conversations in the background of live records

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
ever hear people having clearly audible convo's between songs, or even just shouting random words or laughing during a song? and sometimes over quiet parts where it kinda fucks with the mood of the song? it's wild to think that certain people were chatting away during some legendary live jazz albums, for example, instead of quitely realizing that they're a part of history. makes you think...?

this one particularly struck me: albert ayler - ghosts what is that woman talking about?

Comments

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i think she's saying something to the tune of

"i was sitting on a couch and some dude rolled up on me but he had the feet of a 4 year old boy. little booties. thats all"

• On one of the takes of 'The Man I Love' on 'Miles Davis & The Modern Jazz Giants', Miles can be heard shouting at Monk, about the quality of his "comping" on the song...

• This isn't clearly audible, but... During "Alabama" by the John Coltrane Quartet on his 'Live At Birdland' album you can clearly hear *some* kind of talking going on. I don't know if it's somebody in the crowd talking, just one of the musicians sort of grunting and making other utterances while playing or what, but it always sticks out to me.

• there is a King Crimson bootleg that has some funny shit on it..the funniest is after this loud epic imrov, the music peaks and slowly dies down, the audience is completely silent as the song dissolves to just some sparse, light snare hits and there is a moment of silence before the audience starts aplauding. This one dude, who was obviously feeling it, just blurts out "far out" very enthusiastically in the silence...I crack up everytime I hear it

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    There's some cool talking in Dizzy Gillespie's 'swing low, sweet cadillac'; a woman yells out 'beautiful' and i'm always like, yup, beautiful is the word

• In the live version on Whitey On The Moon, some woman steals Gil's thunder by blurting out the last line before him, and gets a laugh.

• that is possibly the strangest conversation ever captured on a live recording
    isn't it though?

on rufus harley's "a tribute to courage" on the title cut, someone yells out "yes lord!" but it fits in perfectly with the mood. that was ill.

• On Donnie Hathaway???s greatest hits at the beginning of the live version of the ghetto an excited woman yells "alright here it comes" it fits perfectly.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    there is a King Crimson bootleg that has some funny shit on it..the funniest is after this loud epic imrov, the music peaks and slowly dies down, the audience is completely silent as the song dissolves to just some sparse, light snare hits and there is a moment of silence before the audience starts aplauding. This one dude, who was obviously feeling it, just blurts out "far out" very enthusiastically in the silence...I crack up everytime I hear it

that's pretty awesome.

I have a tape of a Swans gig from the late 80s I think. Anyway Gira is playing something, I forget which song it is but it's just him with an acoustic guitar, and the crowd is talking amongst themselves very loudly. In the middle of the song he stops and yells "SHUT THE FUCK UP, I'M TRYING TO SING! SHUT UP!!!"

it kinda works.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I really dig these kuts - don't know why, but just the sound of people in the background gives it that extra something... I sampled some Tower of Power track that had that - straight butta...