Rappers Who Lip-Synch Their Shows

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

And sometimes:

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    full on lip-synch? or are they just yelling over the full version of the song? or is at TV track situation where the chorus is on there or what?

just yelling over the full version of the song

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

I saw Rob Base once. Of course nobody was there to hear anything other than 'it takes two'. And when the soundman finally pushed play on the DAT we were very disapointed. It was one of those semi-instrumentals where you can hear the MC rapping the first few words of each line. WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE MIXES FOR? You cant do anything with them all, ...unless your Rob Base and you need some audible cue-cards.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It was one of those semi-instrumentals where you can hear the MC rapping the first few words of each line. WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE MIXES FOR? You cant do anything with them all, ...unless your Rob Base and you need some audible cue-cards.

The 'rap dub'... it was funny as shit when this came up like a year ago and Phill Most chimed in with some "we didn't know what the hell it was for but we put it on there because thats what everyone was doing back then"

Seems like most rappers do shows over the LP version of the track these days, nothing shocking...

What was shocking was watching that Millions More March on CSPAN over the wknd... Jim Jones came on and his words didn't match what was on the backing track and then they cut it off... he said 'Sorry yall, they put the dirty version of the track on by mistake'... and that was it! He left the stage...

Seems like most rappers do shows over the LP version of the track these days, nothing shocking...

Yep, a few rappers doing it every now and then isn't shocking. But the practice so quickly becoming the universal norm for rap shows...that's shocking.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yeah I hate that ish.. A few years back we had passes to the anger managment piece of dung. And Eminem was like lip-syncing some songs for real not even with his mic turned on. Like he would lip-synce every 3rd song or something to get his breath back. Just so wierd how it has been excepted as the standard now.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I saw Rob Base once. Of course nobody was there to hear anything other than 'it takes two'. And when the soundman finally pushed play on the DAT we were very disapointed. It was one of those semi-instrumentals where you can hear the MC rapping the first few words of each line. WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE MIXES FOR? You cant do anything with them all, ...unless your Rob Base and you need some audible cue-cards.

what about "Joy and Pain"????

There needs to be a new word for this ish. It's not really lip-synching and it's not really karaoke. But somehow it's lamer than both.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

• Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

So, is dude calling out all of Houston?

Explain.

Also, are you from NOLA, but now "in exile" in Houston?

Explain.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

i don't think paul wall was lip syncing when i saw him. unless he was just doing a really good job of it.

i can't speak for the others, but it'd make me really sad if bun did it. he should know better than that.

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

Explain.

Explain.

Dude is from Austin I think. The last place in the world that should ever call out Houston!!

"Cowards like to talk shit from a safe place."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

Explain.

Explain.

Dude is from Austin I think. The last place in the world that should ever call out Houston!!

Does the dude you have in mind have an embarassing habit of turning all discussions to Project Blowed? Because I don't really think it's him...

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Uh oh, has he returned?

Very keen eye there, Cashless.

Yeah yeah, Houston whips Austin in a knucklehead fight...yawn haw!

Bun B lip-synched his Backroom show with MDLFNGZ during SXSW 05. The next day at the Fader party though he did his show the right way. Weird to me that he would choose to short paying customers over the blog-nation.

I recall when Rakim was touring The 17th Letter and he was pulling this shit and it most def disappointed mad heads, gawd.

Now I'm confused. Lip-syncing is one thing and rapping over your own record is something wholly other. Which are we talking about??

Did anybody else see Mike Jones, PW and Slim lip-syncing "Still Tippin" on Soul Train a while back??? THAT shit was comedy...

• Very keen eye there, Cashless.

Yeah yeah, Houston whips Austin in a knucklehead fight...yawn haw!

Bun B lip-synched his Backroom show with MDLFNGZ during SXSW 05. The next day at the Fader party though he did his show the right way. Weird to me that he would choose to short paying customers over the blog-nation.

I recall when Rakim was touring The 17th Letter and he was pulling this shit and it most def disappointed mad heads, gawd.

I am not currently on that Grey Goose, but do I know you?

Oh, and "Q" is the 17th Letter. I think the album title you want is "The 18th Letter." I saw him on that tour (in SF) and he was not lip-synching or rhyming over himself on a CD.

There needs to be a new word for this ish. It's not really lip-synching and it's not really karaoke. But somehow it's lamer than both.

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

Explain.

Explain.

Does the dude you have in mind have an embarassing habit of turning all discussions to Project Blowed? Because I don't really think it's him...

Nah, I know it's not Archaic. Just another scrub in a city full of scrubs. He's from Austin though. I saw another one of his posts about Big Mike and Devin performing at an Austin venue.

Funny, I guess he forgot that Devin was from Houston & Big Mike is practically from Houston too.

Cowardly and two faced? Nice combo.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Did anybody else see Mike Jones, PW and Slim lip-syncing "Still Tippin" on Soul Train a while back??? THAT shit was comedy...

all soul train performances are lip synced.

There's no actual live PA on the Soul Train set. EVERYONE that's ever done ST has lip-synched.

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

Explain.

Explain.

Nah, I know it's not Archaic. Just another scrub in a city full of scrubs. He's from Austin though. I saw another one of his posts about Big Mike and Devin performing at an Austin venue.

Funny, I guess he forgot that Devin was from Houston & Big Mike is practically from Houston too.

You can add "sending threatening PMs to people he doesn't know" to that list of winning attributes...

I am not currently on that Grey Goose, but do I know you?

You know me.

all soul train performances are lip synced.

I know... but its usually Keishia Cole, not Still Tippin...

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

Explain.

Explain.

You can add "sending threatening PMs to people he doesn't know" to that list of winning attributes...

plaese to post said PM.

Oh yeah, by the way.

Go to hell!

Explain.

Explain.

plaese to post said PM.

I'm afraid I deleted it as soon as I'd read it...

• I am not currently on that Grey Goose, but do I know you?

You know me.

Well damn, say hi or somethin'!

An explanation from Paul Wall:

When we do the concerts, we rap over a pre-mixed concert track, where the vocals are at a lower volume then on the actual cd. The reason is because the sound systems get too much feedback from the music, which drowns out our actual voice, so the concert tracks are there for vocal "insurance", or back up. As you probly saw last night, the mics were extremely low, so if we wouldn't have had the back up concert track then it would have sounded like our mics were on mute.