Recommended "audiophile" needles.

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I've been doing a lot of archiving lately and wanted to step my needle game up. Shits only going to be used for playing and recording so I don't need anything rugged. I would prefer to spend under $100 but willing to spend more if it's worth it.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    jerry raskins needle doctor

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    jerry raskins needle doctor

Beware, they have weird hours and aren't always open when they say they are, on another note the place has absolutly REEKED of fresh weed in the store the last two times i was there. Not like freshly burned, but like a QP of the sticky icky laying on a tray somewheres just outta site.

• Crystal clear. and the most bang for your buck in this price range.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I've been doing a lot of archiving lately and wanted to step my needle game up. Shits only going to be used for playing and recording so I don't need anything rugged. I would prefer to spend under $100 but willing to spend more if it's worth it.

what soundcard and mixer do you have? both those make a bigger difference in sound when recording i believe.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    can i ask yall if using an audiophile cartridge on a dj table will really be worth it? cause i'm planning on archiving a lot of my records in a few months also, but don't know if the increase of quality would be that significant (and worth it) if i'm still using a dj table instead of one of them audiophile tables

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

what soundcard and mixer do you have? both those make a bigger difference in sound when recording i believe.
    Rane TTM-56 mixer and M-Audio Firewire 410 soundcard.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo, Brian,

What kind of table are you rocking?

peace

h

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I don't really want to buy a new turntable or anything else right now beyond a cartridge.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't really want to buy a new turntable or anything else right now beyond a cartridge.

Yo,

A 1200 is a good table. Visit the KAB industries web page for suggestions for needles/tweaks. The dude who runs the company know more about 1200's than anybody I've ever spoken to.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

Peace

h

• Just noticed that Amazon.com (of all places) is selling Shure M97xE for 59% off.
    The list price is $140 and now they're selling it for $57.99.

M97xE is the best cartridge Shure is making at the moment after they discontinued the legendary V15 recently.
    I'm using Shure V15 myself and it's an incredible cartridge and would recommend it but it's a lot more expensive. The quality of M97xE is said to be very close to V15 though. Should be great especially for archiving as these are some of the best tracking cartridges around.

Chect this out!

• what was the name of that needle day suggested awhile back? i forgot to write down the model, but a friend of mine swore by it when i showed him the thread back then. i believe it was in a thread about "sampling" needles.

thanks for that amazon link...

• How's the wear on records with this one?