early, and more obscure SUSSEX releases

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
what are some of these like? : SXBS 7000 - Cold Fact - Rodriguez [1971] SXBS 7001 - Light of Your Shadow - Mutzie [1971]SXBS 7002 - Gypsy Queen - Priscilla [1970]SXBS 7005 - 5-10-15-20-25-30 Years of Love - Presidents [1971]SXBS 7008 - Wadsworth Mansion - Wadsworth Mansion [1972] SXBS 7012 - Coming from Reality - Sixto Rodriguez [1972] SXBS 7016 - Amish - Amish [1972]SXBS 7017 - Nice to Be with You - Gallery [1972]

Comments

• mutzie- braek
    presidents-funky
    wadworth mansion-braek
    amish- killer psych funk produced by dennis coffey and theodore the bomb.
    peace, stein. . .

• einstein, good look. speaking of sussex, how fucking great is this rekkid?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Gallery is HORRIBLE. avoid!

• bobo-GOOD
    priscilla-wack
    gallery-wack
    rodriguez-aint heard those.
    peace, stein. . .

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Rodriguez has some Coffey involvement. He was supposed to perform at the Black Merda/Fugi/Cody Black show, but no dice. Funky.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    mutzie- braek

and some of the fucking HARDEST sounds on another break later with a horrible pattern that can be chopped into basically a harder-sounding synthetic substitution break.

do you know what im talking about? i forgot about it till a few months ago and the sounds blew my mind.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    rodriguez-aint heard those.

both rodriguez's are great. good songwriter- a bit dylan-ish with his vocals at times but i love that stuff. local detroit artist- folk/rock but with some psych-ish twists at times. coffey production, yes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Rodriguez isn't funky but I really like that album...very soulful rock tunes, definitely with a Dylan-esque quality as someone else noted. "Sugar Man" is the shit.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    what are some of these like? :
    SXBS 7000 - Cold Fact - Rodriguez [1971]

1965-era Bob Dylan through a Latin filter. Classic stuff. Scorpio, or somebody, recently re-pressed this on vinyl.

SXBS 7002 - Gypsy Queen - Priscilla [1970]

Haven't heard it, but I can tell you that this gorgeous Memphis hippie chick was married to Booker T. (of "& the MG's" fame) at the time.

SXBS 7005 - 5-10-15-20-25-30 Years of Love - Presidents [1971]

Really good harmony group soul.

SXBS 7008 - Wadsworth Mansion - Wadsworth Mansion

Terrible rock album. Their hit was "Sweet Mary" and was actually really good. Too bad they rerecorded it for the album; the new version is sluggish as all hell. Get the 45, if you can deal with 1970-style rock music.

SXBS 7017 - Nice to Be with You - Gallery

Bland soft-rock group who were famous for about five minutes in the early 70's. The title track was one of their hits.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Honestly, I think the Colf Fact Rodriguez is horrible. I don't like it at all. Not even close to Dylanesque.