RECORDS SCIENCE (with CHICO MAGNETIC BAND MP3)

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Some weeks ago I found a box called "The Colombia Princeton Electronic Music Center Tenth Anniversary Celebration". The music on the records ranges from genuinly spacy to dull sound experiments. The best thing about this release are the pictures in the accompanying booklet.

Here you see the entire crew of The Colombia Princeton Electronic Music Center:

Here's Ussachevski at work:

And another one. I really have no idea how the machines worked they were using, but they surely look good:

And from another, Dutch elpee, pics from Johan Timman working on his "Trip into the Body":

Now I'm interested in all these scientist/musicians so if you have other pics or stories, please post 'm.

Here's one more pic, never heard of this invention:

Comments

• bbc radiophonic workshop, really interesting stuff inc. dr who theme (i think she in the picture made it)

That record is one of the best in the genre IMHO. It's loaded with weird short tracks. Even some really early electronic stuff for Arabic broadcasters. Facemelt.

That Scott release is an example of how things should be published! Beautiful (Dutch) production.

• but teh daddy is Raymond scott, there was an amzing cd box of his stuff out a couple of years back, really amazing stuff titled Manhattan Research INc. he invented loads of wierd machines , the clavivox, circle machine, electronium and so on. collbaorated with bob moog.

Raymond Scott is the shit. I heard a great special on NPR about the time that box set came out. The shit he did was so ahead of the times.

• Okay, the best thing that can happen I think is when a music/science professor teams up with a psych/funk group. It happened on Messe pour le Temps Present and on that Maledictus Sound record. Well the guy who did the FX on that last one is Jean-Pierre Massiera. This dude did his best work on the following LP:

There's one FX track on it that's crazy. I think also the psych and funk people should check it out because it's hitting you from every angle.

chico - pop orbite

• drunk bump: check that samplle, It;s cool.