Songs in which delusional shmucks...

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ghostface - Do Over

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Shame on both Skel and Jimster for denying the epic truth that is Against All Odds. I'm no Collins apologist but there are epic eighties songs, there are bombastic eighties ballads, and then there is Against All Odds.

There is no happy ending to that song either though lord knows the nights I've stayed awake sobbing softly and wishing that there was.

Here's another. Accurately described as a surprisingly mature song from a 19 year old in the inner sleeve of my copy of Hits 7.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
    Junior said:
    Shame on both Skel and Jimster

Nah son, I was riding for Phil. I mean, she was the only one.

That really knew him.

At all.

[reaches for Kleenex]

Skel is the one throwing shade. Heart of stone that man. Too much living in The City done done it.

Also...

"Listen John, I love you. But there's this bloke I fancy..."-R.

ROOFLESS!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Junior said:
    Shame on both Skel and Jimster

Nah son, I was riding for Phil. I mean, she was the only one.

That really knew him.

At all.

[reaches for Kleenex]

Skel is the one throwing shade. Heart of stone that man. Too much living in The City done done it.

Too true, Phil is a conduit for real emotive tenderness. Who cannot relate to a fellow who writes a song about the homeless and then threatens to emigrate if (Old) Labour win the election. To be fair, the song should really be viewed in this context:

Full grown man beard Bridges, Rachel Ward doing her eighties Brit thing ahead of the curve, Widmark sneering and (just prior to this) James Woods in all out psycho mode before song kicks in and film ends with freeze frame.

Anyway, Collins derail over. Brain not work so good but sure there's a fair few deep soul songs that would fit the bill.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Teh Phil song is just another poor schmuck lamenting a recently lost love.
    "Move on son" is what I want to say to that dude.

Ditto Teh Fellows - unrecognised genius that I consider him to be, mind.

Both are missing totally the bright and breezy optimism of flipping thru the little black book and thinking, yeah we had fun, might be worth a revisit, let's give her a bell and it's all good

And then getting the heart cut into a million tiny pieces as she clearly has a new life with new people that now precludes your existence in it.

The flip side of all this is, of course, Dolly's "Here You Come Again"; she's got life back on track, dude bat dem eyelid and she let's that POS come right back in to play her like a fiddle (no Dexy's) once more.

Damn you Dolly P, it's wimmins like you giving Doobie dude and them false hopes, along with your false tits and false eyelashes.

::grrrrr::

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Dude trying to return to an ex and getting shut down? First song that came to mind is this one. A massive hit across the Spanish speaking world in the 80s... heavy rotation amongst 'las viejas'. Weird thing is its a brother and sister duo singing and if you dnt understand el espanish she really cuts him down to size in a I Will Survive steez...

also does this one qualify? One of my fav. post relationship toons....