Favorite NEW AGE records

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Since a couple titles were slipping into that other thread, I wanna represent for new age as the term over "ambient" or "minimalist" cause I find those terms a little pretentious whereas proudly calling something "new age" is like reclaiming an term of insult like "queer." Also I have no space in my collection for Stockhausen, Charlemain Palestine, most Pierre Henry, or any of that other "experimental" noise.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Music of Cheops is awesome! Paul Horn wishes he were so gritty!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

• Also I have no space in my collection for Stockhausen, Charlemain Palestine, most Pierre Henry, or any of that other "experimental" noise.

Also I have no space in my collection for Stockhausen, Charlemain Palestine, most Pierre Henry, or any of that other "experimental" noise.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    BD: please help me understand what i good new age and what is bad. i see so many records like this but even at $1-5 a piece im nervous to take chances. are there any examples of stuff i should be on the lookout for? all finds will be immediately brought to your attention.

thanks!

• I enjoy me some Georgia Kelly records.

help me understand what i good new age and what is bad.

And you call yourself a pothead.

• This is actually a record from a band called the New Age. 1979 Atlanta private press LP from my high school classmate Larry Oliver (I actually helped him set up the photo on the back sleeve). Goes for $$$ now. Very ELP/YES/proggy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I enjoy me some Georgia Kelly records.
    yeah, i love that harp shiz too... ever hear this?

• Jinx: First and foremost the cover gives it away... If it's matte instead of glossy, handwritten notes, black and white, you know the deal, just get it and send to me... Amazingly I used to pass up good looking records like this because they were "new age," while I would have clearly gotten them if it looked like there was a bunch of noise on them because you know how much people will pay for the sound of spastics trapped in a drum practice room...

Analog synth, anything purporting to heal, promote meditation and/or relaxation. Digital delay units are a real wild card but Kobialka kills it with those things and I've actually gone into trances cause of those things. Motifs are clouds, crystals, beaches, trails in the woods, spirals, geometric patterns, you know, that kind of shit. Northern Cali is the world HQ for this genre.

The dark side is pretty much anything with a digital synth, anything with too many third world instruments played by white guys and recorded digitally, anything I've heard on Windham Hill, and most of the Japanese stuff (they just can't chill like we do in California).

This is my favorite of recent times:

Which reminds me of the #1 positive indicator on a new age cover:

BEARDS

• Especially on women.

Why is it you so prefer the term "new age" to Minimalist, spacey, etc.? I've been into this stuff for a long time & I still kinda cringe at the term new age. I pretty much still use it to apply to the bad stuff - which I pretty much agree with your description of.

• Northern Cali is the world HQ for this genre.

I see a lot of this shit in the mountains of massachusetts as well. A lot of it homegrown, although this is kind of veering into folk/lesbian stuff

• I think there's an unspoken irony to the appreciation. It's not like being really into it like a Marin county hot tubber would be. More like a breather between the Annette Peacock and

• Yeah, New England also has its share of this stuff, and I need it.

I just like the term new age because it makes people cringe. New age is more punk rock than punk rock. When some non-collectro is admiring my shit I love to say, "yeah, mostly I'm into new age these days" and watch them quietly get confused / uncomfortable.

Northern Cali is the world HQ for this genre.

I see a lot of this shit in the mountains of massachusetts as well. A lot of it homegrown, although this is kind of veering into folk/lesbian stuff

It seems like the big "scenes" were in wooded areas a short trip from more urban hippy epicenters, no?

"the city was harshing my mellow, man..."

• There's nothing ironic about smoking a joint and lying in bed listening to Kupka's Crystals backed by a thunderstorm off in the distance though.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    how about these? do you know these? they have weird talking or instruments.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Master Wilburn Burhette's- psychic meditation music
    Craig Kupka- crystals and clouds
    Peter Davison- music on the way
    J.D. Emanuelle- rain forest music and wizards
    Inter-dimensional music through Iasos
    Laura Allan- reflections
    Georgia Kelly- seapeace and tarashanti

I think there's an unspoken irony to the appreciation. It's not like being really into it like a Marin county hot tubber would be.

dude! I just got a private press Marin County hot-tubber book!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    That Pythagoron is all synths but not very new age I think... or is it? I forget.

how about these? do you know these? they have weird talking or instruments.

Those are cool. That Guru Gita in the middle is more like a folkways record though. the two on the left are repped on the AP new age mix.

• JORDAN DE LA SIERRA

Song of the Rose < 09:34->36:38>

: GYMNOSPHERE: SONG OF THE ROSE

• how about these? do you know these? they have weird talking or instruments.

1. Excellent, must have
    2. Don't know what this is, good?
    3. Not really feeling it.
    4. Kinda boring, AP loves it though
    5. ???
    6. Wasn't feeling it, isn't there vocals on this?

Mole's list is solid, Iasos is an easy bay area LP to find with intense "bubble sounds."

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Master Wilburn Burhette's- psychic meditation music
    Craig Kupka- crystals and clouds
    Peter Davison- music on the way
    J.D. Emanuelle- rain forest music and wizards
    Inter-dimensional music through Iasos
    Laura Allan- reflections
    Georgia Kelly- seapeace and tarashanti

Solid. I have a few more to add when I get home, I think.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Lorian- "winds of birth" lp looks cool, but it sucks imo.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I see Georgia Kelly stuff all the time, would this be the 'dollarbincommon' of the genre?

I see Georgia Kelly stuff all the time, would this be the 'dollarbincommon' of the genre?

yeah