Help me stop a bootlegging scumbag

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Members of the soulstrut massive, your help is needed once again. I'm trying to help prevent the distribution of a bootleg of an album by an artist I made friends with recently. The boot is not in stores yet and there's still time to call and warn the stores that they're dealing with stolen goods, and they definitely will deal with this boot if no one tells them because it's a big title and it's gonna look authentic. All I need from you is help making a list of all the big stores and distributors of new psych reissues, the places that carry stuff from companies like Shadoks, Radioactive, Akarma...Here's my list so far LAAmoebaAronsSFAquariusAmoebaNYCOther MusicKimsBostonTwisted VillageForced ExposureI know there gotta be big spots in Chicago, Seattle, DC, Austin, Dallas, everywhere else, and of course all the international joints...At the moment I can't tell you who the artist is because there's an outside chance that by applying all this pressure the guilty party will step down and stop their stealing. And yo, if someone wants to clown on this request, fuck you up front; this is real and I'm trying to help a destitute musician. If you think this sounds sketchy be aware that I am 100% above ground (nothingexceptional.com) and those who know me and my dealings with artists know my track record is clean, so keep it to yourself. I hate having to write this paragraph but there are some idle-ass haters on this site who just love to get all suspicious & dramatic whenever someone dares ask for something like this.To the rest, thank you.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Seattle-

Easy St Records
    Sonic Boom
    Wall of Sound

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Add Rasputin's to that SF list.

SG

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    as far as stores in austin

waterloo (6th st and lamar)
    end of an ear (south first)

only stores in town ive seen with akarma wax

• only austin store would be Antonne's... maybe waterloo.

• woah... simultaneous post... yeah, maybe end of an ear too

• Is Antonne's the same as Waterloo?

Thank you everybody, keep em coming!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Cincinnati-

Shake It!
    Everybody's

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    San Diego:

Record City
    Lou's
    Off the Record

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    St. Paul/MPLS

-Hymie's

-Cheapo (some carry new stuff too)

-Let It Be

Madison WI

-Mad City Music Exchange

-Pasture Records

-Strickly Dics

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    check your pm

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Help me stop a bootlegging scumbag[/b]

Your headline is not spectacular.

• Help me stop a bootlegging scumbag[/b]

Your headline is not spectacular.

Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Portland[/b]:
    Jackpot Records
    2nd Avenue Records
    Reverb Records
    Mississippi Music

Those are the only ones I can think of offhand that might carry reissues by those labels.

• East Bay: Amoeba, Rasputins, Mod Lang, Saturn Records

• Sadly, Let It Be records is closed in MPLS...or did they move now?

Treehouse Records in MPLS is big on the psych reissues.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

At the moment I can't tell you who the artist is because there's an outside chance that by applying all this pressure the guilty party will step down and stop their stealing.

Isn't that what you want?

• I think the hostility in the initial post is unwarranted, people might be more willing to help in it's absence. IMO.

And yo, if someone wants to clown on this request, fuck you up front; this is real and I'm trying to help a destitute musician. If you think this sounds sketchy be aware that I am 100% above ground (nothingexceptional.com) and those who know me and my dealings with artists know my track record is clean, so keep it to yourself. I hate having to write this paragraph but there are some idle-ass haters on this site who just love to get all suspicious & dramatic whenever someone dares ask for something like this.

I think you all included all the possible SF stores, although you could check Aquarius records on Valencia (they are pretty small tho)

• At the moment I can't tell you who the artist is because there's an outside chance that by applying all this pressure the guilty party will step down and stop their stealing.

Isn't that what you want?

Yes, I want them to stop stealing. Once you go public and attack someone by calling all the stores buying their bootlegs, you can be certain that they will not work with you. Right now the idea is arm ourselves with this info so that we are ready to go into battle the moment we get a clear word that the guy is blowing us off. But for now it would be unwise to start calling dude out.

• Oh yeah, the two Streetlight Records in SF probably don't have them, but again...worth a check.

• I think the hostility in the intial post is unwarranted, people might be more willing to help in it's absence.

The "hostility" in the inital post is completely warranted -- it comes from the experience of making similar requests for help in the past & being ridiculed and insulted by certain jr. detectives of soulstrut who enjoy decrying shit they don't really understand.

And people are helping quite a lot so far in spite of my post.

• ok dude.

• And forgive my passion on the subject, but stealing from the person in question is OBSCENE.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You're quite hostile, dude. Have your people been persecuted?

• Yes, my friend was persecuted when they bootlegged his shit.

I mean, I tell haters to stay out of it and you chime in to call me hostile? That's ironic, dude.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No, just saying about your hostility in general... pretty deep.

• OK, you asked for it.

I'm not the one who had a very public mental breakdown because the Eagles lost a football game, nor did I ever go berzerk because I felt that not enough people were looking at my sister's pictures.

And there's a big difference between your blind rage and my righteous anger (which you seem to be overestimating).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Uh, how did this thread spiral into personal shit flinging?

This is about to get superugly.

OK, you asked for it.

I'm not the one who had a very public mental breakdown because the Eagles lost a football game, nor did I ever go berzerk because I felt that not enough people were looking at my sister's pictures.

And there's a big difference between your blind rage and my righteous anger (which you seem to be overestimating).

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    is there someone whos going to put out this musicians legitamitely? is that what youre doing?

otherwise, cant dudes who are putting this shit out throw back some cash dudes way? or are they just unreasonable scumbags?

im just curious as to if this dudes going to get help in the end from you or if youre just trying to block bootleggers from making a buck for your homie?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No, there's a bit of a difference. Sorry if this seems to that I am picking on you. I truly don't mean to be.

It's just that Josh brought up what seemed to be a serious point in the antagonism in the initial post, that what seemed to be borderline hostile and - because of the particular tone - might cause people to shy away from what I would consider a valiant cause. I know that it did for me, and as someone who has material that is bootlegged I am down for your efforts.

As for all of this:

OK, you asked for it.

You obviously don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The so called "mental breakdown" wasn't a breakdown at all. It was an internet argument between 2 people on the internet. It ultimately was not about a football game. It ultimately was between 2 people. You are neither one of them. Please to shut your pie hole.

As for my sister's thread, bear in mind that YOU came at ME sideways in that thread, hence me making that remark earlier regarding "headlines." In jest, of course. And so once again. Pie hole. Shutteded.

[color:white]
    YOU'RE QUITE HOSTILE. I GOT A RIGHT TO BE HOSTILE, MAN. MY PEOPLE BEEN PERSECUTED.
    [/color]
    Best of luck in your "endeavors."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Uh, how did this thread spiral into personal shit flinging?

This is about to get superugly.

OK, you asked for it.

I am not going to allow this to spiral out of control, Oliver.