Sampling/Hip Hop Production book...

el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
What was the name of that book which i think was about sampling and hip hop production, i remember readong about it on here, it had quotes from Jake One and others in it....I wanted to get it but i've searched amazon and can't remember who it was by or the title...Any help appreciated.Thanks!

Comments

• One of them is called "Making Beats: The Art of Sample Based Hip Hop" by Joseph Schloss, and someone else posted a new one that his buddy put out, that was less ethnography, and more of visits to DJ/producers home studios.

• Dope, thanks mate, that's the one! I'd be interested to see this new one too... any idea who it's by?

• Haha, i just read this review, i think i might leave this book now:
    "Being a "beat maker" (plus "digger" as juxtaposedly pondered by this tome), and educated literary consumer, I immediately jumped at the chance to own this book, thinking it would contain lots of information about the origin of beat making, practices, and culture... how WRONG I was.

This book is a terrible, completely theoretical, look at the hip hop industry. It is the driest read I have ever had the misfortune to own - and I read a *lot* of technical manuals.

The writer may have some knowledge on the field, but he will bore you to death within the first five pages (I guarantee it), and you will throw this book in a cupboard never to be looked at again.

Reading a dictionary would hold more interest. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!"

I'll look out for the other one though...