female DJs that DON'T spin techno

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
What non-techno female DJs out there actually have skills? Only one that pops into my mind is DJ Shortee

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    my homegirls - DJ SELLY, REBORN, SHAREE.........i know alot of females who dont spin techno.

Do you mean big club/touring/supercelebgig/dj?

• These girls don't necessarily have impressive technical wikka-wikka skratchpiklz skillz (then again neither do I), but I've seen firsthand that they have the deep 60s-70s original vinyl records that not only impress the trainspotters but keep the dancefloor on fire, too:

Boogaloo Pussycat (Berlin)
    Miss Shingaling (NY)
    Mia Attack (IN)
    Jodie Artichoke (SF)
    Leenda Karina (LA)
    Rena LaReine (LA)
    Peppermintwist (NYC)
    BossyBoots (NYC)
    Soul Sisters Jennie + Jaime (NYC)

Also gotta give props to my homegirl Chela (NC) who keeps things live on the hiphop party side, cutting up both vinyl AND Serato, in addition keeping it lively on the mic.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Kuttin Kandi
    Pam the Funkstress
    The retired Lily Tran (and her younger sister, our very own Audamn)
    Where's Netta at, too?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Where's Netta at, too?

She's in SS retirement with RillyTruffle, another female DJ that don't spin techno...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    DJ Elle (Sexerz)
    DJ Rekha (Basement Bhangra)
    DJ Lindsey (Negroclash)
    Justine D (Motherfucker)
    Abby Klein
    Antonia

• Options
    MissBassie (Toronto)
    Dalia (Toronto)
    Chocolate(Toronto)

K.

• Where's Netta at, too?

She's at the gym[/b], but thanks for askin'...

• cellski and deandroid

• slushslush 691 Posts
    dalia is doooooope

i have to add my sister broken chameleon, she is holding down my hometown right now with 60's soul and rock

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    DJ Stef motherfuckers

and there's this one other one from SF, doesn't play out much anymore, okay on the cut though, hmmmmmm, who could I be thinking of????????

• my pal Lisa...aka DJ Wild in The Streets....like the DJs soulmarcosa mentioned, no turntablism, but just amazing taste and amazing records...when we had a weekly together a few years ago, she hipped me to some cool stuff, like the Cake records for instance...

• my pal Lisa...aka DJ Wild in The Streets....

SHE CAN GO WILD IN THE STREETS OF NC ANYTIME

• DJ Stef motherfuckers

and there's this one other one from SF, doesn't play out much anymore, okay on the cut though, hmmmmmm, who could I be thinking of????????

double DOH!

you guys(gals) rock

Also gotta mention my homegirl Miss Leema, she's reppin it big in Germany.

• St Louis -> Agile One and Anisto. Skills, selection, and hotness to boot. Great hip hop DJs.

Two-woman tag team funk / hip hop / groovy music powerhouse in Minneapolis -> Ebony and Ivory.

Also, Ivory (Jen Downham)'s mother Joan Downham has been known to hit the decks on occasion and absolutely kills it every time. Dean Martin, Irish folk music, Isley Brothers "Fight the Power," little old lady reading glasses, arguably my favorite local DJ.

Portland -> Deanne Rhymes and Just Alice hold it down!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Where are the Montreal people droppin' Killa Jewel???

Girl can rock it.

There are alot in Toronto mind you... I would hate to drop some names and forget anyone HA...

Saw Missbassie lastnight! You played some great chunes! I give her the "I can put back a pretty hard drink and can still play rekords" award.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    aand there's this one other one from SF, doesn't play out much anymore, okay on the cut though, hmmmmmm, who could I be thinking of????????

Quit frontin' Anna, everyone knows you spin techno like there's no tomorrow.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Spinderella's Not A Fella (But A Girl DJ)[/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Also gotta give props to my homegirl Chela (NC) who keeps things live on the hiphop party side, cutting up both vinyl AND Serato, in addition keeping it lively on the mic.

I got one of her tapes somewhere.

• a good friend of mine just married cellski...small world! does she mostly spin hiphop?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this girl is on some holy what the fuck type mess

http://www.myspace.com/tyradesaigon

Plus Aser has her poster over his bed.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

The retired Lily Tran (and her younger sister, our very own Audamn)

thanks for reminding me, i need to bug her for her old mixtapes! she has her hands full with baby these days

i can't believe it took like 9 posts for DJ Stef to come up

DJ Nako

DJ Anna