KLF - Yay or Nay?

d_wordd_word 666 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
WHO KILLED THE J.A.M.S?TrancentralJustified and Ancient ft. Tammy WynetteTired-ass beats and the raps are AWFUL. But they're story is at least interesting - writing a book on making a number one pop single and then doing it, something about nearly throwin goat blood at the Brit Pop awards, and burning a million pounds of money.LINK Plus Justified and Ancient used to do nice at 3 am or so. "Mine's a 99."

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Do I need a decoder ring to translate all that?

S*m** needs this thread in his life.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    K L FFFFFFFF, U-Huh... (U-Huh)... Uh-Huh... (U-Huh).

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    They did plenty of ambient stuff that's good for mushroom comedowns.

Documentary they did was

The music that charted was mostly a joke, although I thought it was hot at the time.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Pop Stars Burn One Million Pounds
    Are they mad? Why did they do it? Was it some kind of strange political statement?
    Or just a hoax? On 23rd August 1994, on the Isle of Jura in Scotland, Bill Drummond
    and Jimmy Cauty of the KLF, which stands for Kopyright Liberation Front, burned one
    million pounds of their own money in front of an audience. Most people did not believe
    that the band had burned the money.
    The KLF were famous for their publicity stunts as they had previously done a lot of
    strange things to attract media attention. The KLF had been famous since the late
    1980s and were making a lot of money ??? they were the best-selling British pop group
    in the world. They could do no wrong: everything they touched turned to gold.
    However, in 1992 they gave a very unpleasant performance at the annual Brit Awards
    ??? the most important pop music awards in Britain. After their performance, they
    announced to a shocked audience: ???The KLF have left the music business.??? Although
    they got the award for best group, they dissolved themselves and left a freshly killed
    sheep at the entrance of the post-awards party.
    The original plan was to chop up the sheep and throw it into the audience. They had
    got the sheep ready, but the backing band they used for the performance were
    vegetarians who did not want to be part of such a demonstration.
    Drummond tells me his first wish for the 1992 Brit Awards was to cut off his hand and
    throw it into the audience. ???In my head, I was chopping off my own hand and throwing
    it into the crowds of spectators, claiming the music business for myself.???
    I asked him if he really thought about doing this and Drummond replied: ???Yes, I had
    been thinking about chopping off my hand, but it???s hard. Jimmy persuaded me that I
    didn???t have to. The sheep took the place of my hand.???

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Documentary they did was

Never knew about it. Will find it!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    <marquee>K L FFFFFFFF, U-Huh... (U-Huh)... Uh-Huh... (U-Huh). </marquee>

thank you

• Spent many a happy hour,coming down,listening to

Everything else was pretty though.

• I'm a big fan of their "Chill Out" album, and the "1987" album by the JAMMs is funny if only because it's a big middle finger to those who hate sampling. Overall though I kind of view the KLF like I do Negativland...guys who do things conceptually that I think are interesting, but the concept is more interesting than the resulting product.

• I remember talking to some record company guy,cant recall which company,I think they had Space signed to them,who reckond the rapper from the KLF was the best rapper in England.

• Not into their music at all, find it in the extreme, but pretty much all the other things they become involved with art/books/events etc are & .
    I recommend "Bad Wisdom" by Bill Drummond(KLF) & Mark Manning(Zodiac Mindwarp), attended a reading they did to promote this
    Also "45" by Bill Drummond.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Justified Ancients Of Mumu
    a/k/a
    The Jams
    a/k/a
    The Timelords
    a/k/a
    Kopyright Liberation Front
    b/k/a
    The KLF

They influenced some of my stuff, especially with the mystique and importance of "3am Eternal". In fact, I'll be celebrating today at Sample City over at Showbiz Pizza Place.

They might be "tired ass beats", but they were one group who flaunted some serious samples before anyone cared.

The original 1987... What The Fuck Is Going On[/b] album, the one they allegedly bought all the copies and burned, is a sample-based classic. Their philosophy: don't take five, take what you want.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well back it up even further and Bill Drummand already had alot of laurels to rest on by before even starting the KLF / JAMMS

Big In Japan

started Zoo records and put out key early liverpool punk groups... signed managed the Teardrop Explodes and Echo And The Bunnymen. His partner at Zoo Dave Balfe formed food records and discovered / signed Blur.

I just copped the 3am eternal 12" a few weeks back.. obviously the A side is a cheesy guilty pleasure but fuck man the B-side is on some serious blazing downtempo goodness.

the manual is pure genius. I got a copy in this crazy hippy used cd stroe in southern quebec about 8 years ago... MASTERPEACE

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    THE MANUAL (HOW TO HAVE A NUMBER ONE THE EASY WAY) [/b]

http://www.tomrobinson.com/work/klf.htm

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    well back it up even further and Bill Drummand already had alot of laurels to rest on by before even starting the KLF / JAMMS

i used to drink at the pub bill drummond co-owned in london, the foundry... the bartender at the time, gimpo, is the man who filmed the million pounds being burned! great place, i met bill drummond a few times ( at the time i didn't know he was, just thought he was a silent partner in the pub) he was always super nice... his writing is great, he wrote an interesting book about going to Calcutta after getting divorced to go see the shrine of Kali...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    THE MANUAL (HOW TO HAVE A NUMBER ONE THE EASY WAY) [/b]

http://www.tomrobinson.com/work/klf.htm

Thank you, bookmarked for later reading. I acknowledge their importance as conceptual rebels, but their late 80s hits always got on my nerves.

• klf are
    cop that book!
    peace, stein. . .
    p.s. i followed the books guidelines and only reached no.71 on the u.k. pop chart?