Should I return or contest? RR

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So I bought this LP from a European record store and had every reason to think it was an OG copy of "Prophets of Soul" for $40. Not a bad price. I get it and it's clearly a reissue. Obvious as day. First I do is email them, note that "this is a reissue. I'd like to make a return."Second thing, I call up my credit card company and put the charge in contention, just in case. Nothing's been processed yet (i.e. I haven't submitted the paperwork to make this an official contestation but the charge is being held).The record store emails me back and offers me a refund if I return the record. The problem is that this will cost me another $10 in shipping, on top of the $10 I paid for to begin with. Is spending $20 worth getting $40 back for?Or should I just contest this on the grounds of false representation through my credit card and get everything back, including the original $10 in shipping cost? On one hand, it's cool that they're willing to take a return but it's kind of wack they're trying to sell bootlegs for $40. Yeah, I know, let the buyer beware and all that but at leasts, in this case, I have some options.What's the Proper Dude thing to do?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I say fuck 'em. Do the credit card thing if that'll work.
    The shipping bit in these types of situations is always a killer, particularly if you are getting down to $40 and under items, where the cost of the item is closer to the cost of simply getting it sent to you.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

if they actually said it was an og, then i would contest the charge, either that or ask them to reimburse your shipping cost to ship it back, and if they refuse, then contest the charge.

but if they never said it was an og, and you just guessed it was from the price, then it's on you. in that case, it's cool of them to take the return, but sucks you gotta pay for shipping.

• if they actually said it was an og, then i would contest the charge, either that or ask them to reimburse your shipping cost to ship it back, and if they refuse, then contest the charge.

but if they never said it was an og, and you just guessed it was from the price, then it's on you. in that case, it's cool of them to take the return, but sucks you gotta pay for shipping.
    cosign

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    why not ask them for a credit, and buy a couple more things and right it that way.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I hear you but I think that any responsible record seller would list an item as a reissue or original, no? To me, it's pretty clear, they thought it was an OG. I think it was an honest mistake but there was no way for me to infer that from their description which said "VG+/VG+". I'll try some of the other suggestions though.

if they actually said it was an og, then i would contest the charge, either that or ask them to reimburse your shipping cost to ship it back, and if they refuse, then contest the charge.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Nah, bullschitt--the default assumption is always that the record is an OG. In other words, that it actually is what it is being advertised as and not a replica of same. Any seller that knowingly fails to specify that a record is a reissue is dead wrong.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Nah, bullschitt--the default assumption is always that the record is an OG. In other words, that it actually is what it is being advertised as and not a replica of same. Any seller that knowingly fails to specify that a record is a reissue is dead wrong.

i agree with you that it's bullshit when a seller doesn't specify that a record is a reissue when it is, but it happens all the time. sometimes it's an honest mistake, and sometimes people are trying to make the buyer over. i always ask to be safe, though. cause if you don't, the seller can say you made an assumption and they never said this or that, and legally they'd be right.

but in this case it sounds like it's an honest seller who just screwed up, and it seems like they thought it was an og. so yeah, see if they'll pay for you to send it back, and tell them that you shouldn't lose $20 for their mistake in this case.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, I'm not saying they were intentionally trying to mislead me here but imagine going into an art gallery and buying a painting...only to discover later it's a very good forgery. Maybe the gallery didn't know, but it's still their responsibility ultimately.