Weird DJ Clue live set + interview from 2002

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Check this shit out. Go to about the 1 hour 25 min. mark for a bit of pre-mix chat, then listen to DJ Clue (and his partner's) live-on-air-DMC practice set. Gotta be honest and say that for being such a big name, Clue's set isn't really all that good, and the interview afterwards is really strange. See what you think about this.

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i've seen him spin live on mtv and it was really . no beat matching, just slamming one track into another....in other words

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i've seen him spin live in Seattle and it was really . no beat matching, just slamming one track into another and yelling "CLUUUUUE" "CLUUUUUUMANATI" over and over again....in other words

• i've seen him spin live in Seattle and it was really . no beat matching, just slamming one track into another and yelling "CLUUUUUE" "CLUUUUUUMANATI" over and over again....in other words

Ya'll really need to listen to that link.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    i've seen him spin live in Seattle and it was really . no beat matching, just slamming one track into another and yelling "CLUUUUUE" "CLUUUUUUMANATI" over and over again....in other words

Yep and he got 15 grand for it too!

Is this a fuckin' joke or what? They can't be fucking serious!

my sentiments exactly...15 fuckin grand to yell cluuuuuuuminati

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    pretty fucking awful

"You got any diet soda?"

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

thats the way to do it. At least hes got turntables. I dont think whoo kid even brings those.

thats the way to do it. At least hes got turntables. I dont think whoo kid even brings those.

He doesn't. Whoo Kid has two of those replay machines that look like a keyboard on a computer and hold 8 hours of music. One has a gun shot in it and the other has all of the songs. He just hits buttons.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    i've seen him spin live on mtv and it was really . no beat matching, just slamming one track into another....in other words

You guys are assuming that in order to be a big name he must be "good". From a business perspective, he doesn't.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Whoa, that what hilarious. What a laugh. They sound totally clueless (pun intended). I like the way the interviewer calls out the wackness, and these guys are just embarassing themselves talking about Gap Band raers and 'finding the groove, maaaan'. So funny .

I like the way the interviewer calls out the wackness, and these guys are just embarassing themselves talking about Herb Alpbert raers and 'finding the groove, maaaan'. So not funny.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You guys are assuming that in order to be a big name he must be "good". From a business perspective, he doesn't.

He's not famous for his DJ skillz. He actually is--or at least used to be--"good" at the thing that he's famous for: obtaining exclusives.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    my impression was that this isn't really DJ Clue, just a bunch of college kids havin a good time??

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    my impression was that this isn't really DJ Clue, just a bunch of college kids havin a good time??

saying, joke right?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I haven't listened to it, but that seems likely to me. I can't imagine that Clue would have any interest in competing in a "turntablist" competition.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Check this shit out. Go to about the 1 hour 25 min. mark for a bit of pre-mix chat, then listen to DJ Clue (and his partner's) live-on-air-DMC practice set. Gotta be honest and say that for being such a big name, Clue's set isn't really all that good, and the interview afterwards is really strange. See what you think about this.

One love guys, it's one love. It's like being at a party that you're supposed to be at, but not supposed to be at. One love. Oh, and FYI, sometimes it's not one love overseas at international competitions.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    LOL. This is like the Spinal Tap of Turntablism.

LOL. This is like the Spinal Tap of Turntablism.

the cross fader contour goes to eleven.....

• Haha, it's got to be a joke...
    The best bit is when after they played those songs they were saying how dope it was to each other... and denying it was over 6 minutes...

• LOL. This is like the Spinal Tap of Turntablism.

Exactly. If you haven't figured it out by now, this is indeed a put-on and the host is Tom Scharpling, half of the duo responsible for that "music snob" routine I posted awhile back. His show on WFMU is freaking hilarious and you can hear more shows here (I recommend listening to them in chronological order):
    http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/BS

Or check his website:
    http://www.friendsoftom.com/

Some sample show descriptions:

November 20, 2001: Tom Gets Yelled At By An Alleged Record Fair Shopper. Tom Gets Schmoozed By An Alleged Smirnoff Ice District Manager. Tom Tries To Make ALove Connection Between Two Listeners. And A Little Bit Of Cannonball Run Talk To Close It Out!

September 25, 2001: Tom Talks To An Angry Mr. Bungle Fan, Julian From The Strokes, Mark From Sparklehorse, And Gets Goofed On By A Pair Of Teenage Girls, And Ultimately Attempts To Return Things To An Artificial State Of Normalcy.

July 3, 2001: The Return of Augie Richards, And His Plan To Sue Tom And Take His Batter Butler On The Road. Also, Tom Challenges His Listeners To Find One Frank Zappa Song That Doesn't Suck.

April 17, 2001: Tom Explains Why He Hates Al Green and NRBQ

April 10, 2001: Tom Challenges WFMU DJ's To A Fight.

• damn I need to get my audio/soundcard working again. this sounds great

• awallawall 673 Posts
    the guy that's doing to voice of dj clue is comedian jon benjamin of dr. katz/home movies fame.

i also have a feeling that these guys don't know dj clue exists and chose a fake name not knowing that an famous dj already had it. but regardless i still think this is a pretty great parody of the lives that a lot of people on the website live.

"i bring my fisher price..."