Options

Flanger (Ms. Toni Fisher-R)

edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt - Signet 45 is recognized for sounding like the recording took place in an airplane. The effect is called "flanging" or "flanger" and happens when two identical signal are delayed slightly creating a sweeping comb filter. In addition to reel-to-reel players, two turntables can be used to flang. But, the timing is hard to get right. What do you all think about live Dj flanging?

Like? Dislike? Examples?

Comments

• Options
    I think it sounds great on guitar.

Chet Atkins - Windy And Warm - RCA 45

However, it didn't sound very well on the the Mystic Moods - Honey Tripping' strings or Betty Everett's vocals on Shoop Shoop Song.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

No flanging throughout but in all the right spots.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    BearClaw said:
    I think it sounds great on guitar.

Chet Atkins - Windy And Warm - RCA 45

However, it didn't sound very well on the the Mystic Moods - Honey Tripping' strings or Betty Everett's vocals on Shoop Shoop Song.

I don't recall hearing any flanging anywhere on Betty Everett's "Shoop Shoop Song."

My favorite will always be the first - Miss Toni Fisher's "The Big Hurt." Everything just came together on that one. It's a spooky song to begin with. The microphone picks up a little bit of room echo on Miss Toni's voice, which sounds agitated. Toni's voice was so deep that the record label called her "Miss" so she wouldn't be mistaken for a man. And then on top of THAT, you had to deal with the flanging. Just a classic record all around.

• Options
    pickwick33 said:

I don't recall hearing any flanging anywhere on Betty Everett's "Shoop Shoop Song."

I experimented playing duplicates of that song to flang.

Also, Toni Fisher sings Quickly My Love on BigTop.

• Options
    Just scored another Toni Fisher (never heard before) on BigTop

What Did I Do? / West Of The Wall