Mindy Kaling

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central

She's getting her own show. Took her a quick minute and she has blown the fuck up.

I know weve talked about her before.

b/w Brown is the new Black?

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    Brown is the new Black?
    THIS
    Aziz, Russel Peters, Sugar-sammy n'em

these cats paid dues but now other east indians have just made 10 minutes skit about their home country culture into a 2hour show and the local community group and association just fill up the venues

• I think Aziz's standup is very hit/miss. But as a comedic actor, he kills.

I love Mindy's brashness, and not just in the sense of edgy comedy, but in wanting to throw her skills out there, like the quote on the NY Mag cover. There was an NYTimes article that depicted her running "The Office," writing room, and her strength and vision in that setting was impressive- she was definitely in control of the room, as it was portrayed.

• I checked the pilot on demand, solid laughs. Not sure why she's insecure about her writing chops as she's been killing it for a while.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    gareth said:
    I think Aziz's standup is very hit/miss.

Yup - his Randy character is unbearable.

batmon said:

Brown is the new Black?

Between Kutcher's brownface BS and this kind of stuff - all signs point to yes?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pcmr said:
    batmon said:
    Brown is the new Black?
    THIS
    Aziz, Russel Peters, Sugar-sammy n'em

Kal Penn?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    I checked the pilot on demand, solid laughs. Not sure why she's insecure about her writing chops as she's been killing it for a while.

Indeed--she's a fantastic writer. She does well onscreen on The Office as well, though her character kept getting pushed to the periphery (mostly because she was crazy busy writing and doing other off-camera stuff).

b/w

Russell Peters is just Indian Def Comedy Jam. I know he's paid his dues and whatnot, but dude is "White people have names like Lenny, whereas Black people have names like Carl" transplanted to India.

DJ_Enki said:

Russell Peters is just Indian Def Comedy Jam. I know he's paid his dues and whatnot, but dude is "White people have names like Lenny, whereas Black people have names like Carl" transplanted to India.

I have a lot of love for Peters - he's from my city, I did his PR when he was just starting out and we've argued about RZA...but Enki's post is so on-point.

Peters' routine was fresh, nuanced and had a nice personal touch when he started out; he talked mostly about his own family and experiences.
    Now, everyone is game and not in a very unique way. I watch him and all I can think is he's only getting away with this shit because he's brown. It gives people with less skills and more meanness in their hearts a pass to talk stereotypes when the brown dude is laying the groundwork for them. It's one thing to pick fun about the dumb and crazy shit we all have in common, as opposed to going on and on and on about the differences.
    He's talented, I wish he would expand his horizons though.

Side note - We watched his most recent DVD at a work function (I don't know WTF the person was thinking) - it was easily the most awkward, inappropriate and awful work experience I've had. More than the time I saw my (former) boss naked and I am not even making that up.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yes to Kal Penn

Russell Peters show in London was bad..he became stale quick
    i told this to friends/ fans that his one-trick pony act is getting old and they quoted hilarious older skits as well as don't hate the player etc

i like that type of humour but it should be based on perceptions that are viewed by all but interperted differently rather than ''you how an indian mother is...'' the philipino bandwaggoning dude doing this is awful and unfunny...peters struck gold and many fools came rushing in

about the bindi it's appaling..(jessica simpson really)
    but the outer original jewelry thing is getting out of hand
    i caught this bachelor pad contestant yesterday

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    bassie said:
    DJ_Enki said:

I have a lot of love for Peters - he's from my city, I did his PR when he was just starting out and we've argued about RZA...but Enki's post is so on-point.

Peters' routine was fresh, nuanced and had a nice personal touch when he started out; he talked mostly about his own family and experiences.
    Now, everyone is game and not in a very unique way. I watch him and all I can think is he's only getting away with this shit because he's brown. It gives people with less skills and more meanness in their hearts a pass to talk stereotypes when the brown dude is laying the groundwork for them. It's one thing to pick fun about the dumb and crazy shit we all have in common, as opposed to going on and on and on about the differences.
    He's talented, I wish he would expand his horizons though.

Side note - We watched his most recent DVD at a work function (I don't know WTF the person was thinking) - it was easily the most awkward, inappropriate and awful work experience I've had. More than the time I saw my (former) boss naked and I am not even making that up.

What do you do for work?!

Now, I am a public servant with the provincial government, but I saw the dink when I worked in TV.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Now, I am a public servant with the provincial government, but I saw the dink when I worked in TV.

must hold back.......

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,103 Posts
    batmon said:
    Brown is the new Black?

Speaking as a Brown person, no. Maybe from the perspective of Hollywood types looking for a new type of "cool". But I doubt it would stick for long. We're faaaaar too awkwardly hilarious a group of people to maintain that sort of cache.

I think Mindy Kaling was funny (if a bit bland) on The Office, but she didn't really come off very well on Maron earlier this year. She seemed a bit intimidated, but it was more than just that...: Kaling on Maron

(Do I come off as a self-hating brown person?)