Online Cars?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So it's come down to it, I might have to just replace the ride... anyone copped a car online? I am used to the lot (never see me at the auction)Ebay, yahoo, craigslist? what it do?

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    So it's come down to it, I might have to just replace the ride... anyone copped a car online? I am used to the lot (never see me at the auction)

Ebay, yahoo, craigslist? what it do?

I' ve never done the online purchase thing, but I've found that asking around through friends is a good place to start. If there's a personal connection involved in the sale you're a lot less likely to be taken advantage of. Also, if there's a mechanic/auto shop in town that you have a good history with, it would be asking them. The car I'm currently driving (92 Honda Accord, no-) was recommended to me by a local mechanic, and it this thing has put in work for what I paid. Just a thought. Good luck finding a ride, dude, it can be stressful.

Also, carfax.com is a good way to check up on the history of cars you're interested in. All you need is the VIN number.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    my friend rotates whips pretty regularly and he always does www.cars.com + www.carfax.com

• So it's come down to it, I might have to just replace the ride... anyone copped a car online? I am used to the lot (never see me at the auction)

Ebay, yahoo, craigslist? what it do?

I work at a law firm and have heard about many scams involving car sales online.
    Watch your back...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I work at a law firm and have heard about many scams involving car sales online.
    Watch your back...

How about regular car auctions? I am wanting to get a diesel car, and maybe down the line make my own biodiesel or at least find tanks in the Pacific Northwest that supply it.

I ask because I've seen ads for car auctions for years, and I know of two different types. One can have anyone buy a car, including dealers, but dealers will usually have more money to play with, thus the individual may find it hard to get a quality car. The other I know of is strictly "no dealers", so someone can have the opportunity to get a good/decent car for cheap.

There are a number of car auctions like this in the Seattle/Tacoma area, which for me would be a 200 mile drive but I would like to pay a visit to see if it's to my liking.

I guess my question is, with these regular, non-online, car auctions, are there certain things an auctioneer should have to know that it's legit, such as certification, etc.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you looking for a new or used car? i just bought a new car and used edmunds.com/autotrader.com You can search for used & new around your area. also, i was able to get quotes from the dealers around my way and negotiated over the phone instead of in person which save alot of time.

• I work at a law firm and have heard about many scams involving car sales online.
    Watch your back...

How about regular car auctions? I am wanting to get a diesel car, and maybe down the line make my own biodiesel or at least find tanks in the Pacific Northwest that supply it.

I ask because I've seen ads for car auctions for years, and I know of two different types. One can have anyone buy a car, including dealers, but dealers will usually have more money to play with, thus the individual may find it hard to get a quality car. The other I know of is strictly "no dealers", so someone can have the opportunity to get a good/decent car for cheap.

There are a number of car auctions like this in the Seattle/Tacoma area, which for me would be a 200 mile drive but I would like to pay a visit to see if it's to my liking.

I guess my question is, with these regular, non-online, car auctions, are there certain things an auctioneer should have to know that it's legit, such as certification, etc.

From what I hear you can get good deals, but its kind of a crap shoot.