EDM bubble bursted finally?

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
While underground dance music is still going strong, it's commercial mutant offspring seems to run out of steam. It's been getting quiet around it's once most famous purveyors like David Guette, Swedish House Mafia, Skrillex and this kind.
And to complete the misery it's biggest marketer in the US, the SFX corporation, seems to be bankrupt, according to this:     http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2015/08/24/the-fall-of-an-edm-empire-sfx/#20fbd802f8c0

Is the fad finally over? Are Becky and Chad still getting their groove on to EDM in Vegas or is there already the next monstrosity happening?

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    I'm sure people hated Chicago house and Detroit techno when it was new
    Vantage
    Time and place 
    Nightlife
    Your age when you hit "the scene"
    It's an endless cycle
    Nothing's new
    People are manipulating a system with precepts and tropes that is totally derivative.
    It's great to dance ,take drugs and revel in your beauty when you're young .
    Next
    JimsterbatmonJunior

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    finelikewinekala

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Skrillex had a mega successful hit song last year, maybe the two biggest songs of the year in dance music.

• Skrillex had a mega successful hit song last year, maybe the two biggest songs of the year in dance music.
    yeah he seems to have firmly established himself as a reliable pop music producer with his recent string of hits. He clearly benefited from the "rise of EDM" or whatever but he's proven to be far more talented (even if it's not your cup of tea) and has set himself apart from the crop of festival "djs" playing prerecorded mixes, jumping around on stage with ghost producers churning out completely disposable crap for them. That phenomenon is hopefully ending.  

• the biggest thing for Skrillex in 2015 was producing (along with Diplo) for Justin Bieber.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm just going to leave this here...

https://www.instagram.com/edmgirls/

Duderonomy

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^^^^ EDM seems umm firmly entrenched in the pop landscape at this point. What theoretically would take its place? 

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    white_tea said:
    ^^^^^^^ EDM seems umm firmly entrenched in the pop landscape at this point. What theoretically would take its place? 
    Neo EDM
    JimsterFrancois Von Pierre Parker

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I'm not sure but girls didn't dress like that back when I went to raves.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    batmon said:
    white_tea said:
    Neo EDM
    Trenchcoat EDM
    Jimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    skel said:
    batmon said:
    white_tea said:
    Neo EDM
    Trenchcoat EDM
    EDModer
    batmon

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Do people actually listen to this garbage sober?

Electronic Drug Music

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Electronic Dance Music in some form or the other in my city will never die. It's been a huge part of the the music scene for a long time now.

I now see these promoters using youtube's live function to stream quality video from these events. Thousands upon thousand doing their thing. I can't hate. You wanna make some serious money DJing? Be a successful EDM DJ and travel the world.

• RAJ said:

just remember that this has been said about literally every generation's pop music since rock n roll
    Duderonomy

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    RAJ said:

just remember that this has been said about literally every generation's pop music since rock n roll
    you are right. BUT EDM isn't something ingeniously new, that yielded the now generation. It's a continuation of shit generic bland music, that was there from the get-go. It is very much in a lineage of big room house, trance, euro dance and bad italo disco, which has been there forever. It is not something insurgently new, that we old farts just can't understand.

• RAJ said:

you are right. BUT EDM isn't something new, that yielded the now generation. It's a continuation of shit generic bland music, that was there from the get-go. It is very much in a lineage of big room house, trance, euro dance and bad italo disco, which has been there forever. It is not something insurgently new, that we old farts just can't understand.
    i generally agree, except that it's a little different in the States b/c for the last 20 years most of that music you mentioned was not on the radar for the average american, until a few years ago (or even still, really).

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    EDM's still on the rise in the US in a big way in commercial terms. I know several smart people (promoters and digital folks) launching new businesses around the current boom and from what I see EDM is by no means played out. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Musical equivalent of this:

People have listened to bad music for decades. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

Yeah I guess teens and preteens are going to stop dancing to EDM and just start listening to rock or something? Really though, the sheer amount of sex and drugs that's part of the EDM party - and with the BPMs fast enough for even the worst-dancing white folks across the USA - will continue to bring in the masses, indefinitely.

Also, for whatever reason that Forbes link did not work on either a PC or Mac for me. Probably for the best!

• MDMA ain't goin nowhere!

RAJ said:

you are right. BUT EDM isn't something new, that yielded the now generation. It's a continuation of shit generic bland music, that was there from the get-go. It is very much in a lineage of big room house, trance, euro dance and bad italo disco, which has been there forever. It is not something insurgently new, that we old farts just can't understand.
    i generally agree, except that it's a little different in the States b/c for the last 20 years most of that music you mentioned was not on the radar for the average american, until a few years ago (or even still, really).
    When the average American from 1996 to 2016 went to their local big club, what Dance music was being played?

Flomotion said:
    EDM's still on the rise in the US in a big way in commercial terms. I know several smart people (promoters and digital folks) launching new businesses around the current boom and from what I see EDM is by no means played out. 
    Isnt that what Played Out means?

just sayin
    finelikewine

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    batmon said:

Flomotion said:

just sayin
    It's Playing Out.

Flomotion said:
    batmon said:

Flomotion said:

just sayin
    It's Playing Out.
    Question was about the bubble bursting. Setting aside aesthetic choices such as my favoring of 'tropical house,' whether or not EDM is played out is debatable. I did just get an email about an upcoming festival here called Spring Awakening that's trading down on its location (then: Soldier Feid; now: Jackson Park) for more space, and also offering concertgoers an option to purchase tickets on fucking layaway - those tea leaves too complex for my eyes.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    *burst