Absolut Vonnegut

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Had a request from a lurker for this when I mentioned it a while back, so I figured I'd share the link while it was still good. Kurt Vonnegut reading Cat's Cradle lpCat's Cradle side A Cat's Cradle Side B I tried desparately to find cover art for this online to no avail. I'll try to scan it later on. Until then, enjoy some of this great corporate sponsored artwork instead:

Comments

• I wish I could listen to that he has been a favorite author of mine for a long time. I would love to hear how he pronounces all the names and things.

• Vonnegut's "Player Piano" is

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this one's always been my favorite...

i've always wondered why they never made a shitty movie out of this or cats cradle. the singer from modest mouse stole my first copy.

• girgir 329 Posts

i've always wondered why they never made a shitty movie out of this or cats cradle.

because they made shitty movie versions of slaughterhouse five and breakfast of champions and decided to stop there.

although i hear the adaption of mother night to film is supposed to be good.

my favorite is probably slapstick or hocus pocus.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    although i hear the adaption of mother night to film is supposed to be good

Probably the best.

Although the Happy Birthday Wanda June movie was pretty good. 60's Rod Steiger type business.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    anybody have that Richard Brautigan record for me?

because they made a shitty movie version of breakfast of champions
    hahaha, a fellow strutter* and i went to the world premier of this and heckled the shit out of bruce willis and nick nolte (who was wearing slippers and a bathrobe).

the adaption of mother night to film is really good.

my second favorite is probably slapstick

anybody have that Richard Brautigan record for me?
    ken engler.

• The funny thing about Vonnegut to me is that I've read and enjoyed probably eight of his books, and none of them really stuck with me. I've got Hocus Pocus on the shelf next to a bunch of novels that I've read around the same time and all of them I remember better than Hocus Pocus. Moral of the story? I don't know. Mother Night is probably my favorite of his, Slaughterhouse V didn't really impress me like I expected it to. Thanks for the uploads, I'll peep them later.

• kitkit 5 Posts
    Did Bill Murray star in any Vonnegut movie-made-from-book movie?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I kinda feel Hertzhog. I really enjoy Vonnegut's books, but they're all sort've muddle together in my head. Not being impressed by "Slaughterhouse five" is crazy, though! That book is great. I think I thought "Sirens of Titan" was really funny. Don't really remember. I remember "Time Quake" being good too. Blah... Vonnegut=Good.

-e

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

good looking out. listened to it twice tonight at work (i'm hard up for new stuff). almost forgot i was listening to a record until it start skipping towards the end.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I kinda feel Hertzhog. I really enjoy Vonnegut's books, but they're all sort've muddle together in my head. Not being impressed by "Slaughterhouse five" is crazy, though! That book is great. I think I thought "Sirens of Titan" was really funny. Don't really remember. I remember "Time Quake" being good too. Blah... Vonnegut=Good.

-e

Vonnegut's writing repeatedly explores the themes of dehumanization in the face of technological advancement, the blunders and horrors of war, and humanist notions as alternatives... They're cute, witty, quick reads. He's a solid writer. Good stuff, indeed. But I gotta say, Em*l, to my mind, Timequake was his biggest failure. The book was quite obviously written, then edited, then rewritten, then poorly reassembled. No number of witty, intertexual references to this fact could correct the problems or distract me from the fact that it was just... sloppy compared to his other works. Some of my favorite Vonnegut titles include:

Player Piano

The Sirens of Titan

Cat's Cradle

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade

Gal??pagos

Hocus Pocus

Welcome to the Monkey House

===

Quick story:

In July, 2000 I was on a flight from D.C. to to Indianapolis, sitting in a window seat reading from an anthology of postmodern short fiction. About half way through the flight, the woman in the aisle seat asked me what postmodern fiction was. I paused, trying to come of with an author with whom she might be familiar, when she asked, "...like Vonnegut?" Sure, like Vonnegut. It turned out that she was Kurt's first cousin and was returning to Indianapolis to visit some of their family still living in the city. I jotted down several details from the conversation, but I can't recall any at present, except that her son was sitting between the two of us and kept trying to show me his Magic - The Gathering cards, attempts which she gruffly discouraged in between bouts of motion sickness.

Thanks for sharing the recording. He's a hometown hero.

• Not being impressed by "Slaughterhouse five" is crazy, though! That book is great.

Nah, nah-- I'm just saying that it didn't blow me away like Vonnegut's "best novel" should. As a matter of fact, I'm planning to give it another read as I'm about to watch the much-praised Slaughterhouse film.

But yeah:

Vonnegut=Good.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    But I gotta say, Em*l, to my mind, Timequake was his biggest failure. The book was quite obviously written, then edited, then rewritten, then poorly reassembled. No number of witty, intertexual references to this fact could correct the problems or distract me from the fact that it was just... sloppy compared to his other works.

C**nt,

I trust your opinion on the well-written-ness of the written-ness, but if I recall correctly, "Timequake" was the first book I read by Vonnegut, which of course, makes for a slightly odd reading experience given that the thing is so deliberately intertextual. So, suffice it to say that I'm sure I missed a shit load of the references and what not. However, I was struck by the book's secular optimism. It was clear that Vonnegut wanted to write a book that summed up his existence without being too overly-sentimental and certainly without being at all religious, and the book was just a really peaceful portrait of a man who had come to grips with his mortality and had found a great deal of peace in his life. It was charming and, for some reason, it really hit me. Perhaps it was more a result of the emotional state I was in at the time (can't really remember what--if anything--i was going through at the time), but there was just something about the book that I found extremely touching and "important" (for lack of a better word). The sloppiness you speak of was never apparent to me and, to be honest, probably wouldn't bother me in the first place (the same way Madlib's sloppiness is endearing and instintcual instead of particularly off-putting).

-e

• good looking out. listened to it twice tonight at work (i'm hard up for new stuff). almost forgot i was listening to a record until it start skipping towards the end.

Yeah, those skips bug the shit out of me cause it's a minty record, and it skipped in different spots after I cleaned it, and there were no visible boogers or anything....boo!

• I tried desparately to find cover art for this online to no avail. I'll try to scan it later on.

I apologize for the seam - had to do it in photoshop cause I couldn't find my lady's usb cable for her camera...