New turntable technology

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Man wtf?!http://www.skratchworx.com/images/plasa2005/vestax/controller1_1.mp4Next up is the Controller 1. Previously know as the Melody, this is the next level musical turntable designed by D-Styles and Ricci Rucker. Now appearing in gleaming piano black, the Controller1 is an interesting deck for sure. Aside from being a cracking scratch deck, it's also revolutionary in that it can play notes. The 8 buttons around the platter correspond to notes in a scale and can be played in major or minor key. It can be controlled by a footpedal or on the deck itself. But this is the most interesting and impressive - it can also be controlled by Midi. Check out the movie to get a better idea of how it works. A little note about the movie - in the foreground you can hear some regular Ahhh scratching - it's the beepy tone stuff behind that you need to listen to. It shows the little Yamaha box knocking out a beat and sending midi signals to the Controller1 to change the pitch.[/b](WTF>!) Availability should be "soon" with an estimated price tag of ??1000.http://www.skratchworx.com/news/comments.php4?id=344This, however, is taking things a bit far:

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Man wtf?!

http://www.skratchworx.com/images/plasa2005/vestax/controller1_1.mp4

Next up is the Controller 1. Previously know as the Melody, this is the next level musical turntable designed by D-Styles and Ricci Rucker. Now appearing in gleaming piano black, the Controller1 is an interesting deck for sure. Aside from being a cracking scratch deck, it's also revolutionary in that it can play notes. The 8 buttons around the platter correspond to notes in a scale and can be played in major or minor key. It can be controlled by a footpedal or on the deck itself. But this is the most interesting and impressive - it can also be controlled by Midi. Check out the movie to get a better idea of how it works. A little note about the movie - in the foreground you can hear some regular Ahhh scratching - it's the beepy tone stuff behind that you need to listen to. It shows the little Yamaha box knocking out a beat and sending midi signals to the Controller1 to change the pitch.[/b](WTF>!) Availability should be "soon" with an estimated price tag of ??1000.

http://www.skratchworx.com/news/comments.php4?id=344

This, however, is taking things a bit far:

godamn, the first one sounds quite interesting as i happen to be learning piano and my 800s.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yeah the first one looks cool...

But the second one scares me

Is this where the fuck we are going?

Yeah the first one looks cool...

But the second one scares me

hey djs deserve to do the "guitar solo orgasm face" too, perhaps this will bring them one step closer

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    That second pic is straight ridiculous and has nothing to do with my post. I guess they're doing those Angus models made to order.

But the point of this thread is, in the right hands that ttable could take (for lack of a better word) "turntablism" into some year 3000 shit.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I dunno, I kinda think just having a turntable right next to your keyboard is the same thing if not better.

• MB has been telling me about this, I can't wait to check one out. Imagine the possibilities with even just 3 basenotes to mess with...3 X 8= 24 different notes

I dunno, I kinda think just having a turntable right next to your keyboard is the same thing if not better.

i'm kinda early in my piano learning, but if what i visualize is true, imagine taking any sample and playing it in any pitch and in any scale, i.e. i can take a clip of flavor flav saying "yeaaaaaaaah-boy" and play it in any scale, minor, major or egyptian, i think thats pretty ill...basically, you can mimic any melody, based on any sample as a note...that is so phucking cool, very progressive...like taking wu tang's method man going "cash rules everything around me" and making it sound like jingle bells. phuck that would be amazing to have our hearing evolve to that point, so like instead of having notes, we have samples that align with notes, and vary by pitches.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I remember like 8 years ago I put up a big long post on the old isp board about an idea I had about a pedal that controlled pitch of the turntable... I should have patented that shit.. I know, no one cares, I just had to tell someone.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

i'm kinda early in my piano learning, but if what i visualize is true, imagine taking any sample and playing it in any pitch and in any scale, i.e. i can take a clip of flavor flav saying "yeaaaaaaaah-boy" and play it in any scale, minor, major or egyptian, i think thats pretty ill...basically, you can mimic any melody, based on any sample as a note...that is so phucking cool, very progressive...like taking wu tang's method man going "cash rules everything around me" and making it sound like jingle bells. phuck that would be amazing to have our hearing evolve to that point, so like instead of having notes, we have samples that align with notes, and vary by pitches.

Buy a fucking keyboard.

i have one...the potential to alter pitches of a sample dynamically through a set of keys..or buttons is still appealing.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dude you can do that in about five seconds in ableton.. assign the sample to 8 cells.. adjust the pitch one semitone per cell, map the 8 cells to 8 keys.

and it will play the sample in time, not on some slowed down sk1 steeze.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    dude you can do that in about five seconds in ableton.. assign the sample to 8 cells.. adjust the pitch one semitone per cell, map the 8 cells to 8 keys.

and it will play the sample in time, not on some slowed down sk1 steeze.

word, I do this with my keyboard all day...that's the point of a good sampler or sampling program...this isn't a new idea at all...I'm glad your juiced on this though!
    gNAT

for real? that's cool i didnt know that, thanks for the info

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Man.
    $2000 for constant portamento?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

No, this is where it's going:

To be honest, I think the idea is great. The funny thing is, I still would like a CD turntable for production, and every three months there's some new technology that takes it further. Plus, if anyone has heard Rikki Rucker's album Fuga[/b], that is on some shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Everytime I hear or read something that Ricci Rucker has said I wanna puke in my own mouth.

Yet more wastes of time and R&D funds for Vestax! Just go the fuck outta business already!!!

That midi turntable will go about as far as this previous idiotic vestax invention:

• slushslush 691 Posts
    you watch maaaan, in 2029 some kid is going to find a Fader Board at a pawn shop and revolutionize music. you fucking wait

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    first: that turntable sounds cool. i like the idea, but yeah, i have my doubts as to whether or not its gonna go anywhere.

second: what is that fader board thing? looks stupid. like, actually stupid. unlike that new turntable.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

second: what is that fader board thing? looks stupid. like, actually stupid. unlike that new turntable.

It was supposed to be almost like an MPC for dj's. I saw the video with some DJ redoing Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin To F*** wit.............I at that point in time stopped the video and filed it under "stupid inventions".

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ummmm.....guys?

that shit is kinda gay.

• Everytime I hear or read something that Ricci Rucker has said I wanna puke in my own mouth.

Yet more wastes of time and R&D funds for Vestax! Just go the fuck outta business already!!!

That midi turntable will go about as far as this previous idiotic vestax invention:

What the hell was this thing supposed to do.