The Shape of Ornette (RR)

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Ornette is kicking my ass at work this morning. Two of my favorites are

What are your favorites?

Comments

• Cosign on both, and add these...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

This is def in my top 5 all time favs. Ornette is GOD!

• This is def in my top 5 all time favs. Ornette is GOD!

He doesn't let your attention slip away from the music. I am at work and as soon as I focus on my work for a second I hear something that just stops me in my tracks. I have heard these albums so many times before, but each time I put them on they sound fresh and exciting.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    cosign and add free jazz and collective improvisations

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yes. His music affects me in a way that I have yet to experience with any other music. It's very hard to describe. I've read him use the term "inner logic" to describe it, and I think that makes sense. There is something very intuitive about his stuff. it hits me on a deeper level critical thought, which is how I take in most music.

The Atlantic box set is (CD's) is amazing!

• yes. His music affects me in a way that I have yet to experience with any other music. It's very hard to describe. I've read him use the term "inner logic" to describe it, and I think that makes sense. There is something very intuitive about his stuff. it hits me on a deeper level critical thought, which is how I take in most music.

The Atlantic box set is (CD's) is amazing!

Well said, every note he plays sounds like its in just the right place. He also had a habit of surrounding himself with really good musicians. Billy Higgins, Don Cherry, Freddie Hubbard, Charles Moffett....

• cosign on everything he did for Atlantic...revolutionary to say the least...

I listen to these two over and over...

the vocal stuff on here is beautiful

just killer...

• I've been digging on Science Fiction lately. Ornettes quotes on his album liner notes are the best. Dude spoke the truth.

• What are your favorites?

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

the vocal stuff on here is beautiful

fave. asha puthli is one of my fave voices, and i wish she had done more avant-garde stuff like this. one of the best albums ever.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Shape of Jazz to Come is the groundbreaking classic and still sounds great today if a little tame compared to what came in the years and decades to follow.

Change of the Century is the absolute best IMO and the one I probably listen to the most.