Little Sister's "You're The One (Part I II)"

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I got this 45 in the mail today, been wanting it for a long time. Unfortunately the condition was not "Excellent to near mint" as it said on the cover, but I got it for a half decent price so I can't complain too much.But has this song been used anywhere, as it sounds familiar. Maybe not, but it's very good.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    A disco 12" from around 1979 on Moby Dick by Boystown Gang called "You're The One" uses a hook chanting "I'm the One, You're The One" over and over. I don't think I've heard the Little Sister tune, but I've been told it has a similar hook. I've also heard that same hook on the intro to a 70s/80s reggae 45 whose title I can't recall right now.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I got this 45 in the mail today, been wanting it for a long time. Unfortunately the condition was not "Excellent to near mint" as it said on the cover, but I got it for a half decent price so I can't complain too much.

But has this song been used anywhere, as it sounds familiar. Maybe not, but it's very good.

This song was a hit in 1970. Sly Stone produced and released it on his own label, Stone Flower (distributed by Atlantic). If somebody sampled it, I don't know about it.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This song was a hit in 1970. Sly Stone produced and released it on his own label, Stone Flower (distributed by Atlantic). If somebody sampled it, I don't know about it.

Right, that's the one I got. You might remember that I had brought it up in a previous version of the Strut boards (I believe two versions before),and I have the Stone Flower discography on my site. I just know I heard it before. Great song, though.

• Bambaataa used it on something. at least basically using/resinging the hook. i see this record all the time down here. john i can get you a mint copy no problem.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Yeah I likes that one, but actually I'm a bigger fan of "Somebody's Watching You." nice and emo.

Yeah I likes that one, but actually I'm a bigger fan of "Somebody's Watching You." nice and emo.

Another good one.

Bambaataa used it on something. at least basically using/resinging the hook. i see this record all the time down here. john i can get you a mint copy no problem.

cool, I'll PM you on that.

• Yeah I likes that one, but actually I'm a bigger fan of "Somebody's Watching You." nice and emo.

Another good one.

A long time ago on eBay there was an acetate remix of "Somebody's Watching You" made by Larry Levan as a gift for Tomn Moulton or something..

I can't begin to imagine what that might have sounded like..

A long time ago on eBay there was an acetate remix of "Somebody's Watching You" made by Larry Levan as a gift for Tom Moulton or something..

I can't begin to imagine what that might have sounded like..

LOL... yikes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Right, that's the one I got. You might remember that I had brought it up in a previous version of the Strut boards (I believe two versions before),and I have the Stone Flower discography on my site. I just know I heard it before. Great song, though.

What are those 2 non-Little-Sister Stoneflower 45's like??

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I have this one on hold at TheDigSpot. I might have to go pick that up right now.

Guarantee you I'll pay only 25 cents for it.

I have this one on hold at TheDigSpot. I might have to go pick that up right now.

It's not worth more than fifty cents anyway, at least where I dig, it's as common as Kool & the Gang, "Too Hot." Still a dope track, though...gotta love dope half-dollar joints...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    My attempt to brag gets shot down.

Not only that, it was the Little Sister - Stanga/Somebody's Watching You 45.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

It's not worth more than fifty cents anyway, at least where I dig, it's as common as Kool & the Gang, "Too Hot." Still a dope track, though...gotta love dope half-dollar joints...

I hear that! I have a couple of copies of that single.
    i have a lot of love for digging in thrifts/fleas and finding dope cuts in vg shape for that price.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Speaking of Dakar and dollarbincommon, there was a copy of some Tyrone Davis 45 at ThaDigSpot, as well.

i have a lot of love for digging in thrifts/fleas and finding dope cuts in vg shape for that price.

mos def. My favorite local spot has varying areas of 45's, from small boxes of raers, to multi boxes of $2-$5 joints, to a wall (and around 30 boxes) of fifty cent 45's, and finally, stacks of unsleeved 45's for a dime each. He actually keeps refreshing all of these areas with new stock, and lately has been piling clean gospel 45's in the dime stacks, because he can't sell them, so I have been cleaning up on the "A Message To Sinners," etc. Last week I actually pulled a white label promo of Harvey Averne Dozen "You're No Good" on Atlantic out of the dime pile...it looked totally rinked, but somehow played almost perfectly, which absolutely calls for one of these:

I had found the "Somebody's Watching You" 45 at a local pawn shop for 10 cents, mixed in with every unknown 80's 45 on MCA. I had bought it because being an Atlantic fan, I had never heard of the label at the time. Plus it said Sylvester Stewart, and since it wasn't broken or damaged, I bought it.

What are those 2 non-Little-Sister Stoneflower 45's like??

I'm still looking for them. I heard the 6IX was very good. The Joe Hicks one was later released by another label (I want to say Scepter), and it might be easier to find that way.

EDIT/ADDITION[/b]: I just did a search and apparently the 6IX track appears on this UK comp from WEA:

The forum which said this claimed that the mix on the CD is a "sparse mix", and if it's anything like the wide stereo mix of "Stanga" that I heard (compared to the one on the 45), then it would still be good to hear.

EDIT #2[/b]: And a vinyl copy on eBay as well:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The flip side, "Stanga," is spooky as all hell.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I got this 45 in the mail today, been wanting it for a long time. Unfortunately the condition was not "Excellent to near mint" as it said on the cover, but I got it for a half decent price so I can't complain too much.

But has this song been used anywhere, as it sounds familiar. Maybe not, but it's very good.

I think I prefer the version by the Three Degrees. It's on the same album as "You're The Fool" (sampled on Pete & CL's 1st album). Might be on a 45 too, I can't remember for sure.

I think I prefer the version by the Three Degrees. It's on the same album as "You're The Fool" (sampled on Pete & CL's 1st album). Might be on a 45 too, I can't remember for sure.

I'll have to take a listen. Until then, here is the version (Part I at least) by Little Sister:
    hxxp://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3BANPQRY4WU802CVLCFXU9CP5A

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    What is the Sly Stone related 45 on ATCO?

Was there one on Atco? I did a quick search and did not find any here:
    http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/sstone.htm

But with all he's recorded, who knows.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

Yes, there is a 45 for this, on Roulette.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Was there one on Atco? I did a quick search and did not find any here:
    http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/sstone.htm

But with all he's recorded, who knows.

I think there was. Back when TTL featured the record check, some guy had a Sly Stone-related 45 on ATCO in his collection.

I wanted to hear this song, so I bought that compilation it is on. Here it is:

6IX - I'm Just Like You[/b].

According to the liner notes, it's definitely Sly on the vocals.

I still want to track down the 45.

It's not too bad, although after hearing it, some of the vocals reminded me of This song by Dean Milan called "Do It Like A Dog".