi cut and paste wav stuff cause that's all I'm capable of!
    HeyRiggsBig_StacksDuderonomyrain103

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    rain103 said:
    ^^ this is insanely dope, holy smokes I vibed out hard to this the other night, just downloaded it so I can groove in the car... theres a lotta fire going on in this thread, but this track is blowing me away on multiple level.

rain103 said:
    ^^ this is insanely dope, holy smokes I vibed out hard to this the other night, just downloaded it so I can groove in the car... theres a lotta fire going on in this thread, but this track is blowing me away on multiple level.

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  You gonna jump on the boards and bless us with a flip!?

i was gonna, I like the track selection here, but honestly, i was going to lay something down after peeping what people posting but I downloaded your track and just scratched records and freestyled over it for the rest of the night (3 hours I had that damn beat on loop...ugh, but so dope), I am on vacation next week but going away and wont have time to contribute, maybe when I get back...i'll have some time to fire up the mpc

rain103 said:
    rain103 said:

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  You gonna jump on the boards and bless us with a flip!?
    man this beat still...I've freestyled for hours, scratched records endlessly, painted pieces with this beat as my background... still play this daily - if not 5 or 6 days of the week.

wanted to repost again just due to the dopeness..
    coverain103

• covecove 1,566 Posts

rain103 said:

"Thank God For Ya Baby"

https://alcove.bandcamp.com/track/for-you-thanks

(embarrassingly couldn't find a way to embed properly)

Duderonomyrain103

wanted to repost again just due to the dopeness..

haha!  it's appreciated, homie.  glad you enjoyed it.

dj_cityboy