Bands where everyone takes turns on lead vocals

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
this is an appreciation thread but i couldn't fit 'appreciation' on the subject line. i appreciate these bands where everyone (or almost everyone) has songs where they sing lead. maybe this is like an older school kinda thang, but i can't name too many modern bands who do this. maybe i am just drawing a blank here, so please school me if you know any.

but yeah

The Band
The Who
Beach Boys

add to the list please

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the beatles

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

SWITCH.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Oh this is bad, I feel bad even bringing this up. This should never be mentioned again but.....

The Eagles?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    canada's sloan..they switch it on the instruments too

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Oh this is bad, I feel bad even bringing this up. This should never be mentioned again but.....
    The Eagles?

The Eagles are dope hommie, been listening to them since the 70s. Smoked a lot of weed and listened to the Eagles dun. "I can't tell you why" is that AM gold heat mane.

• What about bands where everyone on stage plays every instrument?

Fog
    Why?
    The Coctails
    ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    The Eagles?

The Eagles are dope hommie, been listening to them since the 70s. Smoked a lot of weed and listened to the Eagles dun. "I can't tell you why" is that AM gold heat mane.

Sorry meng, but the Eagles are PLAYED OUT.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Eagles?

I would not go see them live now, but their old records are still cool.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    this is an appreciation thread but i couldn't fit 'appreciation' on the subject line. i appreciate these bands where everyone (or almost everyone) has songs where they sing lead. maybe this is like an older school kinda thang, but i can't name too many modern bands who do this. maybe i am just drawing a blank here, so please school me if you know any.

but yeah

The Band
    The Who
    Beach Boys

add to the list please

The Monkees
    Paul Revere & the Raiders

Honorable mention: the David Ruffin-era Temptations (but that's a singing group, not a band).

The Eagles?

Classics never plays out.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    The Eagles?

I would not go see them live now, but their old records are still cool.

ok, i kinda like 'em, but not that much.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

The Eagles?

i think we need a graemlin for rich-guy rock

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
    Kiss
    The Hudson Brothers

---
    I would've said War, but the only song they ever had everyone sing lead was "Why Can't We Be Friends". Pink Floyd would've been on the list, but Nick Mason's only vocal contribution was in "One Of These Days".

i think we need a graemlin for rich-guy rock

Trust me, turn on an oldies radio station right now. Every weekend, it's a Phil Collins fest, and I'm sure he's at home thinking "here come my royalties".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sly and the Family Stone.

Neville Brothers

The Band

Whitfield era Temps (as mentioned)

I think it was the summer of '72 I spent in Santa Fe. The Eagles had their first record out. Desperados, Take It Easy, Tequila Sunrise fit my New Mexico summer perfectly. After getting back to DC I realized they were a top 40 radio schlock group. Schlock is always schlock.

Now Joe Walsh, he's cool.

Dan

Now Joe Walsh, he's cool.

YES!

I always found it odd that The Eagles were major dopers and Glenn Frey ended up doing "Smuggler's Blues". Yet as you stated, schlock.

At least each of them had a solo career, however big or small.

Wait, we forgot this guy too:

• paul simonon only sings on one or two tracks, but

Which album do they share lead vocal duties?

I thought that was what was going on on all their hits; Everyday People, Dance To The Music, Family Affair. Do I need to listen again?

Dan

• The New College Choir:

• Small Faces

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I thought that was what was going on on all their hits; Everyday People, Dance To The Music, Family Affair. Do I need to listen again?

I think Ms. Damn meant individual members on individual songs, not different members chiming in on the same tune (although Larry Graham got a rare feature spot on "Let Me Hear It From You" from A Whole New Thing[/b]).

• mallardmallard 452 Posts

Yo La Tengo

Blonde Redhead

Galaxie 500

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    That Please LP on Telefuken has a very funny track. Each musician is supposed to hum the song's main theme to a huge drum break. They're laughing their asses off, because the only one that can sing is their singer... well, kinda funny.

Does SOM 3 have a lead singer? Aren't all 3 of them able to sing?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    not everyone in the band...but at least a few of them share vocals.

trail of dudes.

• It's probably the exception rather the rule but on Prince's 1999 I'm pretty sure members of the band all get a shot a singing a line from each of the verses. Check the video for further evidence

• I'm guessing The Singers Unlimited don't count either?

but yeah

The Band
    The Who
    Beach Boys

add to the list please

My first list was soul groups where lead vocals are shared, not on an lp, but on songs.

Jefferson Airplane
    Buffallo Springfield
    Didn't the Dead share vocals? Especially in the early Pigpen days.

As for modern bands, I only know one, and they do share lead vocals, North Mississippi Allstars.

But if we are talking about contemporary groups who share the mic, I can think a few hip hop crews that fit that description.

Dan

but yeah

The Band
    The Who
    Beach Boys

add to the list please

Wailers

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts