NFL WEEK 6

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Observations from this weekend's games thus far-The Redskins won their first 3 games, lost their last two. I am FAR more impressed with them after the losses than I was after the wins. Maybe they don't totally suck after all.The NFC is the best division in football, including any AFC divisions you want to name.If they didn't already, Pittsburgh fans are REALLY appreciating Big Ben right now.The New Orleans Saints are the Schleprocks of the NFL. There is a black cloud hovering over this team right now like you wouldn't believe.Detroit ain't far behind them in the bad luck department (although most of their bad luck is their own fault, especially that damn QB).The Minnesota Vikings just STINK. LaDanian Tomlinson is the best player in the NFL, bar none. He's gonna be included with the greatest of all time when his career is done.Edpowers is gonna owe me $100 by the time this season is over. In fact, I think it could be clinched with a few games to spare. So far this has been a GREAT football weekend, including those college games on Saturday. Ya gotta love it.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Not a good week for my teams: Nittany Lions and Stillers, both losing in last second nail biters.

• The Minnesota Vikings just STINK.

but are far and away the most exciting to follow!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Not a good week for my teams: Nittany Lions and Stillers, both losing in last second nail biters.

Yeah, sorry about that. Seriously though, that was probably the most exciting 4th quarter of college football I've EVAR seen.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    COT DAMN the Pats look like SHIT against Denver right now.
    Don't know how much more of this I can watch. 21-3 and the 1st half ain't over yet.

• It's been many, many, MANY years since I could say this, but...how 'bout those Bengals?? Really, it's good to see them at least respectable. It's been rough being a Bengals fan for the last decade or so. I guess next week against the Steelers will be a real test of just how good they might be. Steelers will have Big Ben back then too presumably so hopefully it's a good matchup.

I mean, damn, I'm a Packers fan too and this is definitely not the year to be a Packers fan...though as piss-poor as the NFC North is the Pack could actually end up winning their division just by playing .500 ball. I fear that game against the New Orleans Aint's was an anomaly and not a regular occurrence though.

And how about Parcells and the Cowboys? I'm definitely not a Dallas fan at all but they're winning...and Drew Bledsoe is the hottest QB going right now?? Freaky.

And if we're discussing teams that suck... Yeah, the Vikings suck, and we know the Saints are horrible, but how can we talk about teams that suck and not mention the Houston Texans? If the Seahawks don't totally destroy the Texans tonight I'll be surprised. It's amazing how a team that just a year or two ago looked like it was a solid young team on the way up has now become a train wreck. David Carr's trying to take some heat off of Joey Harrington as the young QB just not getting it done, I guess.

And yeah, how about LaDainian Tomlinson. Good lord. It's definitely good having him on my fantasy team, but that TD pass he threw (?!?) today doesn't count in fantasy. Tomlinson has to be far and away the most valuable player in the league for his threat as both a runner and a receiver (and I guess a passer?).

• The NFC is the best division in football, including any AFC divisions you want to name.

Yeah, the NFC East in particular. I think this caught MOST people by surprise but as I said after week 1 the Eagles are going to have a struggle on their hands this year......

I didn't expect the Pats to lose.....Carolina has disappointed me even though their record is 4-2

Next up Seattle

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yet more observations after the late games have concluded:

I called Denver a fraud last week, but I may have to eat my words. After getting stunned in the opener by Miami, the Broncos have done nothing but win- beating some of the tougher teams in the NFL (Jacksonville, Kansas City, New England, Washington and San Diego) in the process. I still expect Jake Plummer to kill them at some point, but they way they're looking right now it might not be until the playoffs.

New England is not the same New England, that's for sure. They've just lost too many key people to be the same team that won those Super Bowls. With all the competition in the AFC they are gonna struggle just to make the playoffs.

San Diego is gonna struggle to make the postseason, too. They're definitely one of the best teams in the league, but they already have 3 losses and a lot more extremely tough games coming up on their schedule.

Bet on Jacksonville to make it for sure... I think that's almost a lock. 4-2 after six games and a real creampuff schedule the rest of the way. If they're really as good as the've looked so far this season, they may only lose 1 or 2 more games the rest of the way.

Carson Palmer is one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

I think there is a shift in power going on this season... the teams who've been on top for awhile are getting ready to slide and new teams are about to rise up and take their place. It's still early so you never know for sure, but I think teams like Cincy, Dallas and few others are definitely for real.

Running backs: Shaun Alexander is so underrated it's not even funny. He's another Curtis Martin... making history every time he steps on the field, and not many people are even paying any attention. Thomas Jones is the man in Chicago... they wasted a pick on Cedric Benson if you ask me. Willis McGahee is a beast. I think Jamal Lewis might be shot. The Broncos can make anybody look like Jim Brown. Where's Ricky Williams?

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    I called Denver a fraud last week, but I may have to eat my words. After getting stunned in the opener by Miami, the Broncos have done nothing but win- beating some of the tougher teams in the NFL (Jacksonville, Kansas City, New England, Washington and San Diego) in the process. I still expect Jake Plummer to kill them at some point, but they way they're looking right now it might not be until the playoffs.

denver's only chance is if they get home field throughout the playoffs.. which i dont think will happen. they always start off strong and end up losing 4 or 5 games at the end of the season. being a broncos fan i've become used to this..

that hit al wilson had towards the end of the game today was

the Eagles are going to have a struggle on their hands this year......

Pains me to say it, but I think you are right. I just want them to split their next two games, San Diego at home and at Denver the following week. That's gonna be HARD. But if they can at least do that, I will regain my confidence in the Eagles' chances to get back to the bowl. I think this is it, though... if they can't get it done this year I think their run is gonna be over. Too many teams rising up in the NFC, and they all are playing the RIGHT way... strong D, ability to pass AND run on offense. I can't see a team that passes on every down winning a championship, it just goes against all good football philosophy.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

New England is not the same New England, that's for sure. They've just lost too many key people to be the same team that won those Super Bowls. With all the competition in the AFC they are gonna struggle just to make the playoffs.

I suspect that this season will demonstrate that despite Belichik's fabled coaching methodology, you still need talented personnel to carry out your instructions - having skilled players has and will always make a difference...

Carson Palmer is one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

Cincinnati did a good job in bringing him along slowly - you can see the difficulties that Detroit and Houston are experiencing by having thrown their QBs into the fray during their rookie season in the league...

Running backs: Shaun Alexander is so underrated it's not even funny. He's another Curtis Martin... making history every time he steps on the field, and not many people are even paying any attention. Thomas Jones is the man in Chicago... they wasted a pick on Cedric Benson if you ask me. Willis McGahee is a beast.

Alexander was a stud back during his collegiate days @ Alabama - Jones as well @ UVA... As for McGahee, I can understand why a lot of GMs balked after seeing his injury against Ohio State, but he was running like a bull in a china shop for the 'Canes up to that point and although there was an inherent risk, for him to be the 23rd pick of the 1st round in his draft year was mad It was a no-brainer for the Bills to relegate Henry to the bench in favor of McGahee...

As for McGahee, I can understand why a lot of GMs balked after seeing his injury against Ohio State, but he was running like a bull in a china shop for the 'Canes up to that point and although there was an inherent risk, for him to be the 23rd pick of the 1st round in his draft year was mad It was a no-brainer for the Bills to relegate Henry to the bench in favor of McGahee...

Well, that injury he got looked REALLY bad... I never saw anything like that, the way his knee got smashed backwards on that play. I was worried that dude would never walk right again, let alone play football at a high level! So I understand him dropping so low in the draft, and really it seemed like a pretty foolish pick for Buffalo since they had Henry and needed to fill a lot of other spots more than they needed a running back. But now it's easy to see they did the right thing... that dude McGahee is a difference maker. I feel bad for Henry because he had some damn good 1,500 yard years for the Bills and now he's M.I.A. in Tennessee. But hell yeah, McGahee over him is indeed a no brainer.

Dag, I'm watching this Seattle-Houston game right now, Alexander is KILLING the Texans. 141 yards, 4 tds just into the 4th qtr. Whoa.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Well, that injury he got looked REALLY bad... I never saw anything like that, the way his knee got smashed backwards on that play. I was worried that dude would never walk right again, let alone play football at a high level! So I understand him dropping so low in the draft, and really it seemed like a pretty foolish pick for Buffalo since they had Henry and needed to fill a lot of other spots more than they needed a running back. But now it's easy to see they did the right thing... that dude McGahee is a difference maker. I feel bad for Henry because he had some damn good 1,500 yard years for the Bills and now he's M.I.A. in Tennessee. But hell yeah, McGahee over him is indeed a no brainer.

Dag, I'm watching this Seattle-Houston game right now, Alexander is KILLING the Texans. 141 yards, 4 tds just into the 4th qtr. Whoa.

Phill -

I feel you on the injury - given Robert Edwards's diminished abilities since suffering his in Hawaii, he hasn't been the same and now plies his trade in the CFL; in the case of McGahee though, he had started rehabbing before the draft and pretty sure that the Bills had done their due diligence in casing out his potential post-injury - he would've gone 1 if not injured - Buffalo was in the throes pretty much of a half-assed/schizophrenic rebuilding/contending enterprise @ the time so picking up McGahee looked to be part of the former strategy... Not to bash Henry, but McGahee was a more electric back even @ the college level (Henry left U Tennessee as the all-time leading rusher for the Vols) and the prospect of having him on the squad proved to be too tempting... Henry is all heart - it's just that McGahee matches that desire and his skill set is better than Henry's...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    phil
    a lot of good games this weekend.
    for some reason the skins have an ability to give games away
    our offense was on point, our defense was holding priest to 15 yards by the 3rd quarter
    we got called for some stupid penalties... fumbled the ball a couple of times. you cant win like that. that fumble for a td hurt badly.
    we domintated on offense though. brunell i think had 330 yards and 3 td's if im not mistaken. portis didnt really run all that well. i think that ankle is bothering him. santana is ballin. that last second tip made me scream in sheer agony at the sports bar
    we just need to be a bit more disciplined.
    aight enough of that

cowboys game was aight. didnt expect such a low scoring game. a few big plays. huge catch by keyshawn doin the lean back. cortez is a bum

harrington has sparks of brilliance and then those fade into disappointment. i like the lions. a lot. id like to see them win more games. maybe a new qb? i do like joey harrington though

good to see pats lose.

bengals lookin real good right now. props to palmer and big ups to chad j. that nigga is the man.

jags in the same boat. they joined the 4-2 club.

phil we gonna be playin yall soon.
    aight!

peace

• NFC North

Chicago 2-3
    Detroit 2-3
    Green Bay 1-4
    Minnesota 1-4

My Packers looking better every week.

NFC North

Chicago 2-3

Detroit 2-3

Green Bay 1-4

Minnesota 1-4

My Packers looking better every week.

They have as good a chance as anybody else in that lame ass division. Talent-wise the Lions should take it, but those folls don't act like they want to win. They should be at least 4-1.

I think it's between the Bears and the Packers as of right now. I might lean with GB just because of Favre, but I don't know if he has enough help. At least the Bears do have a pretty decent defense and running game... the rookie QB scares me, though.

The Vikings are DONE. Tice is a dead man walking.