Bay Area Digging Trip!!!

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Been in SF now for a week and a half and am having a ball. Managed to hook up with Jinx74 and get to quite a few stores in the area. This is a diary of my finds. Feel free to comment or offer any info you may have. Been here a few days now and starting to accululate a small pile of records so here's what I've got so far:Half Price Books and RecordsThese were all $2-$4Milt Jackson - Little Sunflower - Great version of the title track + People Make the World go RoundGeoff Love - Hair - Not seen this one before, probably terrible but thought of Rich and bought it!Gil Scott Heron - Winter in America - Not mint but still a playable copy of a great LP. Peace go with you Brother has to be one of Gil's finest.Hank Crawford - Don't you Worry Bout a Thing - Title track and Sho is Funky doing it for me at the mo.Johnny Guitar Watson - Listen - Not seen this one before, looks interesting, any one know it?Kool Moe Dee - How Ya Like me Know? - Classic late 80's Hip Hop.Harvey Mandel - Baby Batter - Really like the title track. The US sleeve is not as shocking as the UK one which has babies being put through a mincer!! - Spare2 Live Crew - 2 Live Party MixesRasputin'sThese were $1-$3 45'sPoppy Family - Shadows on my WallLeon Thomas - The Creator has a Master Plan - Promo copyBill Conti - Reflections - Go Rocky!!El Chicano - Viva TiradoCharles Wright - What Can you Bring MeGwen McRae - Rocking ChairThe Meters - Sophisticated SissyLou Donaldson - Love PowerTheo Schuman - Totila / DerbyKitty Winter - New Morning / CongitoGroove Merchant - Trades with Cool Chris who btw is a top guy. You gotta go see him when you are in town.The Children of Israel - Jesus is a Friend of Mine - Bay area gospel record with one great funky track.Jonas Gwangwa and African Explosion - Who?? - Really funky afro lp.Nathen Page - Page 2 - Great modern jazz.Muqaddar Ka Sikandar - This Bollywood soundtrack has one awesome track on it.Cheryl Ernst - Beginning - Beautiful funky folk.Top Pop Comp - I think this is Spanish?? Has one great funk track Brothers Groove. Been after this for years!!!Joe Cain - Latin Explosion - Firing latin jazz, very funky and danceable.Larry T and the Family - I'm Moving On - Sealed copy of a great private press SF Record.Earth Island - We Must Survive - Great funky psych rock.Curtis Green 45 - I Just Gotta Get Down - Really great funk 45. I suppose most of you guys know this???Sonic Reducer RecordsRonnie - An Evening at Ronnies Rebel Room - Funky LP from Nassau with two island funk tracks.Saturn RecordsJ & K - Betwixt and Between - Sure somebody played me this in NZ?? Anyone??Johnny Hammond - Breakout Soulful Strings - Groovin With - Burning Spear, etc - SpareSeleccion Quinta - Same - Bought this as its on the same label as Tempo 70, whether it's as good remains to be seen.Jerry Goldsmith - The Last Run - Soundtrack with a couple of funky numbers and a great sleeve. - DoubleBo Diddley - The Black Galdiator - Funky blues LP.Fever Tree - For Sale - Funky psych.Limousine - Same - Great funky rock LP with a couple of outstanding tracks, one of which, Limousine, was comped. - SpareThe Serfs - Early Bird Cafe - Contains the jazzy rock version of You've Been Talking Bout me Baby.Jackie Wilson - Do your Thing - One of the best fersions of Light my Fire - Spare.Groove YardDavid Axelrod - Strange Ladies - Not the Axe's best but Terri's Tune is still great.Afro Blues Quintet - New Diection - Groovy, funky piano led jazz - Spare.Mary Lou Williams - Zoning - Rosa Mae is a great piano and bass track, comped on Dusty Fingers ???Herb Geller - Rhyme and Reason - Great jazz with Mark Murphy on vocals. Space a la Mode is a killer track.AmeobaMost of these were found in their dollar bins!!!LInda Tillery - Same - Great LP with the comped track Freedom Time - SpareSoundtrack - Three Bites of the Apple - In the Garden by David Mcallum was included by somebody on one of their CD's. - SpareSoundtrack - Tell me that you Love me Junie Moon - The Rake and Work your Show by PG & E is funky.Soundtrack - Zig Zag - Oliver Nelson track The Other Car is funky jazz - SpareSoundtrack - Taxi Driver - One of my all time favs!!!! Great music and spoken word - SpareSoundtrack - Return of the Pink Panther - Here's Looking at you KId sounds like an outtake from a blax movie - SpareSoundtrack - Penelope - Swing 60's numbers - SpareSoundtrack - Live and Let Die - Bought this because the track Tresspassers will be Eaten was included on someones VV mix CD, thanks whoever you are??Soundtrack - Assault on Precint 13 - Beautifully done reissue of great soundtrack. I can probably get some more of these so let me know if you want one.Soundtrack - On her Bed of Roses - Can't remember what exactly was on this but I know I paid more than a dollar for my copy and it was great. - Spare.Soundtrack - This Smashing Bird I used to Know - Swinging 60's numbers.Soundtrack - The Initiation - Great LP with 2 funky numbers by Patsy Gallant. Anyone know if this has been reissued or booted?? The guys in Ameoba thought it was an original but I'm not sure?? - Spare.Mobb Deep - Survival of the Fittest 12" - Token Hip Hop 12!!Hooked up with JInx74 (Justin) today and he was kind enough to drive us two hours out of town to some spots north of Sacremento. Did pretty well. All of these were under $10, most under $5.Soundtrack - Brewster Mcloud - A couple of funky numbers on here inc. Caged performed by Gene Page. - SpareAynsley Dunbar - Watchin' Chain - Funky UK blues rock.Hugh Masekela - The Emancipation of - Great version (original??) of What is Wrong with Groovin.Terry Reid - River - The title track is a great folk funk number - SpareGinger Baker - Stratavarious - Great LP with big input from Fela Kuti - SpareJohn Klemmer - Blowin Gold - Title track is great funky jazz.Mandrill - Mandrilland - Funky afro disco influenced funk - SpareMandrill - Mandrill is - See above. - SpareFreddie Hubbard - Liquid Love - My fav Hubabrd LP. Title track is beautiful dreamy jazz. - SpareDakilla - Same - Funky latin influenced Philipino band.Bill Withers - Just as I Am - Classic soul LP, so many good tracks.Patrice Rushen - Before Dawn - Kickin Back is one of the highlights of this LP.Clare Fischer - Salsa Picante - Great latin jazz on the track Morning.Brian Auger - Same tiltle comp on Springboard featuring early classics like Kiko plus tons more - Sealed Spare.Mashmakhan - Same - Days When We are Free is a great funky rock tune. - Spare.Lyn Collins - Think - In this small shop that Justin and I were in I pulled this from a pile in perfect minty condition. There was no price on it. When I was finished I took my pile to the counter and explained that a couple were unpriced. She informed me that she would have to check the price. I was expecting her to get out a guide and then tell me that Lyn Collins was $90. No, she rings her husband who is the record guy. She explains what I have and then tells him that it is in mint condition. She then writes down a price. Expecting the worse she then asks is $3.50 OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UM OK!!!Went digging today in Grooves and to a couple of shops on Haigh
t. Nothing amazing but a few alright trade pieces. Average price $6:Python Lee Jackson - In a Broken Dream - First time I've come across this LP. I've had the 45 a few times but never this. Other than the title track has one other interesting number called Doin' Fine.Armando Peraza - Wild Thing - Seen this on Ebay a few times and always been outbid on it. Has latin versions of Wild Thing, Watermelon Man and a cool track called Red Onions.The Pop Singers and Orch - Hits form TV Shows - Great wah wah versions of Six Million Dollar Man, Charlies Angels, Sanford and Son and more.Lalo Schfirin - Sudden Imapct, The Best of Dirty Harry - Great collection of the 3 Dirty Harry movies with the best being Dirty Harry's Creed and Scorpio. Spare.The Ventures - New Testament - Has a coupleof interesting originals on here with the best being Testamant.Lesette Wilson - Now That I've Got Your Attention - Unplayed mint Soul Brother reissue found in a Magic Johnson Aids Foundation Charity Shop.Odetta - Sings - Really cool version of Hit and Miss (original??) - SpareGasmask - Their First Album - Really great funky rock, loads of cool tracks with the best being The Immigrant. - SpareWent to the Ashby Flea Market today and managed to catch a few decent things for again around $6 a piece:Reverberi - Timer - This has a ton of cool tracks and samples, my fav is Cat Casanova - SpareUltinate Spinach - Managed to pick up their first two LP's. The standout for me so far is Hip Death Godess.Womb - Same - Don't know anything about this band or LP but it has at least one cool laidback psychy flute tune.Manfred Mann - Chapter 3 - Stone Cold Classic!! Travelling Man, Snakeskin Garter and loads more tracks - Spare.Richard Evans - Same - Standout track is his much comped version of Burning Spear.Jimmy Raye - The Soul Thing - This apparently is a local Bay Area musician and this is his only LP. On firts listen the whole thing sounds pretty interesting. Just found a couple of copies of this online for $135 and 85 Euros.Alphonze Mouzon - Funky Snake Foot - Great LP on Blue Note with a lot of intresting tracks inc. the UBB classic You Don't Know How Much I Love You.Ike and Tina Turner - The Hunter - Bold Soul Sister!!!! - SpareThere was a black guy at the flea who had so many amazing mint condition 60's rock LP's for $2 each. If i didn't have to worry about getting them home I would have bought all 200 of them! As it is I jsut bought 3:The Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some LovinThe Yardbirds - Over Under Sideways DownGentle Soul - Same - This LP looks real interesting, anyone know it?? It features Ry Cooder, Paul Horn, Bill Plummer and more.Didn't unfortunately make it to the record show today so drowned my sorrows in Rasputins in Berkerley. Most of these were $2 with a couple being $4:Komeda - Cul De Sac - The Harkitt reissue of a crazy rare LP. This is great, weird and funky!!The Benito Sextet Plus One - Same - This is a great Latin LP with the standout track being Psychedelic Meditation.Poncho Sanchez - Poncho - Poncho was the conga player with Cal Tjader's band so as you'd expect the quality of playing here is really high. The whole LP is great latin.Genette Bradley & The Bradley Singers - Gospel LP that has its funky moments particularly on the title track Right Direction.Eddie Jefferson - Things are Getting Better - Great funky vocal versions of Freedom Jazz Dance, Night in Tunisia and Thank you for letting me be mice elf agin.Lou Donaldson - Sassy Soul Strut - Great early 70's Blue Note with loads of good tracks. I particularly like the Donaldson original Inner Space.Ernest Franklin - Close to Thee - Another cool gospel LP with a great version of Tryin Times that is really funky.Luv n Haight - 3 track comp from 2000 of tracks by Joe McPhee, Earl Mosley and African Roots and Jazz. - Spare.Bonnie Koloc - Hold on to Me - Title track is pure folk funk.Hedge and Donna - Special Circumstances - No idea who this duo are but there is one funky folk track on here called River with bass by Carol Kaye and drums by Paul Humphrey. Also bought another of their LP's which is alright. Paul Jones + George Bean Group - Soundtrack to Privilege - Never seen this before, looks like a weird film. Their is an amazing version of Onward Christian Soldiers on here.Esther Satterfield - The Need to be - Really nice soulful funky LP.John Barry - Petulia - 60's soundtrack with the funky track Highway 101.Frank de Vol - The Choirboys - Soundtrack with a great funky rock number titled Rock Start - Spare.Victoria - Same - No idea who Victoria is (anyone??) This is on the San Francisco label and was bought mainly because it features Herbie Hancock on piano. The LP didn't grab me on first listening but as you'd expect the piano playing is primo!!Only a couple more days left of my trip, going to have to post some finds home.Here are the finds from the last 2 days:Went to Village Music in Mill Valley yesterday. Hugh place, tons of stock but thoruoghly picked over. Found just 2 LP's:NYJO - 11 Plus - The National Youth Jazz Orch live at LWT. There are as always with their LP's a couple fo stand out moments on here. There are tracks written by Mike Vickers, John Cameron and Harry South.Hampton Hawes - Northern Windows - LP is produced by Axe so you know their is going to be some heat on here. The standout is the track Web. - Spare.Today I went back to see Chris at Groove Merchant and traded the remains if the pieces I had brought from the UK. Got the following:Pepe Gonzalez - Sintetizador Musical - Mex LP with one funky track, Great cover of the Niteliners band track K-Jee.Heikki Sarmanto - New Hope Jazz Mass - Beautiful jazz LP recorded live in New York. Amazing spiritual jazz.Billy Butler - Guitar Soul - Super funky LP on Prestige, so many good tracks.The Professionals on Tour - Sealed copy of this rare LP from Belize includes the sought after cover of The Godfather theme with huge drums.Harvey Averne - Barrio Band Rock n Latin - Whole LP is great. Really heavy latin rock.From Groove Mercahnt I headed up to 101 Music in North Beach deep in the heart of Little Italy and found some great LP's:Billy Hawks - More Heavy Soul - Couldn't believe when I saw this sitting in the racks, og blue Prestige copy!!! Baby I Believe I'm Losing You is the biz!!Urbie Green - Green Power - This is my favourite LP on Project 3, so many dope tarcks from Trombonist Green inc. Green Power, Sidewinder, Lumps. - Spare.Montreal - A Summers Night - 3 sealed og copies!! The track Summertime is pure folk funk biz. - Spares.The Meters - Rejuvination - When I heard Just Kissed my Baby sampled by PE many moons ago I knew I had to have that record. A few years later I found my copy and now I've got this one. Not the rarest Meters LP but still cool. - Spare.The Rance Allen Group - A Soulful Experience - Funky soul gospel numbers.Blue Mitchell - Collisions in Black - Great Blue Note outing by Mitchell with a few worthwhile funky tracks inc. Swahilli Suite.

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    dude you're

would hate to see what your house looks like

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    where exactly is the Half Price Books in the bay area?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    HPB...

HPB...

I just moved here. I come from a land of no HPB.

• Johnny Guitar Watson - Listen - Not seen this one before, looks interesting, any one know it?

This album rules.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    oh I don't know anything about the Bay Area, but Half Price Books is a great place to dig because unlike a lot of record stores unless it's Elvis or The Beatles they have no idea what the shit is. If you live near one find it! Unfortunately there aren't any in Michigan...yet.

oh I don't know anything about the Bay Area, but Half Price Books is a great place to dig because unlike a lot of record stores unless it's Elvis or The Beatles they have no idea what the shit is. If you live near one find it! Unfortunately there aren't any in Michigan...yet.

yeah, this is what I've heard. $1.95 Afro Harping, etc.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    HPB is in Berkerley near the Bart station.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I did go to Open Mind but only got one LP.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    mashmakhan fucking rules!!!!

HPB is in Berkerley near the Bart station.

Thanks!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm patiently awaiting that Curtis Green 45 in the mail right now. I've been listening to the sounclip on lotusland's site daily for like 2 months now. Such an ill song.

• Been in SF now for a week and a half and am having a ball. Managed to hook up with Jinx74 and get to quite a few stores in the area. This is a diary of my finds. Feel free to comment or offer any info you may have.
    Dude, you have too much time in your hands SF is a beauty, what else did you do? Did you go to Zeitgeist and tasted the gardenburger or anything?

• I did go to Open Mind but only got one LP.

Same here, I've gone there on my every SF trip, but usually come out with only couple of records. Prices are also a bit high compared to record conditions...

• Jonas Gwangwa and African Explosion - Who?? -

that's the trombone (iirc) player who was on a lot of Masekela sessions

The Meters - Rejuvination - - Spare.

i would like to holler at this.

nice digs. i was out there in August, went to a lot of the same spots, lotsa fun!

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I've been to SF 4 times now so I've done all the tourist stuff although I did go over the Golden gate Bridge on a bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (to get to a record shop!!)

• I've been to SF 4 times now so I've done all the tourist stuff although I did go over the Golden gate Bridge on a bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (to get to a record shop!!)

I wasn't actually meaning the tourist stuff since I know you've been there before...

And yeah, if you can call Zeitgeist from some tourist map you need to be really lucky. Go check it out, it's a nice biergarten at the corner of 13th and Valencia. Grap a pitcher of Sierra with friends and order really smoky charbroiled gardenburger. With that you can get all the x-vitamins in the world.

And I almost forgot, nice finds mate!

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Thanks for the info Phil but I'm a veggie, I could just have the pitcher I suppose!!!

• Thanks for the info Phil but I'm a veggie, I could just have the pitcher I suppose!!!
    I know you too well from VV boards. Gardenburger is a veggie burger This is Amino btw

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Oh yeah, seems obvious that it would be now I think about it!!! And I knew it was you Amino, I read the post the other day where you received a royal welcome from the Soulstrut massive!!!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    dang i can barely ever find anything out here. although i think that could be because of my whack digging skills. your list is extensive

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Yeah I've been pretty lucky and persistant!!!

• Yeah I've been pretty lucky and persistant!!!

Dude, if you're still around the bay and feel like buying some more records I have a crate or two of stuff to sell. I'm in Berkeley. PM me if interested (actually that goes for anyone in the area).

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    check your pm's