Dumping the Goods (no econo)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Bought a huge amount of records and dumped most if it (aka the crappy ones) outside of a dumpster near my work. Not in the dumpster, but next to it. I have a view of the dumpster from my office and have been watching "headz" go up and inspect it. I would have donated the LPs but many were mold-damaged and it would have been a bit too much work for a Sunday night. So far:1. heard my co-worker tell me some guy went through it but walked off without any lps2. punky kid driving a huge freight truck stopped and went through it, no records acquired. Of course I left my camera at home today, haha. I'm hoping somebody in the course of the day will step up and just take it all. This has happened before and I ended up seeing them at the swap meet after some landscapers took 6 crates worth, hah. Anyone else ever throw away a GINORMOUS amount of records?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Excellent use of "headz"...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I save the covers to use as packaging inserts.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Damn, that's a pretty good idea Crink.

yeah. I used to toss 'em out too, but them cardboard inserts get expensive, yo!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    So Leo Sayer records aren't worthless? Leo packing...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yeah. I used to toss 'em out too, but them cardboard inserts get expensive, yo!

I make cardboard mailers from boxes, etc. Not too bad if you make them all at once.

So Leo Sayer records aren't worthless? Leo packing...

exactly.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I save the covers to use as packaging inserts.

I tend to do the same, then i make vinyl bowls and give em to the ladies at work and they go bananas for it.

dunno why.

• Few years ago I bought a huge jazz collection, maybe 5000 pieces, for $125. I am not joking! Trouble was 95 percent of the records were not in the sleeves. Dude had BOXES and BOXES of sleeves and 6-foot tall cylinders of records sitting in his basement.

I had them in my garage for a long time and I would reassemble the bits slowly as I had separated all the jackets and lps by labels - blue notes, prestige, New Jazz, Groove Merchants, etc, etc.

Eventually I was left with like 50 percent with either 1) no covers or 2) no vinyls.

Finally, I got sick of them taking up my entire garage, so I threw them away. It took 4-5 weeks filling my two trash cans with records and jackets each week before they were finally all gone.

I did get some crazy stuff - Wooden Glass, Nubian Lady, Hail Caesar! etc out of it before it was all gone.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is a common problem. Friends, Families, Distant Relatives all want to give me their records (usally Annie Soundtracks and Rod Stewarts)... I say yes and usually end up gutting them for the jackets for packing inserts and keeping the inner sleeves.

I just got this big disco collection and dumped 7/10th of them at the local store for $70 in credit. Beats throwing them into a landfill.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Beats / throwing them into a landfill.

Anticon lyrics for days

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    This scenario is filmed in the record-collecting movie 'Vinyl' where a bunch of records are put out on the street, and the guy films who stops and goes through them.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This scenario is filmed in the record-collecting movie 'Vinyl' where a bunch of records are put out on the street, and the guy films who stops and goes through them.

This reminds me of some record shows.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

This reminds me of some record shows.

I think it's funny, because I've done it too (looked through garbage records on the street, that is) - what was I thinking? That it's a pile of Nico Gomez-es? I've never pulled heat out of anything like that, but still I've stopped and looked, and I bet I'll do it again, too.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    People throw out tons of good stuff. A friend of mine has made thousands off the stuff that other people threw away. Some items include:

-Gold coins

-Autographs by Thomas Edison w/certificate of authenticity

-$100 books and textbooks, including a Beach Boys book

-$30 78s (including a James Brown one on Federal)

-Gold and Platinum records by Diane Krall and Cold respectively.

-Some good records, including a Sam The Sham promo from 69.

-Bruce Springsteen marquee poster to some live show he did in some NYC club in the 80s I sold for $105.

THE CURB IS FREE![/b]

Never dumpster diving, dude just looks at the curb and recycle bins.

I threw out tons of 80s rock singles, ripped out the inner sleeves, even took the plain sleeves for records I have that didn't have covers. I've even thrown in some dope inserts of great records of records I don't have when I'm shipping, such as Nasty Nas's "Halftime" and It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back.

Recycle and keep in mind that people throw away amazing stuff.

Peace

T.N.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Mark, I just threw out about 50-75 jacketless records, empty jackets, and thrashed records with otherwise OK covers that look nice on the wall. Work out the numbers however you want, but there's no point in keeping the crud around once you've made your haul.

I kept some stuff to see if it's salvageable, that will probably get thrown out later.

Related: does anyone get a perverse sense of satisfaction from throwing records and smashing them? When me and my boys used to get records that looked dope but ended up being crap we'd break them over our heads.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I'm about to toss a lot of mine in the dumpster by our apartment. The collection needs trimmed quite a bit.

• does anyone get a perverse sense of satisfaction from throwing records and smashing them? When me and my boys used to get records that looked dope but ended up being crap we'd break them over our heads.

Skeet shooting would be fun.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Related: does anyone get a perverse sense of satisfaction from throwing records and smashing them? When me and my boys used to get records that looked dope but ended up being crap we'd break them over our heads.

My friend and I were going through our massive 45 haul last week, playing stuff to see what was worth keeping/selling/etc, and he put on this rock track on Minaret that looked like it would be dope, and was just sooo gay...

He took it off and went to smash it off his head, but only managed to crease his forehead pretty well...he sat there rubbing his dome, going, "...fucking styrene!"[/b]

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    he put on this rock track on Minaret that looked like it would be dope, and was just sooo gay...He took it off and went to smash it off his head

Minaret? Looked dope? Sooo gay?

Golden Toadstools "Silly Savage" fits that bill so if that's what it is and your friend's forehead failed to bust it, send it over here so I can break it for you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    he put on this rock track on Minaret that looked like it would be dope, and was just sooo gay...He took it off and went to smash it off his head

Minaret? Looked dope? Sooo gay?

Golden Toadstools "Silly Savage" fits that bill so if that's what it is and your friend's forehead failed to bust it, send it over here so I can break it for you.

haha I wish..no, it was "Sunny" by the New Lime..maybe "looked dope" was a stretch, more like, "a label that has dope tracks, maybe/hopefully this one is, too..." and ends up sounding like The Partridge Family. I'll send you one if you want to smash it over your head...just remember that styrene WILL WORK YOU.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    then i make vinyl bowls and give em to the ladies at work

like to eat out of?

you smokin that straight nuclear, huh. thats cute like earl boykins.

yall see that shit when greg anthony called earl boykins cute? twas funny. damn its late.