What's Are the Chances Old Ma' Has Some Heat?

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm picking five crates of free records from a co-worker this weekend. She just wants them out of her hair, as they are leftovers from her mother-in-law passing away, whom I was told was a "big collector" (whatever that means to her).I'm not expecting much, as my coworker is around 40 to 50-ish, which probably puts her Mother-in-law around 70-80. Plus they already had a sale, which people simply picked over the lot.I'm sure it's heatless, but with no money (new job, apartment), nothing to do on Saturday (lady's working) it's pretty much the best way to kill an afternoon.The way i see it, having one good record out of roughly 360, the chances are better than okay. But, you know, I'm still praying to god she was some sort of local DJ from the south!

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    If the records are free, sell the crap as lots on eBay.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Record stores will still take in things they perceive have some sort of value... like crappy old Sinatra records, for instance.

Even if they will only give you 50 cents each, you'd be doing well if you have a few crates of them. Trade them in for a couple good records. Can't complain, right?

If anything else, use them as shipping material. That's how edub wound up with his much-coveted Rhinestone Cowboy album.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Record stores will still take in things they perceive have some sort of value... like crappy old Sinatra records, for instance.

Even if they will only give you 50 cents each, you'd be doing well if you have a few crates of them. Trade them in for a couple good records. Can't complain, right?

If anything else, use them as shipping material. That's how edub wound up with his much-coveted Rhinestone Cowboy album.

good advice. I'm constantly amazed by how much credit I get for the crap that I accumulate. Most any shop will give you about 100 credit for a uhaul sized box of garbage, so long as it's clean & there are a few OK things (IE: $5 records) scatterd in.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Or the Rhinestone[/b] soundtrack.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    What's the over/under that the best record is a Trini Lopez live affair?

• 5 crates 'Keyword = (free)', i say go for gold!!. , you do realise that,i for one shall await the obligitory 'finds' thread on this. .

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I got a boatload of free records from a coworker earlier this year...of course it was almost all crap but amongst the crap was a mint copy of Space Ritual!!! So what the hell, even people this mostly bland, crappy taste in music get it right occasionally.

• good advice. I'm constantly amazed by how much credit I get for the crap that I accumulate. Most any shop will give you about 100 credit for a uhaul sized box of garbage, so long as it's clean & there are a few OK things (IE: $5 records) scatterd in.

Please to post some US stores accepting oversea crates!

• Coworker gave me some free records a few years ago and while 95% of it was garbage there was a copy of the Port Authority S/T LP and mint Bobby Timmons "the Soul Man" lp in there. NEVER turn away free records.