Props to Hogginthefogg

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
youve come a loooong way, kiddo. i may be on the late bus on this but front cover article?? like that, pappi? shit, i remember when you was like the sports page editor for streetsheet. you done came up, Pun! nicely done. rolling stone next??

http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2005-10-19/news/feature.html

no SLaVeBrOwN ??

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ross,

Nice one dude. In 10 years for writing for the friggin Guardian, I never once got a cover story. Nevaaaaaaa....

youve come a loooong way, kiddo. i may be on the late bus on this but front cover article?? like that, pappi? shit, i remember when you was like the sports page editor for streetsheet. you done came up, Pun! nicely done. rolling stone next??

http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2005-10-19/news/feature.html

no SLaVeBrOwN ??

• Great article (no artical don) Ross.

Seriously, nice work.

• shit, i remember when you was like the sports page editor for streetsheet.

LOL! Best line I've read on here in a while. And thanks for the props, Mang.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The athletic master of ceremonies wears his hair in a corona of 6-inch dreads, framing a face handsome enough to win the group more than its fair share of female fans.

LOL! Best line I've read in a while.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Great job, Ross.

Zion I was bridinging that gap between scenes as far back as 6-7 years ago...their beats have always had that knock, they used to do shows at La Pena sandwiched in between the likes of Prophets of Rage and the Coup, and whenever they did shows in SF they would serve as a rallying point for all of the East Bay folks in the house.

Oh yeah, who's this?

Zion I is weak because they're corny...but Justin Timberlake, he's the real deal, yo.

Great job, Ross.

Zion I was bridinging that gap between scenes as far back as 6-7 years ago...their beats have always had that knock, they used to do shows at La Pena sandwiched in between the likes of Prophets of Rage and the Coup, and whenever they did shows in SF they would serve as a rallying point for all of the East Bay folks in the house.

Oh yeah, who's this?

Zion I is weak because they're corny...but Justin Timberlake, he's the real deal, yo.

That is not an accurate quote; I really don't speak that way.

It does, however, accurately encapsulate my sentiments.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    BIG UPS R*SS!!!

also Serg and Stef's blogs were mentioned in the cover story on the Sf Weekly like two weeks ago.

REAL WORLD MOVES YALL

BIG UPS R*SS!!!

Yeah, just to be clear: clowning aside, I am actually really proud of Ross for this one.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    propers

At least you're willing to OWN UP...

to your illogically bad taste.

On that note, the Three 6 album has really grown on me since I initially told you it was not-so-special.

• Yeah, just to be clear: props aside, I am actually really clowning Ross for this one.

For the rackord: the editor approached me to do a fly-on-the-wall piece on any Bay Area rapper I thought was important enough to grace the cover, so I pitched E-40. I had a few brief phone convos with E-Feasible (dude's voicemail greetings are hilarious: Press 9 if you'd like to page...THA WATERMELON!), but it didn't work out with his insane schedule.

Now, 40 on the cover of the SF Weekly? I'll still try to make it happen.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    It does, however, accurately encapsulate my sentiments.

Ditto.

Ditto on the praise, too. Good job, dude. Got your mix CD in the mail today too and and the shiz biddangs as well.

Kudos.

Now make that 40 piece happen.

-e

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    congrats, dun.. even though i had the inside track.

i'm still working on said project, it's turning out pretty well. You will be getting a fat package soon (no promo)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I won't pretend to have enough context to know what the story is (i.e. "what it do") with the SF Weekly, but I gather from what's been said here that getting on its front page ain't beanbag, so congratulations, Ross.

You know, in reading that article, as well as in reading the stuff that dude has written here and elsewhere, the word that keeps coming to mind is "grace." It's always the wild shit that gets the most attention, but I don't know if folks appreciate how fuckin' hard it is to operate like Ross does, to write without leaving any fingerprints, to talk about other people???s pictures without smearing their canvas with your own paint, and to leave someone understanding without ever once making them realize that they???ve been made to understand. I wasn???t really kidding when I said earlier that the hazard of his mix CDs is that they will convince you that you know some shit about some shit that, seventy minutes ago, you didn???t know shit about. Whether reading or listening, Zion I or Bayarrhea or whatever, you won???t feel like you???ve been taught something, you'll just end up feeling like you know. You will never see Ross flip the light switch, you will only feel illuminated. And please recognize: That kind of egolessness, that willingness to deliver the real weight and then just vanish, is grown-man shit of the highest caliber. So yeah, props.

• ROSS! Dude that is great. Congratulations of the highest order.

Not to take anything away from the achievement, but

Zion I was bridinging that gap between scenes as far back as 6-7 years ago...their beats have always had that drum & bass influence, they used to do shows at La Pena sandwiched in between the likes of Jamalski and Kemetic Suns, and whenever they did shows in SF they would serve as a rallying point for all of the ravers in the house.

HAD TO.

• just copped a paper copy last night and read the article. nice one!

however, being a strutter, I would have liked to have seen further development of the "underlying racial issues" subject:

I know everyone has their opinions about what they like, that's natural, but what's disconcerting is when you start really analyzing and creating a reason why you like this and why that is not good, but underneath it are these racial overtones that you're not even aware of."

Zion I was bridinging that gap between scenes as far back as 6-7 years ago...their beats have always had that drum & bass influence, they used to do shows at La Pena sandwiched in between the likes of Jamalski and Kemetic Suns, and whenever they did shows in SF they would serve as a rallying point for all of the ravers in the house.

Why ya wanna playa hate on me...err, I mean yaself.

Ross has been doing it for the longest...at least since I first ran into him telling KTSB deejays in a staff meeting that they should be playing more Das Efx and Redman.

• Zion I was bridinging that gap between scenes as far back as 6-7 years ago...their beats have always had that drum & bass influence, they used to do shows at La Pena sandwiched in between the likes of Jamalski and Kemetic Suns, and whenever they did shows in SF they would serve as a rallying point for all of the ravers in the house.

Ross has been doing it for the longest...at least since I first ran into him telling KTSB deejays in a staff meeting that they should be playing more Das Efx and Redman.

LOL! You are right about one thing though, I'm poking almost as much fun at myself as I am at Zion.

• Ross has been doing it for the longest...at least since I first ran into him telling KTSB deejays in a staff meeting that they should be playing more Das Efx and Redman.

Oh snapple.

FULL DISCLOSURE: This was in 1992.

LOL! You are right about one thing though, I'm poking almost as much fun at myself as I am at Zion.

Even funnier to me is that both of our statements about Zion I were factually accurate.

• I won't pretend to have enough context to know what the story is (i.e. "what it do") with the SF Weekly, but I gather from what's been said here that getting on its front page ain't beanbag, so congratulations, Ross.

You know, in reading that article, as well as in reading the stuff that dude has written here and elsewhere, the word that keeps coming to mind is "grace." It's always the wild shit that gets the most attention, but I don't know if folks appreciate how fuckin' hard it is to operate like Ross does, to write without leaving any fingerprints, to talk about other people???s pictures without smearing their canvas with your own paint, and to leave someone understanding without ever once making them realize that they???ve been made to understand. I wasn???t really kidding when I said earlier that the hazard of his mix CDs is that they will convince you that you know some shit about some shit that, seventy minutes ago, you didn???t know shit about. Whether reading or listening, Zion I or Bayarrhea or whatever, you won???t feel like you???ve been taught something, you'll just end up feeling like you know. You will never see Ross flip the light switch, you will only feel illuminated. And please recognize: That kind of egolessness, that willingness to deliver the real weight and then just vanish, is grown-man shit of the highest caliber. So yeah, props.

James,

This is, perhaps, the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me (and from the Strut's most talented wordsmiff, at that). Thank you very kindly.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

track down ant banks!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    That kind of egolessness, that willingness to deliver the real weight and then just vanish, is grown-man shit of the highest caliber. So yeah, props.

I don't think I can say it any better. Such a cool hommie and easy to hang out with. Congrats Duppy.