Cooking Strut question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm preparing dinner for some friends, two of whom do not eat any meats besides dairy and fish. I was thinking of preparing this lentil and sausage stew that I've made before with some success but while I can swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth, I need to find a vegetarian replacement for kielbasa. I admit: this is a lil new to me: I'm not used to cooking for vegetarians. Any suggestions? Or, alternatively, I was thinking of trying out a Cuban black bean stew and swapping out chorizo for soy-rizo though that recipe calls for four cups of chicken broth which I'd have to replace with vegetable broth and I don't know if that'd fuck the favor up.Any suggestions?Oliver

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I'm preparing dinner for some friends, two of whom do not eat any meats besides dairy and fish. I was thinking of preparing this lentil and sausage stew that I've made before with some success but while I can swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth, I need to find a vegetarian replacement for kielbasa. I admit: this is a lil new to me: I'm not used to cooking for vegetarians. Any suggestions?

Or, alternatively, I was thinking of trying out a Cuban black bean stew and swapping out chorizo for soy-rizo though that recipe calls for four cups of chicken broth which I'd have to replace with vegetable broth and I don't know if that'd fuck the favor up.

Any suggestions?

Oliver

O -

What about using fish/shrimp stock if shellfish also are acceptable? Tend to find the flavor's better when I employ those... As for the kielbasa, probably would opt out for some smoked/spicy fish in its stead...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ah, fish stock, duh, I didn't think about that...though I don't think fish stock would really work, flavor-wise, with either the lentils or black beans. I might have to go with a white bean stew instead...I could definitely see fish stock going with that.

Which would then lead me to ask: the white bean stew recipe calls for pancetta or bacon. Is there a way to get around that? Smoked tofu? (Aiya).

I'm preparing dinner for some friends, two of whom do not eat any meats besides dairy and fish. I was thinking of preparing this lentil and sausage stew that I've made before with some success but while I can swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth, I need to find a vegetarian replacement for kielbasa. I admit: this is a lil new to me: I'm not used to cooking for vegetarians. Any suggestions?

Or, alternatively, I was thinking of trying out a Cuban black bean stew and swapping out chorizo for soy-rizo though that recipe calls for four cups of chicken broth which I'd have to replace with vegetable broth and I don't know if that'd fuck the favor up.

Any suggestions?

Oliver

O -

What about using fish/shrimp stock if shellfish also are acceptable? Tend to find the flavor's better when I employ those... A for the kielbasa, probably would opt out for some smoked/spicy fish in its stead...

• What about using fish/shrimp stock if shellfish also are acceptable? Tend to find the flavor's better when I employ those... A for the kielbasa, probably would opt out for some smoked/spicy fish in its stead...

Good plan. Shrimp would be tasty too, especially if you can smoke/grill it. I've sometimes used dashi (japanese fish broth) in situations like this. I don't know of any veggie sausages, but there's a product called "smart ground" that works well for a ground beef substitute.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Which would then lead me to ask: the white bean stew recipe calls for pancetta or bacon. Is there a way to get around that? Smoked tofu? (Aiya).

My gut feeling (no pun intended) would be to go w/ something like smoked salmon/trout/etc. - to get that taste; the notion of smoked tofu doesn't seem like it would approximate the pancetta/bacon...

• Bacon is super hard to find a substitute for. I still use it to fry onions etc. in otherwise vegetarian soups.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    instead of substituting, which is often a pale imitiation, you might want to look in the direction of an entire new recipe. No meat is not that major of a restriction since you have lots of seafood available to you as an option.

Or are you worried about tackling a new recipe that is untested. If you feel more comfortable w/ a stew, perhaps look into a seafood bouillabaisse. It's a staple and you can find quite a few recipes for it online.

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/37898/

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I thought about a bouillabaisse but not having made one before, I wouldn't want to try my hand at it for company tomorrow.

I could always resort to a pasta but ho hum...that feels kind of dull to me.

instead of substituting, which is often a pale imitiation, you might want to look in the direction of an entire new recipe. No meat is not that major of a restriction since you have lots of seafood available to you as an option.

Or are you worried about tackling a new recipe that is untested. If you feel more comfortable w/ a stew, perhaps look into a seafood bouillabaisse. It's a staple and you can find quite a few recipes for it online.

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/37898/

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    tofurkey makes a version of fake italian sausage, and they come in a variety of flavors, from plain fake sausage to a spicy type. check it out. peace, pres.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    for something easy, delicious, and different (at least for most westerners) you could do a japanese style hot pot with seafood, mushrooms, and fall vegetables. here's a loose recipe:

take a couple quarts of cold water, soak a few pieces of konbu & a handful of dried shitakes torn into pieces(or other dried mushrooms) for 30 min. bring to a boil and strain. at this point you could add dried bontio flakes for a smokey flavor, or miso, or just season to taste with soy, mirin, and a pinch of dried chilies (what i like). you could also conceivably use some of the broth for a miso soup with tofu as a first course.

in any case you now have a delicious broth that you can build on. add some potatoes, sliced onions or leeks, thinly sliced carrots and other root vegetables, shellfish, smoked fish, fresh fish, whatever. also plenty of fresh musrooms--whatever's available, thinly sliced shitakes, maitake, enoki, matsutake (if you can find/afford them). maybe add a handful of greens towards the end of the cooking (mizuna, spinach, etc.) the main idea is you're buillding the flavor of the broth as you go, depending on what you add--just cut things to uniform size so everything cooks relatively quickly and evenly--the order in which things are listed is basically the order in which i would proceed to add them. finish with thinly sliced scallions or chives. you could also add ramen noodles or soba to the broth for additional substance or as another course.

even if you choose not to make it for company, i still recommend you check it out sometime.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Any suggestions?

Oliver

Just make your lentils with veg stock and no sausage. Done.

You could replace the sausage with a good firm stewing fish and "old
    bay seasoning". To make fish stock go to your seafood counter and ask
    if they have any heads and tails they will give you. I've never been
    charged for them. Simmer, strain; fish stock.

Pasta, seafood and a white sauce is easy and fancy and tasty if you
    ask me.

Now that we have that problem settled I have a question.

I am making a lamb stew and am wondering about spices. Garlic,
    corriander and cinnimon I think. Anything else?

I am marinating the lamb now in wine, vinegar, soy sauce, pear juice
    and honey. I am going to cook it tomorrow with potatoes, onions,
    carotts, squash and pears.

I was going to add some couscous, or should I serve it over couscous?

Other spices?

Dan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Here is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes. I actually made this dish tonight for some friends. I've started eating meat again but still like making this one.

Pad Thai

8 oz. rice noodles
    2 tsp. peanut oil
    2 medium red bell pepper, julienned
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
    4 oz. snow peas, trimmed
    4 oz. firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch thick matchsticks
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
    2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
    1/4 cup chopped cashews for garnish
    4 green onions, chopped for garnish
    2 oz. bean sprouts for garnish

Directions:

In large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. When water boils, add noodles, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain.

In large wok or skillet fry tofu in 1 tsp. peanut oil and remove when crispy.

Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and garlic and stir-fry 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, snow peas and tofu and stir-fry just until tender, about 4 minutes. Add soy sauce and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked noodles.

Spoon noodle mixture onto warm plates and garnish with cashews, green onions, cilantro, and bean sprouts.

• spark up the grill (weather permitting) and throw some finely seasoned and marinated veggies on there and maybe some fresh salmon or halibut (preferably smoked). there are also alot of fruits that taste great on the grill with the right seasoning (pineapples, pears, etc). marinate em in some sweet liquors to get that carmelization goin and man your guests will be happy.

have you considered a fat veggie stir fry?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Other spices?

Dan

Cumin is essential to lamb.
    I'd serve over couscous. I f it stay in the pot w/ the stew it might overcook.
    Plus it's a better presentation IMO.

Dont forget a Bay leaf for your stew.
    If you use enuff potatoes, you wont need couscous......too much starch.

Other spices?

Dan

Cumin is essential to lamb.
    I'd serve over couscous. I f it stay in the pot w/ the stew it might overcook.
    Plus it's a better presentation IMO.

Dont forget a Bay leaf for your stew.
    If you use enuff potatoes, you wont need couscous......too much starch.

Thank you. Cumin and bay leaf, will do. Turns out I don't have couscous, I think I threw it out because of moths. I've got some little orzo pasta so I will use that. I think your right about the potatoes, I'll just leave them out.

Dan

• moths!!! they are terrorizing shit in philly, dan. i got all my grains in the fridge.
    cumin lamb yes. over the grain yes. couscous would be great. have you messed with barley lately? i had some last week and it was delicious.

was the lamb local??

moths!!! they are terrorizing shit in philly, dan. i got all my grains in the fridge.
    cumin lamb yes. over the grain yes. couscous would be great. have you messed with barley lately? i had some last week and it was delicious.

was the lamb local??

Local organic lamb from the farmers market.

Moths are part of buying organic grains. I try to buy grains in small quantities and keep them sealed but the moths get in everything anyway. And my house is full or spiders, they should be eating the moths.

Barley. I've mostly eaten it in taboulie. Not my favorite.

Dan